Impressions after a month

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Aaron Vogel, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, so I had my car 1 month today (now she sleeps until my return in July :(). But either way, my views on the car have been really good. I was although expecting it to be more of a "handful" to drive. I watched all these videos, and read all these articles about how you have to be careful of the throttle, etc. I have found this car to be VERY easy to drive, regardless of the mode I am in. I haven't driven with TC fully off, but I also haven't had a need to. Even pushing the car pretty hard, I have only had the TC kick in a couple times. How it compares to my old SRT8? The power in the last one was more violent, but this is more impressive with how the power comes in, how it pulls, and how its all managed. Overall, I am very happy with my Hellcat :) I just was expecting "more". Maybe I am biased? I went from a SC Chally SRT8 at 550RWHP to a Hellcat at 680ish?. So maybe it just wasn't a huge jump in power from what I was use to. Who knows haha, but either way, love the car. Sure it has had a few issues over all, and I know someone always says "stupid dodge" etc. But we all got a first run of a first model year car, and we all know better haha. But we all didn't care, we wanted to. So, when little problems come up, we just have to accept them, smile big and move on. Now I can't wait to get back in July and get her back. I "might" ship here back here to PA and do a cross country drive back. We shall see. :D

• Like Like x 4
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i havent had any control issues either...i find it much easier to handle than my 13 gt500

p0's grip very well compared to my GT500's f1s

ive played with the power also and havent seen the TC kick on too much....the gas & brake pedal are touchy(not much effort needed to go or stop) but once your used to it its no biggie

acceleration is a bit more than i thought it would be.....seems much faster than my gt500, but in reality its not much...the A8 makes it seem like a rocket.....the A8 is better than i thought it would be....after having a 2011 A5 i was expecting the typicaly A5 slow to reach BS.....A8 is quick to react like the A5 should have been

exhaust note is much louder than i would have expected.....damn this car is loud at all times

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree on the A8. My 06 Charger had the A5, it wasn't a "bad" trans, but was slow at times, My 2010 SRT8 had a M6, meh, was fun but I am so over a manual trans. I followed the A8 development and drove them on the track before I got my Hellcat and I knew that whatever I got next would get the A8. And I am glad I did, I LOVE this trans. They did a hell of a job tuning the software to be able to go from street to track etc. And I think it will just get better as they do some real world fine tuning.

The exhaust does sound good, I hear it a lot louder outside when I pass people haha, my last car was louder but it had LTs on it, that makes a big difference. I WAS going to get the Magnaflow exhaust, but when I was under the car putting my subframes in, I noticed that the exhaust looks DAMN similar to the original Magnaflow competition series I had on my last challenger. So, instead of ordering the new exhaust and cutting the valves out etc, I just cut the resonators off. Sounds damn near identical to how my Magnaflow sounded on my last Challenger.

4. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you're prepared and ready for if the car goes sideways, then turn the traction/stability control fully off. With the A8 a lot of the torque management is removed... lighting up the tires in 2nd gear, chirps/spin during shifts, etc. THEN it can be a handful. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris Salter

Chris Salter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The first car or truck I have purchased that I fall in LOVE with every time I drive it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've just hit a month on my six-speed version. Also just crested 500 miles, and am surprised at how drivable it is, even in bumper to bumper traffic. Seems to get better traction, than I expected. I thought the tires would be constantly roasting, in full power mode, but seems to hook up surprisingly well after it's in second gear.
    Over the weekend, on the freeway, there was a bit of a gap between me & the group of cars around me, and the next grouping of cars up ahead, so I dropped it down a couple gears and punched it, and in very short order it had jumped from 65mph to 129mph before I had to brake for next chunk of traffic. I was very surprised, as I didn't think it was going that fast, --very calm and collected at speed. Overall, very happy with the Hellcat.

• Like Like x 2
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think in 15 years when joe dirt versions of this car are for sale for $10k there's going to be a lot of young people dying in these cars........glad most of us here are old men

when i was 19 i thought my 225hp 5.0 was hot sh*t and could have killed myself many times with the stupid things i did....like racing to 100mph on 25mph roads

in 2035 that same stupid 19 year old will have 707hp and be driving 150mph on that same 25 mph road

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you will become more and more impressed and the car breaks in. Very noticeable difference now at over 3000 miles than at 500.

9. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In 2015 there will be a 65 year old driving 150mph on that same 25mph road.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. c_u_in_hell

c_u_in_hell Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Was just looking at HP on some of my teenage dream cars. Haha. I remember drooling over the 96' Z28 with 320hp and thinking that was reason enough to sell a kidney. My 88' Jeep Wrangler wouldn't go 55mph downhill with a tailwind. God keeps me away from things until I gain the maturity required.

11. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just crossed over 3k miles on Sat before I parked it. 3k miles in roughly 3 weeks is pretty good I think :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great comment and analogy. Scary thing is that in 2035 self driven cars may be the only vehicles allowed on the road and anything with an accelerator and brake pedal along with a steering wheel may be unlawful to drive on a public roadway. The government is forcing everything else down our throat, watch. No cars, no guns, no fun!

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i agree on self driving cars by 2035....200mpg......15hp......kids today dont care about driving, so they will be happy to step into a goverment issued car---this will give them more time to text each other...even when the person is sitting right next to them

odds are they will still have 1 lane open on the freeway for people with antique cars

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its funny you say that. I was just talking to my 15 year old who was giving me a hard time about texting all the time and that she wished her grandparents would just text instead of calling. I said to her, just wait until you are old and texting is old technology and you want your grandkids to text you but they want to use some new technology that you don't have a clue how to use and you will see what it is like. I'm okay with those stupid Google cars as long as they stay out of my way. I think they might be worse than a Prius. That is saying a lot!!!:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not sure how you are driving this car but in sport mode I have had this car sideways through the first three gears. I have had it sideways in Eco mode. Traction control has it's hands full trying grab those rear rotors especially in the peak torque band. I almost believe there is not enough holding power even with the Brembros to keep this car straight sometimes.
    We may be driving a little differently also because I bought this car to "drive it like I stole it". I bought the unlimited life and mileage warranty and don't care if it blows up.
    I think some owners are being a little conservative thinking they bought something unique or special. As has also been mentioned, it's a dodge and ten or fifteen years down the road some kid will pick this car up from us for 10K unless we get dementia and can't part with it. .
    But then again the most powerful stock off the floor car I have ever owned is the G8 GXP and although a quick car still way short of 550 HP.
    So in my minds eye I may be comparing apples to oranges or we may have totally different driving approaches but in the end I have 80 miles on my kitty cat and already ordered 4 P-Zeros from Tire Rack. My GXP has 14K and I'm on my fourth set tires.
    So IMHO "pushing the car pretty hard" compared to beating the snot out of it are two diametrically opposed forces.
    Sorry Aaron, and your comment about biased might be true. I'm not a coup guy. I love having fast 4DSD's. I also think the Challenger you were or are driving seemed like a handful because the suspension between these two models is totally different.
    My two cents on a car I have only owned for five days and believe it is everything it was marketed to be. And please do not take this post as a personal affront. Sometimes what can be spoken with clarity is a little more difficult to put into writing and I mean no injury or insult.
    Regards

• Like Like x 1