If your on the fence about a 392 or a Hellcat......coming from a Jeep SRT

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by evperry, Jun 19, 2016.

1. evperry

evperry Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Since March I have had a Hellcat Charger on order. The dealer lied about the allocation much to my surprise as dealers are known to run honest upstanding businesses..........................Oddly enough, being a true NYC self absorbed manic I only thought that the dealers around here were lying maniacs. Apparently this exists in other parts of the country.

I had a Chrysler Lemon Law buy back of my 2014 SRT Jeep. The check was coming and I had to get a car right away. In the last few weeks I have researched everything from the M Series (been there and done that with an E46), AMG C63, Ford Focus RS, Ford SHO, Shelby, JCW Mini,The 2017 Camaro (best looking car out IMO), etc. I even started in with pickups trucks. Then my Bro in Law says "Why not just get the 392 and call it a day". Life changing prophetic words.

I will say this. This has been the BEST decision I have made all year. Keep in mind that the extra pressure of a car is compounded by the fact that its a busy time of the year in NYC Public construction. I have missed every single bid in the last 6 weeks, squeakers. The point is I dont have the time to fly across the country to buy a car or email 20 dealers a night and call another 5 or even step foot in a dealership to talk to sales guy trying to move a American car 15k over sticker. Nope.

The 392 is:

1- Readily available
    2- Available at invoice without even negotiating.
    3- EXTREMELY fast
    4- Sound awesome. On a cold start it sounded the same as the Hellcat to my ears.
    5- Look great
    6- You save 20k.

No nonsense, I made a deal in 5 mins and picked up the car 5 days later.

By the way coming out of a Jeep SRT you will wonder how and why they even call it an SRT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good choice. I loved my 392. Worlds better than the old 6.1

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on your purchase!

SRT is now the "performance brand" across all Mopar family vehicles, including Chrysler, RAM, Dodge, and Jeep.

RAM is apparently it's own brand now, although they appear to be still only sold at Dodge Dealers (and not stand alone Chrysler dealers).

4. ranger75

ranger75 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    392 is an AWESOME car! I really like the shaker scat pack myself...! Love the hellcat so far!

5. evperry

evperry Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    From the hellcat down to the sxt, Chrysler is making a great product.

The crash of 2008 was a blessing in disguise.

I think American cars are just plain better than the foreign cars now a days. If it's choice of a hellcat or cls amg I'm going Hellcat all day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love your choice and never look back
    Be safe at work and hit those bids!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dennis_landmark_SRT

dennis_landmark_SRT Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the 392 evperry, I was awsome talking to you a cpl weeks ago, sorry we werent able to hook up on the hellcat,
    But the 392 is so sweet !!!!!!!
    Best of luck with it and post som e pics of it when u get a chance.

8. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg I had an SRT Jeep before my hellcat, I loved it but the cat was calling my name. The 392 is still an awesome car, plenty for the roads and a great performance bargain congrats!

• Like Like x 2
  9. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's way too many Hellcats on the ground to settle, in my opinion. I paid $2k under for mine (a8) back in march. A dealer near me has one at $5k off that I posted about in the purchasing section. Good for you if you're truly happy with the 392, but in my experience, if that truly wasn't the car you were looking for, the thirst for a Hellcat will always be there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations on bagging your 392 and enjoy. Just don't ever drive a Hellcat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. KoolKat

KoolKat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on your purchase. I have a PCP Challenger Hellcat and my son just got a new SRT Grand Cherokee. I love them both. Each has its own character. The 392 is a great engine. My son added a Stainless Works exhaust and Injen intake and it has that deep, gutteral, Mopar sound. I can see why the Grand Cherokee SRT is called an SRT because this vehicle really rocks. Very fast vehicle. IMG_6164.JPG 3294b424-7897-4967-9dc8-c45b73020f27.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. evperry

evperry Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ahh, the thirst is gone. That extra 20k is awesome.

I love the Hellcat, IMO its the best car on the road. However, I pay cash for cars and I will never hit a track or likely even use launch control. I dig the car for the look and sound. I dont think it would have made sense for to spend the extra coin.

Ever since I hit my 40's I kinda see life a different way. I want the same stuff but private school payments and employees to pay make me think a bit different.

Now if that Jeep Hellcat hits at a reasonable price and the cash is coming in then all bets are off. That and now I have my eyes on a ford focus RS for the winter.

13. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Understandable. I'm 32 and a bit impulsive.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Enjoy your 392...fine decision! I looked hard at the 392 and fell in love with a black one in Houston, but chose the HC in the end. Great ride buddy.

15. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was in the same boat as far as saying "screw it! I'm getting a 392!!" I've wanted this Hellcat since it was announced, but got sick of waiting. Then a friend of mine said "why not just wait it out and save up the extra money?" I was worried about waiting because a lot of people were saying it was going to be a 2 year run (limited) kind of car (they lied).

Short story long...you made a decision that worked for you and YOU are happy! That's all that matters. You made a fine decision. Awesome car!! Me on the other hand...I'm soooo glad I waited!! :D