Is it really a Hellcat???

Discussion in '2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk' started by hemi4cs, Oct 27, 2015.

1. hemi4cs

hemi4cs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So after waiting almost a year, our 15 Chally Hellcat came in. After driving it I have decided that yes I do need 707hp in my DD. My dealer sent me the latest link about the TrackHawk and is see no Hellcat badging. So is it a hellcat or not? Is it just getting the powerplant? I am a little perplexed and I know all this is too early to tell anyway but I am curious as to everyones opinion. I gave up my '10 SRT8 Grand for his Hellcat and I feel like I deserve my own... After the Hell Dodge put us through they should totally listen to me right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat isn't the name of the vehicle, it's the name of the motor.

The Trackhawk will get a Hellcat motor, so technically, it is a Hellcat no matter what name they choose to put on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Plum 16

Plum 16 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Problem with Trackhawk is that it may not be able to pull the same HP as on the LX-based cars. I have heard in the mid-600's, not the 707 we are familiar with.

The main problem is that if you think we've got problems with pretzeling drive shafts, imagine what happens with the confusion of a tranfer case, another drive shaft diff, and a couple more half shafts. They are trying to see if they can come up with something that won't break.

Even in the 600's, if it stays AWD, it's gonna hook up really nice and be a blast in the 1/4

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. hemi4cs

hemi4cs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am just wondering if it will have the badging though? The three keys? The electronic controls we have come to associate with the "badged" Hellcats?

I am absolutely OK with lower HP. I loved my Grand and given the AWD it felt pretty awesome since it was so square and stable. I do agree on the drive shaft issue but hopefully that is sorted out by then. On the flip side- I would much rather pretzel a DS than toast an axle or trans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

No idea on the badging, I would assume (only an assumption) that they would have an equally aggressive new logo for the new name "Trackhawk" though.

Since the Hellcats all get the same key setup and electronic control package, expect the same from Jeep. No need to change anything, and they certainly wouldn't give them less since the Jeeps are more expensive than LX/LC cars.

There won't be a reduction in HP/tq. That's why this is a 2017 model, not a '15 or '16... they need the extra time to design fortifications so that the Jeep can handle that much power. If anything, they might increase the output so they can really stick it to Ford and Chevy.

If history is repeated, the Jeep will be geared in such a manner that the AWD launch will allow them to easily walk our beloved Hellcats from 0-100, but after 100 our gearing and slightly lighter weight will allow us to breeze past them. Our top speed will still be much higher as well. But light-to-light streetfights and 1/4 races... the Jeep will hand us our asses, especially if we don't get better tire options by then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gixer Jay

Gixer Jay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its not looking like 707HP but more like 600HP

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Hellcat: Still On Top At Its Weakest

Hellcat Jeep Could Pack Less Power, Will Still Dominate SUVs - Torque News

7. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Badges!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. hemi4cs

hemi4cs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    COME ON!!! I'm a girl, I need the badges!!! Ill just be a little bit more patient and see where it goes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. HOONAGN

HOONAGN FLOOR IT!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure if I'll be willing to pay 82k+ for it - not counting the dealer ADM rape jobs that will be going on. The fit and finish on the inside better blow away suv's that are in that price range.

That's just me though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    $82k? An SRT Grand Cherokee is in the $80's. Trackhawk will be $90's

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guarantee it will not have 707/650. GUARANTEE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

We'll see in 2 years. But I don't see any reason, with the time they're taking to make this, why it would have any less power. It almost wouldn't be worth producing honestly.

13. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    None of the Jeep SRT's have had the same power ratings as the cars, ever. Won't happen here either.

I don't see why either. There are supercharged Jeeps rolling around making more than 707hp and it appears the 8 speed/t-case/axles are handling it just fine. And aftermarket doesn't have the ability to tune the 8 speed like Chrysler does.

But then again, an aftermarket company isn't about to pay for your trans or axle if you break....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call me crazy, but they can't really call it a Hellcat if it has 12-15% less horsepower and torque than the Hellcat motor.

Do you think BMW would call their X5 an "M" if they took the engine from the M5 put it in the X5 but gave it 470 hp instead of 550 hp? No way. The engine from the M5 goes into the X5M unaltered, so it's a true M throughout.

The Hellcat engine is 707 hp.
    If it's a highly detuned version, it should not be called the Hellcat, maybe Hellkitty or PurgatoryCat, or Hellcat Light. LOL
    Neither one of course sound as cool so marketing wise that would never happen. But still the Hellcat name IS the engine, detune it and it's no longer a Hellcat in my opinion.
    Maybe that why they aren't using the Hellcat logo on the Jeep. Maybe that's why it's call the Trackhawk instead. The detuned version of the engine will be called the Trackhawk.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  15. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

That makes absolutely no sense, so I'll assume you're just making a long-winded joke.

An "M" is an "M" because the standard BMW is worked over by the "M" division. It doesn't matter what the HP rating is, it's still an "M".

The SRT Jeep is a standard Jeep worked over by SRT Enginerring, so even though they have 10hp less than the LX/LC cars, they are still an SRT because of that.

A Hellcat is called a Hellcat because of the new motor. Not for any other reason whatsoever... the engine is code-named Hellcat. So if that engine, regardless of tuning, is put in a Jeep SRT, then it is in fact an SRT Jeep Hellcat. Jeep themselves just chooses to use the new Trackhawk name.

So it is still technically a Hellcat.