iPod classic use in 2015's?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by BrakeFade, Jan 14, 2016.

1. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Anyone using an iPod classic via USB? Specifically, 5th generation? I'm looking to leave an ipod in my car full time and wanted to know if interfacing via USB is an issue with an older iPod. Any help is appreciated!

2. Manuele1

Manuele1 Rookie Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My iPod calssic work via USB mine is a 5th Generation and it work when you plug it to USB it takes about 45 seconds and the car radio will reconice it. Some times when you turn your car off and leave the iPod in the USB you have to unluge it and plug it againg after you start the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking for better sound quality, so I'm going with an iPod 5th gen to interface via USB with this Uconnect system.

4. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 5th and 7th generation iPods, both 160GB, and they work great over the USB connection. I use my iPods elsewhere too though, and I just bought a 256GB SD card for $75 from Amazon and loaded all my music onto it. Most of what I have is in .wav format so the files are big but there is no digital compression at all - it's the same exact file as is on the CD. At any rate it works great! When you first install it it takes a couple of minutes for the directory to load into the system. After that it loads almost immediately. I'm assuming there's an SD card slot in the console on 2015's like there is on 2016's. It's the way to go IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks for the heads up. I did some searching on the uconnect forums and found out this system is optimized for ipod use. Apparently, Uconnect will take an iOS device's decoded signal and transmit it via USB audio (apple decoded). USB Audio allows for higher bitrates. Using any other type of media, the system treats it as USB Mass storage and decodes the files in the Uconnect system with a cap on bitrate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also worth noting is while the micro SD slot is limited to a small GB size, the USB port is not. This is due to formatting types. High GB microSD cards don't like "FAT" formatting. Meanwhile a huge GB USB stick can be formated in FAT no problem. I have a 128gb USB stick working fine this way. I have not had the chance yet to try 256gb. It seems the 2015 model can read anything no matter how big if you can get it FAT formatted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. schv

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm using a 256GB SD card right now with no trouble, and I would bet you could go even bigger. The only trick is you have to format the card NTFS before you start loading files onto it.

8. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Just picked up a 5th gen ipod classic and all I can say is wow. Sound quality through the ipod using AAC files is noticeably cleaner & crisper. Bluetooth almost sounds muffled when switching between the 2 formats.
    There are some minor bugs with the 5th gen:
    • selecting all songs under an artist never seems to load songs correctly. I found a work around by selecting an album under the artist and then back to all songs. This will load an artists library.
    • As mentioned earlier in the thread, leaving the ipod plugged in after turning the car off/on might require plugging the ipod back in. My 5th Gen completely locks up when the vehicle is power cycled, requiring a reboot. I have to unplug it before getting out of the car.
    • Some songs take a lot longer to load than others.
    Nothing major, just some minor issues. If you're looking to get the best SQ out of the Uconnect system, definitely get a 5th gen iPod.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  9. schv

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know, I did a fairly extensive A/B listening test in my Challenger after reading this thread. I was comparing my 5th gen 160gB iPod Classic playing .wav files (1411kbps) with a 256gB SD NTFS formatted card also playing the very same .wav files at 1411kbps as the iPod has. They are in fact the same files as I simply copied them from iTunes in my PC to the SD card. There is no perceptible difference in sound whatsoever. I can easily hear MP3 compression, even 320kbps has muddy, ruined high frequencies to my ears. Both methods of.wav format playback tested sound identical. The interface is a little more familiar to me when using the iPod, vs a simple folder/file system on the SD card. There are no moving parts in the SD card, and it costs $75 and takes up no room at all in the console. One noticeable difference is the library loads considerably faster with the SD card, and the access time (selecting a song or album) is faster too. The Uconnect IMHO does an identical job of D/A conversion as the iPod itself does. I also did the same comparison using a USB thumb drive, and the same .wav files vs the iPod with the same result.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That's good to know. I'm going to try usb/sd myself when I get a chance. Do you think using an AAC file may make a difference since it' the default encoding apple uses? Bluetooth sounds different to me, but it could be as simple as the phone being used.

11. schv

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anything other than a .wav file is digitally compressed to make the files smaller. Some are referred to as "lossless" compression, but that is simply a bogus claim. Any digital compression compromises the sound quality, and that includes all the Apple encoding, etc.. It is possible to make compressed files sound "good enough" especially for car use or through a PA system or boom box. The higher the bit rate the less the compression so a 320kbps MP3 sounds better than a 256kbps MP3. Wav files are 1411kbps and are the exact series of bits that were originally imprinted on whatever CD they were ripped from. Thanks to technology like huge memory cards and hard drives, file size is not as much a consideration as it once was so as far as I'm concerned compression is no longer needed or desired. If I could download uncompressed .wav files from iTunes I'd be a happy camper.... Bluetooth uses its own digital compression on top of whatever file compression was used, so it will sound worse.

Also, normally the only way to get an uncompressed .wav file is to rip it from a CD. You can't take an MP3 or AAC file and just doing a "save as" to .wav format and end up with non-compressed data. Once it has been compressed it can never be precisely uncompressed because the compression process throws away data.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    ... and you call yourself a motor head! You must be very young, to still hear those frequencies in 5-digit land.

<-- spent all morning running chainsaws, all afternoon on tractors. On the plus side, I can enjoy mp3's on my iPod in blissful ignorance, without wasting all day and night moving absurdly large .wav files around.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. schv

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Years (decades) of open header drag cars, rock concerts, shooting guns, etc., mid 50's age, and yes I can still clearly hear the difference. Not sure how I'm wasting day and night moving files around, the songs play for the same amount of time as 120k MPEGs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use the Tidal app on my iPhone for my music and you can definitely hear a difference when played back via usb compared to BT.

15. Vinnerman

Vinnerman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Do you know of a fix for this, I have the exact same problem, most of the time I have to unplug and then plug it in again, sometimes it will read it ok.

• Agree Agree x 1