If you buy a Hellcat and is being delivered by an auto transport co. ADVICE!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Michael Stevens, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Michael Stevens

Michael Stevens Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you or someone you know is going to purchase a Hellcat and have it delivered by a transport company I have some advice for you. First, this transport industry is ran very loose and from my experience, disorganized. Get your estimate of delivery date and promise no one will drive the car in writing.
    A lot of the drivers are re dispatched and detoured so they can pick up more work while they are heading to your destination, and of course there may be a jackass that wants to rally your car. I know I would be tempted. And if you can, record the calls with the transport company and dispatching company.
    I suggest you work closely with your sales contact and have him/her ship the car with the black fob only and fedex the rest of the fobs and documentation including manuals, contracts and accessories.
    Next, have them place some kind of a cheap tracking device or pre register and activate the uconnect service so you can access and document the location of your vehicle at anytime.
    Third, and what I think is most important, is have the sales associate reset the saved top speed and saved gforce numbers.Have the sales associate take pictures of the display screen after he resets those numbers and have them texted or emailed to you for reference. Also the odometer. You are going to have to get familiar with the D.I.D. anyway so you may as well do it while your car is en route. Do yourself the service and learn how to read these numbers as soon as your car arrives. Did you know there is a legal document in every vehicle transaction called an odometer statement? So what I am telling you is that the state laws are very strict when it comes to putting vehicles on the road.
    By now, you may or may not have figured out where this is all going. If you continue to read this blarticle (Blog/Article), you will find out just how important it is to do these suggested procedures.
    First of all,you will be able to tell if someone drove your car recklessly or otherwise, without prior authorization. To me, that is a HUGE deal. I wish someone would have told me this before I had my car delivered. I could have proven in a court of law if so desired, that someone drove my car, perhaps recklessly, without authorization and without knowledge
    If you have a signed contract from the transport company and they violate your trust and drive your property around, I assure you, that is not good business. Not only that, it borders on being criminal and at the very least, breach of contract.
    All the evidence you need will be on the display and if you know how to access it immediately, you can document the display with an image while it is still on the transport truck or before you sign the inspection sheet to take delivery, and the driver will have no clue what you are doing. If they do ask, just tell them you are making a photo album which is exactly what you are doing. If you see a gforce history of lets say .60 or above,and/or a top speed of over 80mph,you have documentation that your car was driven beyond the scope of normal driving. And yes that is called evidence. You can then decide if you even want to take delivery of the vehicle. Keep in mind that Dodge requires a 500 miles break in period and they are very specific about how exactly that should be done.So 80mph is a number that may even affect the warranty. Talk about have someone over a barrel. If some idiot, that is supposed to be a professional,violates your trust and takes your baby out for a joy ride, they deserve to get spanked.
    My car was 6 days late, I was told the tractor broke down and required a part that needed to be shipped to repair it. I believed them for the first late day ( like an idiot ) but when the first late day turned into the second late day I began to get suspicious. That is where the tracking would have came into play.Best case scenerio would have been to have uconnect track the car but because I had not registered the car with uconnect, they could not help me. That would have been great to have all the location information documented through uconnect and Dodge without the transport company knowing it.
    Then on late day three, I began to ask the whereabouts of my vehicle so I could dispatch my own flatbed to pick the car up. Of course the dispatcher could not contact the driver and the dispatcher never asked where the truck that broke down was. Total blatant lie! Late day four and I was seriously losing my patience and getting very angry. I was then told the truck was repaired and the car was on the way. The dispatcher failed to ask the driver of the location of the car at that point also. ( of course ) Late day five and I was told that the part for the truck had been delivered but the truck was not repaired but they did know where the car was. Amazing on how it was only 200 miles away.. They were just buying more time by being dishonest.
    Upon arrival, I was so relieved that the car made it without any cosmetic damage, that I just signed the damn paper and took the car. Luckily everything was fine
    I was never sure that they drove my car, but I did suspect it. The only evidence I had was an additional 2 miles(attributed to having to load and unload the vehicle several times)and some excessive brake dust.
    I did register a complaint to the dispatch company and received a partial rebate of 200.00 dollars. I also wrote a scathing YELP REVIEW against the actual transport company. I was later contacted and offerd a 250.00 gift card to retract my review. I can only imagine whatI could have done to the reputaion of a transport company that violated their terms of contract if I had the proper eveidence. Believe me, I am as mellow as they come but if someone crosses the line, I will go to the bitter end with whatever the issue may be.
    I dont know about you, but when I purchased this car , I was purchasing more than just a vehicle. I purchased a dream, a treasure, and hopefully a family heirloom. I will be damned if I just sit here knowing what I know what happened to me can be prevented. All you have to do is focus and spend the time and do the footwork!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Michael Stevens

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you or someone you know is going to purchase a Hellcat and have it delivered by a transport company I have some advice for you. First, this transport industry is ran very loose and from my experience, disorganized. Get your estimate of delivery date and promise no one will drive the car in writing.
    A lot of the drivers are re dispatched and detoured so they can pick up more work while they are heading to your destination, and of course there may be a jackass that wants to rally your car. I know I would be tempted. And if you can, record the calls with the transport company and dispatching company.
    I suggest you work closely with your sales contact and have him/her ship the car with the black fob only and fedex the rest of the fobs and documentation including manuals, contracts and accessories.
    Next, have them place some kind of a cheap tracking device or pre register and activate the uconnect service so you can access and document the location of your vehicle at anytime.
    Third, and what I think is most important, is have the sales associate reset the saved top speed and saved gforce numbers.Have the sales associate take pictures of the display screen after he resets those numbers and have them texted or emailed to you for reference. Also the odometer. You are going to have to get familiar with the D.I.D. anyway so you may as well do it while your car is en route. Do yourself the service and learn how to read these numbers as soon as your car arrives. Did you know there is a legal document in every vehicle transaction called an odometer statement? So what I am telling you is that the state laws are very strict when it comes to putting vehicles on the road.
    By now, you may or may not have figured out where this is all going. If you continue to read this blarticle (Blog/Article), you will find out just how important it is to do these suggested procedures.
    First of all,you will be able to tell if someone drove your car recklessly or otherwise, without prior authorization. To me, that is a HUGE deal. I wish someone would have told me this before I had my car delivered. I could have proven in a court of law if so desired, that someone drove my car, perhaps recklessly, without authorization and without knowledge
    If you have a signed contract from the transport company and they violate your trust and drive your property around, I assure you, that is not good business. Not only that, it borders on being criminal and at the very least, breach of contract.
    All the evidence you need will be on the display and if you know how to access it immediately, you can document the display with an image while it is still on the transport truck or before you sign the inspection sheet to take delivery, and the driver will have no clue what you are doing. If they do ask, just tell them you are making a photo album which is exactly what you are doing. If you see a gforce history of lets say .60 or above,and/or a top speed of over 80mph,you have documentation that your car was driven beyond the scope of normal driving. And yes that is called evidence. You can then decide if you even want to take delivery of the vehicle. Keep in mind that Dodge requires a 500 miles break in period and they are very specific about how exactly that should be done.So 80mph is a number that may even affect the warranty. Talk about have someone over a barrel. If some idiot, that is supposed to be a professional,violates your trust and takes your baby out for a joy ride, they deserve to get spanked.
    My car was 6 days late, I was told the tractor broke down and required a part that needed to be shipped to repair it. I believed them for the first late day ( like an idiot ) but when the first late day turned into the second late day I began to get suspicious. That is where the tracking would have came into play.Best case scenerio would have been to have uconnect track the car but because I had not registered the car with uconnect, they could not help me. That would have been great to have all the location information documented through uconnect and Dodge without the transport company knowing it.
    Then on late day three, I began to ask the whereabouts of my vehicle so I could dispatch my own flatbed to pick the car up. Of course the dispatcher could not contact the driver and the dispatcher never asked where the truck that broke down was. Total blatant lie! Late day four and I was seriously losing my patience and getting very angry. I was then told the truck was repaired and the car was on the way. The dispatcher failed to ask the driver of the location of the car at that point also. ( of course ) Late day five and I was told that the part for the truck had been delivered but the truck was not repaired but they did know where the car was. Amazing on how it was only 200 miles away.. They were just buying more time by being dishonest.
    Upon arrival, I was so relieved that the car made it without any cosmetic damage, that I just signed the damn paper and took the car. Luckily everything was fine
    I was never sure that they drove my car, but I did suspect it. The only evidence I had was an additional 2 miles(attributed to having to load and unload the vehicle several times)and some excessive brake dust.
    I did register a complaint to the dispatch company and received a partial rebate of 200.00 dollars. I also wrote a scathing YELP REVIEW against the actual transport company. I was later contacted and offerd a 250.00 gift card to retract my review. I can only imagine whatI could have done to the reputaion of a transport company that violated their terms of contract if I had the proper eveidence. Believe me, I am as mellow as they come but if someone crosses the line, I will go to the bitter end with whatever the issue may be.
    I dont know about you, but when I purchased this car , I was purchasing more than just a vehicle. I purchased a dream, a treasure, and hopefully a family heirloom. I will be damned if I just sit here knowing what I know what happened to me can be prevented. All you have to do is focus and spend the time and do the footwork!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like a lesson learned...

Exactly why I did the fly-buy-drive myself. Saved the frustration and got the vehicle broke in properly on the drive home. Morning flight and all day drive home. Great 600 mile experience that proved again that there is no better help than self help!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2015/392

2015/392 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. That's a long story. I just purchased a charger hellcat and had it picked up in OH on a Thursday and delivered to me Sunday in south Florida still fully detailed. I paid for an enclosed trailer and it had 10 miles at the dealership and 10 miles on it delivered to me. You don't wanna be cheap with the delivery of your vehicle. I used Grand Turinsmo Motorsports in West Palm Beach for the transport. I bought the car from Ed Tomko in Oh and the process couldn't of been easier. They overnighted me the paperwork and I sent it back with a check. I scheduled the transport and done. Gotta pay the extra for a real medal enclosed trailer. IMO.

But back to the OP story. I don't blame you and I'm glad your cat is fine. Great advise for people out there. That would of drove me INSANE as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Stevens

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am detail orientated so I have been told.I wanted to be as clear and concise as I can. Plus by writing it down, it helps me vent the frustration!
    I went with this particular transport service as a referral from the dealership. Little did I know that the dispatcher basically used a company that was next in line from the driver pool. Apparently, she did not even know the name of the business she was hiring. Did she tell me that up front? Hell no.
    If this blarticle helps even a single person, I feel that it was time well spent to submit the information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Stevens

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was seriously considering doing a fly-buy-drive but I could not find the time, it was 1500mi away, and I was naive to think I was in good hands and that I would be taken care of.

7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Holy crap. Thank you for posting this valuable information. Sorry to here you went through that

8. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Intercity Lines (Jay Leno, Wayne, Gas Monkey all use them) delivered my 1934 Packard from Georgia to NJ no problems. That car is worth a lot more than my Hellcat (which I drove home in the rain and snow from Minnesota to NJ). The bigger the transporter the better the service. Stick with Intercity or Reliable Carriers. And any carrier driver who knows anything about cars will know to reset the top speed and g-force gauges after their joyride. They probably even know how to unlock valet mode. Sorry to hear you had problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. B5Cat

B5Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I purchased my cat in TX and had it shipped to me in NJ by enclosed transport and it was perfect and on time. They even delivered it to me on Sunday!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Mike for the story. Might I offer yet one more thing to your list.
    Have your sales person set the Valet mode to your password/ pin of choosing.

It might dissuade someone from jerking around with it.

11. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Some great points here about using a transport service but ...

I really did buy this car to drive it, the first day I owned it and every day after. I'd encourage all that purchase out of their area to use the fly-buy-drive method. If you search this forum you'll find some great recaps from early HellCat adoptors that elected to personally go get their Hellcats and drive them home when FCA was playing order/allocation games in MY15.

One early adoptor that comes to mind flew from Philly to Phoenix to get his HellCat with freezing temps and blue painter's tape to protect the paint. He documented the trip back...made a great story that goes with a great car.

SO, go get it yourself! Take a family member or a buddy and create a "Road Trip" memory!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep...Intercity delivered my HellCat about a month ago. Nothing but praise for them. I think buyer beware if going with a transport broker.

13. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Wow, I'd be bummed if someone abused my car on it's way to me. But are there no Dodge dealers in Orange County, from which you could have bought your Hellcat? What am I missing?

14. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    As mentioned above. Stick with Reliable or Intercity, a Hellcat to them is just an "average" ho-hum car. I'm in the shipping business and wouldn't use anyone else.

Be sure to read your bill-of-lading, it is the legal contract between you and the carrier and very cut-n-dry. When the driver picks up the vehicle, they should/may/will inspect the vehicle with a fine-tooth comb noting ANY deficiencies and pre-existing damage. The shipper/consignor will sign an get a copy of this condition report. This protects them come delivery when there is a "new" scratch or any kind of deficiency.

Warson

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have shipped 7 cars and 4 motorcycles over last 10 years, never had an issue.
    I had shipper take pics of speedo and car, and obviously had driver sign condition report.

Do your homework and use common sense and there should be no issue

• Agree Agree x 1