Impressions regarding initial quality...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mystoxup, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Mystoxup

Mystoxup Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've owned a lot of cars in my life. Mostly foreign, with a couple of vipers scattered here and there. I'm curious to hear about your initial quality impressions as it relates to fit and finish, quality of build and materials etc. when you picked up your HC. I've never purchased a new car like this so I want to make sure my expectations are reasonably managed. Thx!!

2. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it is a dodge . Not a Lexus, Audi or BMW . It is nice when compared ford or Chevy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My experience only: no paint issues, smooth, no dirt or dust, good color match between metal and plastic. Interior is well put together, no rattles or sqeeks, stitching looks good, seats are comfortable. Fit and finish on the car is good not perfect. Hood height is a little off, gaps are consistent. Controls feel crisp and positive with the exception of the shifter. I may upgrade to a Barton. The electronic touch screen is ok, takes a little getting used to and it is slow to boot up in my opinion. Sound system is average but should be better as others have mentioned. I hate the navigation, I prefer the Ford system on my wife's expedition, personal preference. Finish on the wheels is thin, will likely not hold up over average miles for a car that gets driven. Overall I would rate the car as a 7.5-8 on a scale from 1-10 for overall quality. All that said, I forget all about the stuff above when I push down on the go pedal!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for that write up, saved me typing:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    similar quality to Ford/Chevy.....

dirt in paint if you really look close.....no dirt in either my Ford or (2) GMC's......so i think paint is worse

fit is fine, interior is all good....electronics glitch when i hit SRT button twice....my custom mode doesnt come up correct...i have to pick sport or track and then click back to custom to get my actual custom mode

color match on sublime is hit or miss.....mine was perfect before accident......ive seen some match much worse than my repainted front bumper.......something i have seen before (my old red toyota minivan)....

ive had coolant leak issues with 500 miles on it.....but my 13 gt500 had a rear end leak that took 3x to fix at 1,500 miles.....so quality is about what you'd expect from one of the big 3

i would not have expectations of perfection....for the $$ the car is a bargain for what it delivers.....

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wheel finish is very poor.....will not hold up well over time for sure....should have been powder coated and not spray painted in China......finish looked good for about 300-500 miles....now is showing flaws

7. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Overall I'm happy with mine. The issues for me are a few paint flaws. I have a few dust specs in the paint, and when you open the trunk there are some clumps of dirt they appear to have painted over. Sounds system is very disappointing to me. I had to adjust my hood but now its all good, otherwise all the panels are perfect.

I really like the interior, no complaints there.

I think Dodge really needs to fire whoever is doing QC for paint/body though. So many have paint flaws that have been reported on here.

8. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^^^^^
    What they said.
    No issues.
    Remarkable performance.
    8 out of 10. Uconnect and radio lose the two points.

Very (very) happy:):D:)

9. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe I'm just blind and can't hear, but I have no issues regarding paint, fit or the HK stereo:eek:. Totally happy. Dodge did a good job on mine and it was built on a Monday. As far as the HK goes..yes, the XM radio is fair at best, but I really like my iPod hooked up thru the USB cable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thing to remember about the XM, even on much better systems, XM bandwidth is narrower than what you get from commercial radio. So XM has limitations. Fortunately (or not) I'm about deaf in one ear with raging tinnitus so I don't require much quality in my sound systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hellcat15

Hellcat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tell you what, mine had a few spots that I was able to clay out, but the wife just picked up a BMW X3 that has quite a few "flaws" so that reasoning doesn't always work. Mine is much better than hers, I was able to clean some of it up but it'll have to go back to the dealer for the rest.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With all the posts I have read on here I was becoming really apprehensive about my Cat. Build quality IMO is superb. Panel gaps are spot on. No blemishes in the paint save for a couple of snots on the radiator cross bar. A little orange peel on the sides. Interior is beautifully put together. The sound system is okay. I guess it could be better but I did not buy this car for its sound system. So far 1500 miles no squeaks or rattles and no dramas with rad leaks or oil leaks. Very impressed. Still struggling to find my ideal seating position and my only gripe is that both seats should be fully electric with a memory button. Need to find the sweet spot to feel that I have absolute control over the vehicle and its not there yet and still racking my brains as to why. My sneaking suspicion is that whilst it genuinely does not feel like a 4400lb vehicle because it belies it size so well it is not ever going to feel like a 2700lb 911.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Snots on the radiator cross bar" Did the tech not have a Kleenex? :eek:;) LOL....