Information about TCM tuning

Discussion in 'OST Dyno' started by Sammy123, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sammy123

Sammy123 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hi,

Can you guys post a bit more information regarding TCM tuning? What I'm specifically looking for if it will work with a completely stock Hellcat without the need for an unlocked PCM. Primarily looking at the benefits of just raising the rev limiter on a stock A8.

2. ostmike

ostmike Rookie Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Thanks for inquiring! Information at this time is limited. The most significant improvement with the trans tuning is the ability to raise the shift points. We will be testing the improvements in ET with small incremental increases in shift RPM this weekend.
    This will definitely work on a completely stock Hellcat and certainly lower your ET's! You will NOT need to have an unlocked PCM. Although we have not attempted this yet, according to HPTuners support a PCM unlock is not required.
    Hopefully that answers your questions but if you have more please feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  3. Sammy123

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ah yes, it does answer alot. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems we cannot escape the PCM part of it. Certainly alot of options now available and to think over. Personally my goal is to get a mid 10 second run with a 133 or higher trap speed the easiest and cheapest way possible (excluding NOS).

4. Micah@OST

Micah@OST Rookie Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Please see my correction to the original response. You are NOT required to unlock a PCM to flash a TCM. This is great news. We have not tried this yet since all of the vehicles here have already had the PCM unlocked.

5. Sammy123

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the correction. This is the avenue I am most likely going to take. I look forward to your testing on Hellcats without unlocked PCM's. I will be following very closely, as I think a 3.09 gear coupled with a raised rev limit is going to make alot of Hellcat owners smile.

Thanks!

6. TMAC

TMAC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What rpm are the factory valve springs safe to?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gomangocat

gomangocat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The low rpm shift point maybe why no one is blowing them up !!!!

8. Sammy123

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Curious for any updates as well, as they said they would be testing last weekend.

9. ostmike

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    We did some testing at the track last weekend. We are taking this in "baby steps" but were were able to get our customers pulley/injector/OST tune car to cut a 1.42 60' with stock gears in near 2000' DA. I believe we can get the 60' even lower with additional changes. We will be conducting some more testing at Challengerfest 8 in Bowling Green at the end of this week. If you are planning on attending CF8 please stop by our trailer and say hello. We will be glad to share any information and testing results that we have.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DesertCat

DesertCat Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With the Demon having higher shift points will someone be able to unlock the mystery using the Demon ECM to be able to help us Hellcat owners out? Mike who is the chief engineer on the hellcat states they are working on the shift point mystery and hope to have it solved soon.

11. ostmike

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm not sure there's any mystery to the Hellcat shift points. We already have the ability to raise the shift points in the TCM as well as raise the rev limit in the PCM. So this has already been solved.

12. DesertCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Strange. All of us have been waiting for the shift points to be raised. Diablo has the ability to raise the rev limiter. But the only way to make the automatic shift higher is to put it in manual, hook up, and by default it will bump into the next gear at 6300 rpm. The TCM was the mystery. I have HP tuners also for my old G8. But I do not use it for the HC. When I go to the Dodge tuning on the HC in the HP tuners forum the tuners do not know how to do this. You are the only tuner that I know of that can raise the shift points.

13. ostmike

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I don't think I'm the only one but I did another one at the track today and it worked exactly as programmed.

14. DesertCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The other way was to manually shift it. But you have to be super quick. But just leaving it in drive I do not know any one whom has been successful. That is great news to me! There is a new update in the Diablo as of 04/18. But my car is in the shop. Maybe that update will have the shift point option. I assume you are using hp tuners. I have to get the credits and buy the training book. It is totally different from an LS3 A6 tune.

15. zhc

zhc Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can confirm, shift points in D, and D Paddle Mode, and Manual Mode are all adjustable now with HPTuners 3.5 beta. There's a bit more to it then just simply raising shift points though as other parts of the tune may need adjustments as well.