is it hard to remove the stripes?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by shawnn, Jan 4, 2017.

1. shawnn

shawnn Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    is it a tough job to take the stripes off

2. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would have a professional service do it. Decal Or signage company

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wraith

Wraith SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After I had my charger for a few years I decided to remove the pinstriping on the side cause it wasnt matching the theme I was going for.. it was an absolute pain in the butt, even using the ole tried and true method of WD-40.

I couldnt imagine how much of a pain it would be for the racing stripes to get removed (which I assume is what you're asking about). Like Mabbryfl30 said, I would go with a professional service.

4. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I removed the factory racing stripes from my 2012 GT500 and it was reasonably easy.

I picked a warm sunny day (mid 80s) and parked the car in direct sun light.

After an hour or so I started peeling the factory stripes off and they came right off with ease.

There were only a couple spots where the vinyl broke and I had to slowly work the little pieces off, but other than that, 98% of it came up in one piece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. moparjim

moparjim SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you finally find a car?

I noticed this morning there is a dealer with a new 2016 challenger hc . Billet silver w stripes they added that they will remove if wanted. A8,sunroof,bm wheels. Listed at just under 70k. They also have a jazz blue Charger hc they listed for just under 69k. Msrp on either one is more than 82k.

Not sure how to get around paying tax in Quebec seeing as your from Ontario. But there is a way.

They are on autotrader. Located in Laval,Quebec. At Landry automobiles.

Hope this info helps you or someone else.

6. jnyboy

jnyboy Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ....Not hard, but it takes time, with a good dose of patience (swearing is allowed) !.....Booky's advice is solid, unless no sun & cool...I removed mine from a 14' R/T, using the old hairdryer trick...NO HEATGUN !!....Heat a bit,.. pull a bit !! ..Tape residue, around the sides, comes off easily with Googone !! I removed my stripes off of the roof, and the front & rear bumpers, taking about an hour !

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Good call to mention NO HEATGUN. Can be hard on fingers,paint and worst of all the chance to warp a nice big panel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jmoose1

jmoose1 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've pulled stripes and badges off many cars. Heat gun is fine. What's the difference between a hair dryer and a heat gun? Aren't they both heat guns, ones just more powerful than the other? Just like your head, if you hold it to close or too long you will burn!....lol.
    Whatever you use WARM evenly and pick a corner to start. Pull evenly and flatly, don't pull 90 degrees or straight up off the body or most likely will start to tear in chunks. Slowly and flatly reheating the leading edge as you go and you'll have no problem.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with jmoose....no problem using a heat gun, but I think as others have said if you aren't comfortable doing it leave it to a pro to be on the safe side. It's just like peeling a sticker off.....biggest concern is not scratching the paint. Take your time and work it slow and be careful what you use to remove the remaining residue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jnyboy

jnyboy Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ..Well, with all due respect,.thanks for explaining the difference between the two... However, some of the less experienced in removing this type of vinyl striping, might not understand that too much heat on the vinyl (which is immensely more possible with a Heat Gun) may irreparably damage that "Beautiful Paint Job" that is attached to your expensive investment (your Kitty)...So IMO, if you don't know and understand the difference, go with the Hairdryer as the Heat Gun = Hairdryer on Steroids !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. moparjim

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have also used a heat gun to remove decals and stripes an moldings.

But if you are asking how hard is it to remove the stripes. You should probably leave the heat gun alone. That's why I posted what I did.
    If someone has limited skills they should get it done. If they want to get hands on then they should leave it in the sun or use a hair dryer. That way they can't hurt it from the heat.
    We are talking about a 90k give or take car after taxes here. That tends to make some people a bit nervous

My .02

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. MXS67454

MXS67454 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    3M makes an eraser for that goes on an electric drill that will not harm your the paint . I have used them for many years to remove vinyl lettering from my semi trucks . leaves a little adhesive residue that I remove with charcoal lighter fluid and a rag.
    can be purschased at body shop supply house . it can get a little messy with bits of vinyl all over .