If you drove your Hellcat during the winter, please check this thread...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Bandit, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For those that were early adopters, and had their Hellcat on the road during the winter last year (even the waning winter months), I have a question.

I have the summer tires on of course, and when we get below 50 degrees, it'll be like driving on slicks. We can see temps down into the 30's, and we do get a short time with snow and ice (she will be garaged on days with snow or ice). On all previous SRT8s I've owned, I was able to drive them all in Minnesota winters only excluding the heaviest snowfalls, so I know that running the black key, turning the power down more, and running all traction control systems... the car can do it with the right rubber.

What tire did you run on colder pavement, and did they do the job? Would you go back to that tire again, or are you looking for a better solution?

I'm really only looking for legitimate replies, so if you have never driven your Cat in winter temps, please don't post speculation, or comment about how this car is going to be worth a bazillion dollars in 5 years, so you'd never think of driving it on a cold winter road... thanks!

2. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know that on my previous SRT8, I used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for driving year round, and they were fantastic!! In my opinion, they're the best all-season performance tires out there.

FYI, my previous Challenger SRT had a blower on it, so it was a powerful car as well, like the Hellcat. You won't be opening it up WOT in cold weather anyways I would think.

3. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not my HC but an SRT8 Blizzaks were great but they do wear fast, Toyo's are okay as well but same problem, the Dunlops were absolute Sheite

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sounds promising.

Nooo, like I said, on "mild days", I may still use the red key, but tuning it down to 500, and on very cold/slick days... black key AND detuning it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

All noted, thanks!! We have a short winter, so if I can get 4000-5000 miles out of them, I'm happy.

6. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the summer tires and I drove it a few times when it was dry (absolutely no ice/ snow/ moisture at all) and 30 degrees (F) out last winter i.e. a few trips to the dealership, a trip to the window tinter, a visit to my dad, etc. - short trips coming out of a heated garage).

As long as I was easy on the gas, it did fine - never spun the tires. I don't recommend it for extended periods or daily occurrences i the cold, but it's not like they will shatter if they get a tad cold for a couple hours. Been driving on them all summer long (just over 10k miles and still got 3/32" on the rears - I don't do long burnouts). I think I can get 12k miles out of them.

Also would not be good if it's parked outside or in an unheated garage for extended periods of time.

I actually like the P-Zeros (not planning on taking it to the track) and probably will replace them with the same. Most people don't like them, but they work pretty good for me and hook pretty good if I roll into it a tad.

YMMV...

7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks, sounds like you've had a good experience. When i read the manual about not driving these tires on roads colder than 50 degrees, it made me think back to my GT500 and my two 06 GTO's that said the same... tried them all and had terrible results. In one case, It took me several tries and a lot of cursing to get the car to even move from a stop LOL Granted, they were manual transmissions and my Cat is an auto, so I might fare better just because of that, really.

8. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh yeah, I left that part out: mine is an A8 as well. I don't think I'd want to do it much if it was a manual... just don't stomp on it and remember to take the on ramps mellow ;)

9. rrroscoe

rrroscoe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'll be running Blizzaks on 06-10 SRT rims this winter. Have the same set up on my Magnum SRT8. Never had any issue with the Magnum, don't anticipate any with the Cat

10. Hellyeah1

Hellyeah1 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I wondered the same. I live in South Dakota and I have a jeep as my daily driver but plan on taking the cat out every once in awhile during some nice days in the winter(sounds ridiculous I know). I have the all season tires so I should be ok then right. I don't plan on driving during bad wx conditions but you never know in the Midwest. It can be sunny and blizzarding out at the same time.

11. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Delivered 11/29 and drove it through our tough Michigan Winter. Blizzaks did awesome, I would not drive this car in any snow or ice without a Winter tire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Arctic Cat!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DrRouse

DrRouse Rookie Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I recently read about the summer Pirellis on Tire Rack and it states that Pirelli will not honor the warranty for tire cracking if used at temperatures below 50.
    !
    So the issue is not just traction, but potential tire failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    P-Zero Sottozero II are great snow tires

• Like Like x 1
  15. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have a M6 and the all seasons, drove thru the winter with no problems... i avoided driving out on the highway on fresh snow... Nav did take me on some icy snowy roads and i never had a problem .