Installed Lowering Kit

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by VanishingPoint, Jun 28, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you Speedlogix and my Dodge installer. Drove a bit to get to them, but it was worth it.
    (Note: Bold represents updated info)
    The kit comes with some very vague instructions in very small font, and if you are taking it to your mech, I strongly suggest you highlight the parts in English to make it easier on him/her. There are NO installation videos, and if you call KW for better instructions, you will get none. That is just it.

To make it easier on my SRT Mech, and wanted to make sure my measurements were not changed by travel/mistake, I did the following (see below).

The kit is very high quality:

[​IMG]

After reading every lowering thread 40 times each, and torturing StellasHC & Billet Hellcat with questions (thank you both), I settled on bottoming out all four lowering adjuster collars (LAC) for a complete point of reference. The last few turns were sticky, and I hoped I was not stripping out the threads, but they still turned gently and I was fine.

Then, I turned each so both sets of numbers were lined up as a reference point. The two that required more of a turn to line up were designated for the driver side. I know from experience, that I will always be the biggest person in the car, and the ladies who ride with me check in at less than 50% of my fully loaded combat weight. :D

So, I knew I wanted wanted the driver side to be slightly higher so when I was in the car alone it was more/less level.

The hot word on the street was 3/4 to 5/8's inch on the front, and 10 turns on the rear collars. I ended up measuring the fronts with a 3/4 inch piece of tape to make sure I was in the proper zone. I made my careful adjustments, hash marked, Sharpie'd, and taped them to pin in the following manner:

Front Turns:13 (D, -1.00); 12 (P, -1.12)
    Rear Turns: 10 (D, -1.25); 9 (P-1.12)

EDIT 1. 6/29/15: Roughly 100 miles has already settled another 1/8 of an inch all around.
    EDIT 2. 7/6/15: Roughly 700 miles:

Front D: -1.12 P: -1.25
    Rear D: -1.25 P: -1.37

This represents less drop (lower numbers) on the driver side to accommodate my added weight, and while I have not measured my physical impact on the suspension, I feel that this is a good start to achieving some type of balance. Also note that each turn represents exactly .12 of an inch difference (two turns would equal 1/4 inch) at least in this zone (more turning may result in less or more variance in height-I am not sure).

Over all, ground to fender (measured from the center of wheel with a Home Depot Yardstick, guaranteed to be almost accurate :p) is:

Stock:
    Front D: 29.36 P: 29.36
    Rear D: 30 P: 29.84

Lowered:
    Front D: 28.25 P:28.12
    Rear D: 28.75 P: 28.50

Note, the driver side is .12 & .25 inch higher than the passenger.

Another interesting thing to note is the factory "rake" (.74-.48 of the car is more/less maintained-and probably about even rake with me in it; I feel this could be critical at the speeds this 'Cat can achieve and still be safe. Lowered it nearly matches (.50-.38) but not quite, since I did want to even her out a bit too.

Note that is the collar on the right is meant for the driver rear. Note difference of one full turn.

[​IMG]

Note tape and Sharpie hash mark.
    [​IMG]

The boys
    [​IMG]

Hashed spring too:
    [​IMG]

I was looking for what I hoped to be 1/4 inch of driver side height front/rear, but it looks like I *may* have only achieved 1/8 of an inch in the front as of 50 miles.-which actually might be perfect since it does not seem to settle as much as I thought with me in it. Obviously, I need to grab a friend to measure this with me in it after it fully settles, though. I also may try an experiment of adding weight to the passenger trunk so it "settles" better with weight? Who knows...

These are the before and after pics taken near a friend's house, with a full tank of gas topped off before photos.

BEFORE:

Front
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

AFTER:

Front
    [​IMG]
    Rear
    [​IMG]

The dealership said the car fell well within the factory alignment specs, and could have gone lower but it was not recommended as it *may* then fall out of spec. Now I can expect it to settle another 1/4 of an inch-but I heard it could go another 1/2 which I really DO NOT WANT. I want to keep the nose down rake for aerodynamic purposes and let the rear settle at speed from the wing.

The big question is...what is it like?

Looks:
    Not even up for debate; car looks totally DOPE now-it is so tight-every other challenger now looks like it should come with a trailer hitch and "4-low" button. Boys & girls, it should have come from the factory that way. The whole dealership including managers were gawking hard and like "That now looks perfect..." and they had two other Hellcats there (sold) to compare it with.

It is almost unbelievable the difference one inch can make...[/waitingfortheladiestostopgiggling]

Ride:
    Well, it is really good actually-I personally felt "STREET" from the factory was just a little to taught for my purposes (crap roads) but liveable. So far on STREET, it actually feels more comfortable under certain conditions (11 out of 10) and on some types of crappy/bumpy/wavy roads it feels just a little worse-though only slightly (9 out of 10). It is very subjective, and hard to measure exactly, but I think I am quite right in my seat of the pants feel. South Texas has really crappy roads, and it is not like I am regretting it for one second.

Noise:
    I definitely picked up more exhaust noise in the interior of the car, and some additional droning until you get up to highway speeds. This may sound crazy as well, but I feel like the supercharger is louder too. Must be the car's overall acoustics from being lowered and inch?

Speed bumps, driveways, and ramps:
    Yes...I never really noticed them until now-I was always cautious...now this is something you will need to consider since this car is looooong and it is possible to high center even if the chin spoiler clears the speedbump/rise in question. Just be gentle and take your time, and if the car is loaded to capacity (me plus 2-3 ladies :D ) even more so. Boy/girl/luggage will probably not be a big issue.

Handling:
    Feels good, but I have not pushed it since I want to make sure the parts are holding in place first, lol and I know it will still settle and need to be re-alligned.

What I was not happy with was the negative camber-though it is hardly extreme.
    I do not know if they can fix that on the alignment rack or if I will have to raise the rear a bit. Further I do not know if it will effect the overall aspects of the car, but I would like it back to stock front and rear.

Further, I don't see how any car lowered could go with a much bigger tire in the front-it is very close now to the interior of the fender.

[​IMG]

700 miles update:
    Yes, I have "kissed" a few things since. Nothing other than minor cosmetic stuff and bothers me not one bit. Car feels a little bit more bouncy now-but still not bad. I really think the little extra it has settled has not done the car much better.

Driving it? It feels lower to the ground, and even getting out of it-which is not a bad thing, but that more than one inch means a LOT.

If I could do it all over again? I think I would have gone 2 less turns per corner; in fact, I think I will more than likely have my mechanic go back and make those adjustments.

I think the sweet spot for this car is .9-1.0 of an inch overall when it is settled (so initial lowering will only be .75-.80 when it comes off of the rack, and settle to the .9-1.0 over time.

As always, YMMV :D

And you take your chances boys & girls!

[​IMG]

I have no regrets, that piece on the nose is disposable as far as I am concerned, but I am VERY wary about my approach and have a fear of high centering Gwendolyn, which would be very un-lady-like.

I plan on going back up another 1/4 of an inch; (minus two turns) as soon as I get a chance to make it a 1 inch lower in total, but I do like the "slammed" look, and people go nuts over this thing. This may also be necessary if I plan on running fatter tires in the rear too.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  2. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    was going to do but I think with the drag radials be tight on the outer lip

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks real nice, I will be lowering my car as well, interested in knowing how much more it settles in the next 500 miles though

4. FA5T CAT

FA5T CAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I want to lower mine... But hesitant since I frequently race on tracks. Taking sharp turns at high speeds may create an issue.

5. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I lowered my 08 Challenger with an Eibach kit (I'll have to dig out the part number) about 1.25 inches up front and 1 inch in the rear, 255/40/20 Pzeros's on 20 x 9 Cragar 622's on front and 275/40/20 Pzero's on 20 x 9 Cragar 622's on rear, no tire rub but I did notice some minor mid rub on speed bumps like VanishingPoint says, car is neutral while on the street but rear can get a little lite during hard trail braking in the corners, I started pre loading when on the track to mitigate this

6. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know how it will work on the track, but yesterday I decelerated into a big bump across the road as I slowed (compressing the nose a bit) and felt like I hit the front bump stops (street setting) but it was not them-the chin spoiler's outer bottom edge is rough to the touch. I would prefer the chin spoiler takes the hits (as far as I am concerned it is disposable, like windshields in this area). Driving this car around here already is a commitment, andi f I was afraid from minor damage, I would never drive it. And THAT is not going to happen.

I don't think 1.25 inch is "too low" for these cars, and the guys working on it say there should be no issues in the front and the rear with these tires. If it goes much lower than 1.25 all around I will bring it back up to 1.0 or .9 I think. Again, it would be great to hear what the other guys have to say here too. The whole car already appears to have settled another 1/8 of an inch since yesterday's measurements and 60 more miles of driving.

And Fast Cat-not that it is my right to tell you how to spend your $$$, but as far as the track goes, maybe lower it and find out? A lower center of gravity and better aeros can't hurt as long as the car is aligned to your specs (and factory specs may not be good for 100% track-but I am sure you and your sponsors already know this).

If it screws up the whole car's handling just replace it and sell the kit to someone here? I am just really curious, I know others here have raced their Challengers lowered and again, would love to hear from them as well.

If there is a bigger "dark side" to this, I will report back.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. FA5T CAT

FA5T CAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the thorough feedback. I'll try it on the track and see how we do. Still licking my wounds from the last track day and missed Laguna Seca becuase of them. Car is still at the shop. May as well get a lowering kit while it's grounded.

8. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right? Can't you do something similar with hydraulics so you can raise it a bit so you don't have to worry? That would look so good, but I wouldn't want to do it and not have the ability to raise it if I am on a rough road or other areas that require the HC raised up a bit.

9. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I believe there are folks here who are lowered and running wider tires. There are people who claim to run 10.5-11's on lowered cars, but I do not see how that is possible. I think one can play with the idea, but may find themselves raising the car another 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch.

I was vehement on running fatter rims & tires, and now I feel like I'd rather have the car lowered in lieu of that. It looks that damned good...

Note these are adjustable-but not from the car seat. You have to break out the wrenches-front is easier, rear requires some disasembly to adjust lower higher.

10. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm 10.50 Stock hight

• Like Like x 1
  11. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    stock what???:)

12. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You probably also altered the tire pressure which will put you in the "unlimited pro mod class".

13. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TPM light was on

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

305 Mickeys dont even come close to that lip...

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your car is nowhere close to leaving as hard as my car. Not trying to sound like a dick. Bit I'm 60 footing a 1.54

• Like Like x 1