If you're daily driving on Drag radials, step in here >>>>

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Bandit, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Please only respond if you have first-hand experience. Thanks.

So with winter being pretty much done, it's time to rip these crappy all-seasons off the car and go back to my summer tires. This time however, I wanna run DR's in the back. I have a few questions that would take forever for me to cobble together from all the various DR threads.

1) Is it going to make that much of a difference on the street? I break my tires loose all the time, I do drive my car hard. Quick acceleration from stoplights (when safe to do so) and the like. One thing I hate is that we have SO much power that you can't usually jump out onto the street ahead of oncoming traffic because you're more likely to spin the tires if you gas it hard, and that's an invitation to disaster. If the DR's really will grip better than the stock P-Zero summer tires (without needing burnouts to heat them up), then I will definitely be going that route.

2) I have no illusions about tread life, however... I would like to get a few thousand miles out of them. My original summer tires lasted 5k miles, and I pushed them to 6k. I'd like to think that I can get 4-5k miles out of DRs but I just don't know. While it varies due to how you drive, realize as I said before that I do drive my car hard. No burnouts though. Not my style.

3) Have you found ONE tire that excels at either 1 or 2, or at BOTH? I am leaning towards the Nittos right now. I hear the MTs just don't last long enough.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that's all I ran is a DR. The Mickey's are the best but don't last and can't drive in the rain.and to me the Nitto's last longer but don't bite as well

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, the Nittos 555 have worked well for me. Much better traction (see my avatar). Ive got about 5000 miles on mine so far and its driven hard.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I tried Nittos and Mickey Thompson on my 2013 Challenger 426 stroker. The MTs (305/35/20 ET Streets) hooked better on the street and on the track....You can get 4,000+ miles depending on road type and how hard you drive.

You will get much better traction on the street but they will break loose. DRs need heat to get max traction.

5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

How do they fare in the rain? We get serious rain here through portions of the summer.

6. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run Mickey Street II DR on the road, it is just not safe, IMO, to run a hard street tire on the rear.

7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Not safe in what way?

8. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yeah, I'll need a compromise. It needs to be able to drive in the rain. A little less sticky is fine as long as it is stickier than stock tires.

9. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mickey makes a rain rated DR, the Street II, are rated for rain. If you run a hard tire, you have to drive with a egg under the gas pedal, the car will break the tires loose in almost any gear and you will stop to car sideways, even with traction control on. That is why I say it is not safe with hard rear tires. IMO, no fun driving the car with an egg under the gas pedal.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    nittos work well for me daily driver but never in the rain. plus running 28 lbs hook nice.

11. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the NT05r and its night and day difference even between them and the regular NT05 I run in 315 size. I won't even comment how bad the stock 275 are after running either of these Nitto in 315.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not good in the rain. the7y hydroplane real easy. i wont drive these in the rain.

yes, i agree, the stock summer tires are better than the all seasons but the all seasons will break loose up to 50 mph or so when you stomp it. sucks when you go to pass and you get sideways as youre next to the car youre passing. the dr helped stop that for the most part

Yup! the stock tires break loose at will.

Yup! never in the rain!!

13. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have run mt's on my cat for a year. its just not safe to drive with the stock tires on the car if your gonna get on it. car is all over the place. my car is not a daily driver but a weekend warrior. good luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

Anyone try Michelin PS2 305 35 20 as a compromise? Any better than stock at thee track?

15. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ran Nitto 555R all Summer, better traction and no issues in the rain. (Until they get to be nearly bare and then it scared the crap out of me LOL)

• Like Like x 1