Is 485+hp really this slow? Ok, why not.

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by hsochs, Jun 10, 2016.

?

I bought the SRT392 over the ScatPack because

Poll closed Jul 19, 2016.
  1. Prove I can afford the more expensive car; status.

16.7%
  2. Suspension upgrades - better handling, I'm a driver.

50.0%
  3. I want the 3mode variable suspension so I can yacht it when I want, scat pack doesn't do it.

33.3%
  4. For the secret 600hp mode.

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hsochs

hsochs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What settings do I have to disable to get the ScatPack(or SRT392) to drive loose and free?

Below, I'm discussing a couple of test drives of the 392engine, albeit in ScatPack models. I know there are suspension and tire differences between this and the ScatPack, I'm hoping you will be able to solve a performance related issue. Perhaps the SRT392 is the answer but to get to that I have to give you a sense of my experience in the ScatPack, maybe you will have experience with both cars and can help me figure out if any one these Sedan platforms are for me. THANKS in advance!!

I’ve test driven the ScatPack Sedan twice and coupe once. I know that I am supposed to love this car but my test drives leave me feeling disconnected and that shouldn’t happen in a car with 485+hp and a sport mode button, lap timers in the cluster etc,etc So, I’m trying to figure out what has separated me the newb from feeling the burn and wanting to buy it.

Ok, heres the history. I drove a white ScatPack 2 months ago but had no idea about its super track pack settings. So, my test drive was rush hour slow with a brief highway blast and most likely the steering was in its firmest setting. So, the car never felt loose, it felt heavy and cumbersome and square. And the acceleration was good at best.

2nd was the Challenger, Plum Crazy, similar experience, extremely brief highway blast in a police heavy area. The acceleration was visceral and the sound matched the power. I did feel connected to the car and the steeringwas good, but all i got was an on ramp, a blast and an off ramp. So, still not a full experience but more connected than the Charger and certainly more of what I need in power than the 5.7LV8 R/T. It didn't feel fast but it definitely didn't feel slow.

3rd test drive was yesterday. An absolutely gorgeous Metallic Steel with red/cloth interior. Much the wiser after youtube watching so I found the sport button and the super track options. Toggled everything to the ‘I know how to drive a car fast without nannies’ modes and off we went. Salesman was cool, he runs a Stang at the strip, so he was alright with my need to check the power and handling. OF we go to a winding road, and [drum roll].... blah. The car hauls arse, of course,its just that I couldn’t feel it. It made big noises and the digital numbers ran high as we were doing shy of 3digits but it felt like not that. it felt like the car wanted to slow down without me applying effort to the pedal(made comfort mode would give a more relaxed throttle pedal to maintain speed. Is this engine braking in sport mode? ...engine braking was nice in the corners, it held the gears well. But in general, It almost felt like the car was sorting itself out, id toss the car so that I could cut tight to the line. It would comply and then it felt like the cabin was righting itself on top of the chassis, it almost felt like I was sitting in the perfect balance point to feel the car pitch and roll but it seemed automated,mechanical and not like a function of my inputs. So the car handled but it seemed heavy and tight as opposed to somewhat open and crashable. Like a kids amusement park ride that has a steering wheel, is on rail, goes fast but rotates of its own accord, speeds up and slows down of its own accord. OK, I felt disconnected. And that made the sound feel disconnected from my control of the car. What the heck? I turned it all off right? The gauge light showed traction off, little green checkered flag was green. This is supposed to be drive well or crash mode right? The car seemed sluggish (disclaimer: I ride a 1300cc touring motorcycle 165hp and 700lbs wet with me on it) is something holding the car back? DO I really need 707 overkill hp in order to feel like the sound, feel and power are strong. This new car had around 650miles on it already.

I get back to the dealership and THEN, the GM discusses the features,hoping to impress me and convince me (like a good salesman), that this was the car for me…auto lane assist was on. DAMMITTT! What does a man have to do to experience the genius of the platform before purchasing. What do I have to do to experience the car? Its a sedan, its a super sedan, it can be a highway yacht, it can also run a road course faster than some race cars of a couple decades ago but everything I’ve done so far feels artificial, hyped sound and hyped power on top of what is arguably a very well designed base automobile. No argument that the base is awesome. I couldn’t even break the wheels loose. So, did traction control actually turn off. Is there a secret dealer mode, limiting power to prevent hoonage? Or is the sedan as much a pig(for driving harder than family mode) as I’ve already felt and it gets no better? Would I do better with the coupe? Is the $10k more for the SRT392 where the magic resides for a road course minded sedan guy or will I have to get 707hp which is too much for the chassis, in order to experience the sweet zone of the chassis and proper suspension?

Sorry for the long post but I’m working hard to get to the magic of the ScatPack and it hasn’t happened so far. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to feel great when driving this car. I’m not ever going to the strip. I am going to a road course. Thanks.

2. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    • Funny Funny x 4
  3. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ohhhhhhhhh caught.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hahahahahahahahaha

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 1SickVeilsideZ

1SickVeilsideZ Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man up and buy a Hellcat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Maybe he wants multiple answers from different sources? If you don't feel it, don't buy it. Pretty simple. Buy something smaller and more compact that will give you both power and agility. I love my 392. I'd love a Hellcat but I'm invested and I do not want to throw money away by trading up...right now. Some day I will, but I'm having fun with what I have. I don't need a tiny track car. I wanted a beastly muscle car that was huge and intimidating. I'm a big guy and I want a big hulking car. I found it. Wtf.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you truly want to feel alive buy the Hellcat. The chassis is more than capable but it is no Lotus Elise

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Btw 485 is still probably faster than 80% of the vehicles on the road today. If not more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Make it faster then...recent email from ProCharger.

Thank you for your interest in a ProCharger Supercharger for your 2016 Charger 392. Our Intercooled Tuner Kit (no fuel system upgrades or ECU tuning included) is now available to order through authorized ProCharger dealers. You will need to have your ECU unlocked by DiabloSport or HP Tuners and also source larger fuel injectors. The car will then need to be custom tuned on a dyno. We recommend running 7 psi of boost on a stock engine, which typically adds 200 HP to the vehicle. We will be offering a complete supercharger system for the 2016 HEMI’s that include ECU tuning and fuel system upgrades in however. Currently, we have only confirmed tuning for the 2015 models. Click the link below to find a dealer or distributor in your area. The MSRP for the 6.4L tuner kit starts at $5748. When ready, our complete system will sell for $6850. Feel free to contact our sales team with any questions at 913-338-2886 (M-F 8:30am-5:30pm CST).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe OP should get a bike and pedal it wide open into a ditch...feel the road, feel the burn...excite all the senses

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. SRT MANG

SRT MANG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I priced out the ProCharger option...it was roughly $9,000 installed and that's if you already have a handheld.

IMO, not a bad way to spend 9 grand though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Have to say your post is confusing.....if you want a track car for auto x I think any of Dodge offerings are probably going to leave you wanting. I've never driven a scat pack so I can't comment on that, but it should feel identical to the 392 as far as acceleration I would think. If that feels "slow" then maybe 485hp in a heavy car isn't what you want. It's quick but there are plenty of cars faster than a 392 charger or challenger around. It's a capable car but it's no drag racing king. Sounds like you want a hellcat or another type of car....I can say I wouldn't touch an aftermarket supercharger on a car under warranty with a 10 foot pole, unless of course if being denied warranty work isn't a concern and you have deep pockets, and if that's the case you would have bought a hellcat in the first place. Just my $.02. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Waste of a good warranty.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BUTT dyno's are NEVER accurate!! :eek::p:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. hsochs

hsochs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

It's not a rant. Go read the other forum now. Just trying to learn everything from guys who own different models.