Is the Hellcat a future COLLECTORS CAR?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by ChargerChallenger, Dec 27, 2015.

1. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I posted a thread a few days ago:
    Who plans on driving their Hellcat Rain, Snow....etc to her utmost mile?
    The thread received a fair amount of responses. Some truly want to keep their Hellcat as clean and original as can be. And no criticism to those who do. But just curious what the overall forum truly believes the future value to the Hellcat.
    And I was an oil salesman in the 80s and early 90s and continue to work in the gas station oil industry. And have all of my life. And for those who do not know the major oil companies no longer own the big brand companies i.e. Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil.....etc they have all sold out their distribution to independent jobers through out the country. And they no longer own the properties to all service stations. They were sold to investors....etc. so u have to wonder why has the major oil companies over the past 5-8 years sold out and gotten out of the gas station business. I know and understand why but way to much discussion in the forum so will stop at this and please read my posting in the " who plans on driving their hellcat rain, snow...etc to her utmost mole" and chime in your thoughts.
    This what I posted:

But something for all of us MOTORHEADS to think about. If the GREEN AGENDA keeps advancing as it is and the WORLD GOVERNMENTS stick together on the get rid of fossil fuels.....etc
    If our thoughts are we have collector cars (and not saying we don't) which will take time to become one. And if history serves the most recent collector cars era we are 30-40 years on our current generation. Where r the gas stations 40-50 years from now. And most of us will probably be to old to drive or gone. And I am not the world visionary to predict how it all plays out. But you have to wonder what the gas station market will be. And does a person buying a muscle car have a challenge of getting fuel? And I know at this time this seems far fetched but the Electric car market is here and is not going to stop progressing
    So with that said I think all of us should enjoy our MOPARS more than less and possibly a person 50 years from now will look at a HELLCAT and wonder why it only has 2 thousand miles on it. And think HELL they just didn't know the future and the big thing will be replacing the HELLCAT GAS MOTOR TO A ELECTRIC MOTOR......YIKES YIKES YIKES:(
    My first MOPAR a 1972 Cuda 340 pistol grip 4 speed in 1983 when I was 20 years old.
    image.jpeg

2. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well that is an interesting question or should I say questions! My read on the whole thing is the world will continue to move toward greener technologies... they have too, as gas and oil will not last forever. As these technologies advance it will progressively lessen the dependency on fossil fuels however energy demand will still be going up as the worlds population keeps expanding. I see wind, solar, hydro and new technologies that take advantage of tidal currents & ocean currents to produce electricity. So yes that means a greater dependency on electrical power. So that means for vehicles to take advantage of this battery technology will be pushed and promoted.

Hellcats, GT 500's, Vetts & Vipers and vehicles like them will be the things of legend and lore. Now I suspect they're still be gasoline around but there may not be a gas station on every corner. Probably replaced with charging stations and other technologies. Between now and then... 707 HP monsters will no longer be produced but they will be around like the classic muscle cars are today from the 60's & 70's. We will pull these out on the weekend and take them to car shows like we do now. My only worry is the technology in these cars... all computerized... will it be supported in the future both from a technical side as well as a replacement parts supply. Many of us that have Hellcats won't be around in 30 years or so. It will be a car left to our sons and daughters. I think it will be somewhat of a collector car especially if this ends up being the pinnacle of factory performance... but not to the same extent the 60's & 70's cars were just because of the numbers produced. ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Halfshaft

Halfshaft Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As long as there is a combustible engine there will always be gasoline, won't worry till military goes fully electric, Yes I believe the Hellcat will be collectable. Its future value will be determined on cars condition, why I am only driving her on fair weather days. Why take off to town when raining when I have two other vehicles, taking trips to Ohio and Wisconsin in the Cat of coarse weather happens. I just keep it clean as possable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My personal opinion is no it won't be a future collectible. But whether it will be or not, I am not putting it on blocks and waiting for the future. I'm driving the crap out of it now in the present and enjoying every mile!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WOW O Wow,let mt just say in words of halfshaft-I'LL JUST KEEP IT CLEAN AS POSSIBLE-peace:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not putting mine on blocks either and I didn't buy it as an investment... I will drive it and enjoy it. Mine is just not going to be a daily driver with a 100K on it in 5 years. I'll pull it out on the nice days... that way every time I hop in it... its like a new car! ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At the risk of getting slammed... (and I did also mention this in another thread as well)

I would say that we potentially have a collectors car WITH the following caveat...

If you take as one example (and not the only one...): Richard Petty and his connection with the Plymouth Superbird; we're never going to have that allure in the future. The Golden days of racing and factory cars are gone and have been for a really long time.

If we did we would all be rich in 40 years given the fact that collector quality Superbirds/Daytona's are going for $100/200K on the LOW end and as much as $900K on the high end (earlier this year at Mecum). Keep in mind that in 1970 these cars sold for ~$4000.00. I'll let you do the math there...

I'm not investing in my future financial position, just my future self and wanting to drive THIS car, like it is TODAY.

Like I said elsewhere, I drove the shyt out of my first real car and it was completely done when I sold it, I don't want that for this one, I want it to be rattle, rust, dent, puke, fabric-ripped free LONG into the future.

I don't have money to do this everyday, I don't have money to do it with another car or cars. I don't have a 10-car garage full of cars that I get to pick from. THIS car is IT, if I burn it up, I'll have squandered my position...

AND if that's not enough, then it still comes down to for each his own... I'm going to drive it, and on rare occasion like the Denver Mile, I'll even drive it HARD, just not every day, not even every other day...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would like to see more people buy NON- ethanol too show the politician and government their is a demand for clean GAS!!:p:p:p:p:mad::mad::mad::mad:;)

9. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's rarely a good idea to buy a new car to make money. The best you can hope for is breaking even with all the expenses. Muscle Cars were taken for granted in their day so that is something that almost every "Detroit type" car goes through. (yes I know HCs are not built there). Now as to numbers built, the Hellcat is not Hemi Cuda Convertible rare but it is rarer than say most 1960s Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, GTOs, etc where MILLIONS were built during the that 10 year span. Sure not all are performance models but those cars are easy to swap a motor and be done. More were saved percentage-wise than people realize (20%). Last I heard people worship therm, despite their numbers. LOL ... Ironically Hellcats are getting more 'notice' new than an original muscle car did back in its day. That tells me long term they will do fine. What makes a car seem rarer than it is, occurs when it goes out of production and people hold onto to them. That happened with the muscle cars until their owners got older and prices skyrocketed so the good hidden away ones began to change hands. Hellcats will follow a similar cycle over the next 50 years. Thats a long time for us first gen owners, so don't hold you breath as you will be too old to reap any benefit. Nonetheless it won't stop me from keeping my Hellcat really nice for 'my own reasons' of enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let me tell you something i'm in early retirement but i'm lifelong mopar guy and owning a hellcat HEMI for one year is better than 10 years in another:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not going to give you a tiff over that,very true:D

12. begone

begone Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I compare this car to how I saw and experienced the Toyota Supra car market - and how it still is today. They are still fetching a good amount for a mid mileage, clean example (which are very rare to find). But even then total US production numbers are said to be ~12,000 for all years produced - so low production numbers. However, production numbers won't be what gives this car it's value, it'll be the 6.2L 707 hp factory V8 Engine which everyone believes will go away in the future - everything of course will be smaller displacement with Turbos or Hybrids - so this big V8 will be a rare engine. Which is also why I believe the Ford Raptor is holding it's value so much and still selling for at or over MSRP even for 30k mile examples - it's crazy. Also, one thing that Supras are known for is their BIG BIG HP Potential and indestructible bottom end of an engine - it's incredible the HP numbers that can safely be had with that 3.0L straight 6. That's where the Hellcat will earn its keep in the future. Cause other than that - it's all the Challenger/Charger has going for it cause both these cars are really a dime a dozen in their base trims and up.

I for one don't think fossil fuels will ever go away, that would mean no more Fuel, Gas, Petroleum Products, etc...not gonna go away. But it may go away and severely diminish from all forms of transportation. I could see owning and fueling a gasoline/diesel engine as a novelty and rare thing to see in the mainstream public....but that could be 50-60 years from now.

13. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    * Collectors car? Who, other than the 'collector' cares? This forum seems not the place to find them elusive critters, so the question is kinda out of place, like asking vegans which animal based bacon burgers taste best.
    :rolleyes:

14. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just convert the car over to hydrogen or CNG and keep on going :)

15. JT's shaker

JT's shaker Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Time will be the judge if they are collectors cars or not. We still have a long way to go before gasoline will be eliminated. Just remember that the big engined muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's got 8 to 12 miles per gallon, had less horsepower, handled poorly, and our Cats can get over 20 MPG, have over 700 HP and are a joy to drive. I look forward to driving my Hellcat until we can't get gasoline anymore, whether it is a collector car or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1