Imperfections in your Xpel Clearbra

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Driver72, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Who has had the Xpel Clearbra put on, and after going over it, how many areas did you find imperfections?
    If you have a few pics post them up.
    I have found several areas that I'm not entirely pleased with (specs, scuff marks, a small crease or two, and what appears to be one or two "stretch" marks). Around one of the orange reflectors, he did a bad cut and there is a small tear as well.
    Hardly noticeable unless you look directly at it, but still.
    He offered to "redo" that area if it bothered me. It kind of does.
    But I also am bothered a bit by the other imperfections.

I've had clearbras put on 4-5 of my other cars in the past, and there is always a few imperfections, as it's kind of like trying to put down a large sticker on a surface that's not perfectly flat, but on the Hellcat, it seems like there are more imperfections than I remember in past Clearbra installations.

So is the Hellcats front end just really difficult to put the Xpel on, and it's caused a few more small imperfections, and I just live with them (again to the average person, you'd never see it, but to me, I looked it over with a fine tooth comb, and they are there).
    I'm taking the car back tomorrow to go over these with him, and I worry about the two or three larger bubble areas that have water trapped in there, I don't want them to dry and not lay flat on the bumper. But again, for $1,300 I covered a decent area of the car, but was expecting a bit more perfection.

2. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For water bubbles, stick them with a straight pin and push the water out

3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

In the past I've watched installer insert a tiny hypodermic needle and suck the water out, same if it was an air bubble.
    i'm going to take car back to installer today and have them do it.
    thanks

4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I have a few like that, they look like tiny white spots, not too many. I'll take some pics later and post them here. Not sure if it is worth going back to the installer or not for me.

5. rick arrieta

rick arrieta Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My girlfriend. I don't know it just sounded silly. Like something Victoria Secrets would come up with.

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i had 3 vehicles Xpeled this past month

my truck was the first...it has stretch marks and a couple of mini flaws

i decided to take it to someone better

my HC and my GT500 are almost flawless...0 stretch marks

dirt(small bumps) on the HC....but i was told it was dirt in the paint......gt500 that is 3 years old and has never been clay bared has 0 dirt/bumps......Dodge really has crappy paint...the more you look the more body flaws and paint flaws you will find....

the Xpel on the front of my HC is flawless....i think you have a bad installer...i think you paid more than me too (i only did 1/3rd of the hood and i think i paid around $1200)

if you lay down next to my HC or GT500 and put your face up to the doors i can see a white spot or 2.....nothing you would ever see from normal viewing....

no white spots on hood/front or anything viewable from standing over the car

7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I went back to the installer. There was a few small bubbles, that were still wet, so he assured me they would dry.
    We did find 2 or 3 small bubble like bumps that had air in them, he removed them with a small syringe, no more issues there. The stretch marks I found were because after laying the front hood strip down, he found a small hair about 3-4 inches in from the edge. When he lifted it up to remove the hair, the stretch marks appeared. He said I could come back when I have some time and he will remove that strip and put a new one on.
    The $1,200 included
    Bikini Hood that goes up above the hood scoop and heat exchangers
    Full front bumper, upper and lower
    Front sides of the 1/4 panels up to the front of the wheel wells
    Full side rocker panels, about 6" up from bottom of car and running all along the bottom.
    Rear 1/4 panel behind the rear tires
    Back of the side view mirrors
    Under the door handles
    Along the door edge to avoid door ding chips
    Section on the back trunk from below the DODGE extending out to lights and wrapped below. Area where you would grab to close trunk.

Sure I may have spent an extra $100-200 on him over somewhere else, but he's know for doing a lot of high end cars.
    Apparently the week before my Hellcat, he did his first one for one of the local NBA players.
    He also did a bunch for one of the LeMans owners, who brought in a Porsche 918 recently for a full car wrap.
    So I know he does a lot of high end clients and cars. It was just his 2nd Hellcat, so he hadn't done a lot and each one is a new learning curve to figure out the best way to go about laying it down.
    In the end, I'm super happy with it, looks great now.