Is the Hellcat a Supercar or not?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by The Max, Jan 24, 2015.

1. The Max

The Max Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I guess it depends on how we define Supercar.

Top speed- Higher the better= Fast

!/4 mile - Lower the better - Quick = Acceleration

Lateral acceleration = g force- Higher is better

Challenger Hellcat-199mph and Charger Hellcat-204mph and for arguments sake let's say 200mph

1/4 mile 11-11.2 let's average to 11.1sec.avg- mph-126

Lateral G's - .95g

When I was a kid , last century, in the 1960's there was a car called a Ford Shelby Cobra 427cu that did the 1/4 mi in 12.2@118 and if i remember about 165mph top end. Those numbers stood for decades as the numbers to beat That was a Supercar.at the time. Nothing was Faster or Quicker

Of course we come to this wonderful technology of today . Name me the car that can combine or exceed all of these elements 200mph 11.1 sec@126 and .95g?

How many cars out there can really compare with these Hellcats? Oh, forgot to mention if we add price and can accomodate 4 or more people.

I declare these Hellcats as SUPERCARS in every respect and can't wait to get mine and have some FUN

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not even in a dream, well I guess you could dream about a super car, first obstacle is usually the price tag,LOL Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren, Bentley, pretty long list that need deep pockets..

The cat is a modern day muscle car setting bar for others to catch up......

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it's a super car but not a "SUPERCAR". In my mind that's a Porsche 918, Ferrari LaFerrai, McClaren P1, Lamborghini Aventador. I think a SUPERCAR has to have the performance but also the unobtainium factor as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, its not a supercar because of its weight, and that it doesn't do well in the corners, That's what supercars are about.. Our hellcats are Raw American Muscle,, Plain and simple.. There is nothing that is coming out of the factory that can compare to our cars for the price, and sounds as nice in stock form...No replacement for displacement... Gotta love the sound of a big V-8

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The Max

The Max Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What you describe there are 1 million plus dollar cars, very limited production and I would call them Exotic cars. Have you ever tried to fit in those cockpits?

Still no car, let's say production of over 2k, under $250k that accomodates 4 or more passengers can touch this Beast they call the Hellcat.

The acceleration some testers and magazines are showing are just unbelievable. 0-150 from 15-17 seconds.

I could change probably 99% of all people who live in 15 sec with a quick ride. Most people have not been over 100mph in a car

BTW i still dont have my car to prove any of this and just internet racing with snow outside!

These are wonderful times to be alive.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This car does make you question old standards because it's head and shoulders beyond what we've come to expect out of a factory muscle car. A super car, no - the pinnacle of modern muscle cars, yes!

• Like Like x 2
  7. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

8. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Viper and vettes would be the lower end of the supercar lineup, with the usual European models being top dogs.
    The HC is in no way, is in that category

• Like Like x 1
  9. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I for one consider the Hellcat to be a supercar. The quarter-mile times & trap speeds, and top speed are the top determinants, and confirm my belief. Scarcity is not a factor in supercar status, just performance, I think some folks confuse exclusivity with supercar criteria, but it's just about performance, not uniqueness nor price, those are more reasonably associated with exotic cars. The hellcat is perhaps the only supercar to seat five passengers, and perhaps the only one with 18 airbags and 18 speakers and extensive adjustability modes which just adds to the allure, along with the much-lower price tag compared to it's 'competitors'. I don't consider it to be an exotic, such as the six-figure-to-multi-million-dollar supercars from Lambo, Panoz, Ferrari, Porsche 918, nor a hypercar such as Koenigsegg and Pagani and Veyron.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HC is not a supercar, the same way the Viper is not an exotic IMHO.

It does however, set a new standard that all other muscle cars and sportscars will have to be compared against. It's a great time to be an enthusiast...especially if you favor the Mopar family.

• Like Like x 1
  11. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Many, if not most, of the supercars from just a handful of years ago cannot even match the ET/speed of the stock Hellcat, nor the top speed. Supercar status is based on those factors, not rarity or having to be extremely expensive. So, until somebody explains WHY the Hellcat isn't a supercar, I will continue to assert that it IS. But, it's not an exotic, nor a hypercar, --nor does it cost a million bucks (like many of the more auspicious and rare exotics.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would say because it isn't impressive on a roadcourse. Stock Subaru's are quicker on some tracks...

Look at the Grand National and GMC Syclone... Those were some of the fastest and quickest vehicles back in the late 80s and early 90s.... Beating exotics in acceleration. Those weren't considered supercars.

Just my 2 cents...

13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

It's a Pony car! " Pony cars are cruisin down Woodward Avenue go and try to pass 'em and they'll smoke you if you do" @ 2:00 from Ann Arbor's own Bob Seger! Sorry about the quality but studio versions are blocked:(

• Like Like x 1
  14. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's your opinion mine is different. Many cars today would wax a Lamborghini Countach but that to me is still a Supercar. It is about rarity, exclusivity, price, aura, etc...

15. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree about the countach. But it still seems folks are confusing exotic with supercar. An exotic is supposed to have that exclusivity, aura, etc. Most supercars are exotics, but being an exotic isn't a prerequisite for supercar status. Just my opinion, --I know everybody doesn't share my belief!

• Agree Agree x 1