Is the Hellcat worth it a thread for those on the fence

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by MoparSpitz, Jun 12, 2016.

1. MoparSpitz

MoparSpitz Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok guys and gals first I just want to say sorry if this thread already exist. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I wanted to put together a thread of owners stories to maybe help those that are on the fence. Just be honest about you experience and your car. I know I looked for something like this when I bought mine so figured I would start one myself.

My story, I was on the fence for sometime and knew I would have to make a decision quick as Plum Crazy Cats where disappearing quick and that was the color I had to have. My dilemma was I had a 2010 R/T that I bought new and loved I had put a ton of time and money into including installing an 8# supercharger on it along with several other go fast parts and dress up parts. I loved that car and it ran like a champ (12.8 @ 110 in the 1/4 on street tires oh and it was a 6 speed with a soft tune), and it showed great! I have several trophies and awards from different shows including just MOPAR shows. Oh and it was paid off! So as you can tell I loved that car and I was really happy with it but like all car guys I wanted more... So I asked several local Hellcat owners to see what the thought of their cars and if they thought it was worth. Everyone of them said yes so the search was on. It didn't take long and I found the car I wanted I set up an appointment to look at the car on the weekend. Unfortunately as I was walking out the door the dealer called me and said that someone had just walked in a paid cash for it. Dang the search was back on. In two day I found another one but it was in MN (I live in southern Ohio). I talked to the dealer and started working on a deal I actually bought my 2010 from a different dealership in MN so I was willing to make trip if we could work out a deal. I thought we were close maybe 35/month off from where I wanted to be they were going to call me back in the morning and give me the final number the call came in and.... Second verse same as the first "guy just walked in an bought it" D@#N! I was starting to think something was trying to tell me not to buy one. So to the internet I went searched "is a hellcat worth it" I said if I could find a thread or article to convince me they were worth the monthly payment and the insurance bump. I found a few articles but nothing definitive so back to local owners I went. One guy in particular was very helpful as he had built up a pretty nice 2011 SRT 8 and traded it in on a red Hellcat. He told me he missed the old car but was over the top happy with the new one. So once again the search was one. At last I found another one and it was just over in IN and was listed at $1500 below MSRP. We worked out a deal over text messages and the car was mine all if had to do was come pick it up. It was just under a 4 hour drive a nice last ride in the old car and one last time to check out its performance, you know to do a fair side by side comparison. The dealership had the car and paper work ready when I got there and I was back on the road in around an hour. As I pulled away I took one last look at the 2010 knowing I would probably never see it again a bit of sadness came over me but once it was out of sight and I started checking out the Hellcat I realized that I bought something that was beyond compare! The display and driver input alone makes this thing amazing then you give it throttle and you realize that the sticker price is totally worth it! I still think about and miss the old car but every time I walk out into the garage and see my Hellcat it makes me smile! So to make a very long story short for me YES it's worth it! The Hellcat is truly an amazing car and worth every penny! The only down side was having to wait until I had 500 miles on the ODO before I could really turn the Cat loose.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    YES!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All kidding aside, these are great cars. Some people will love it but I have a hard time imagining anyone not, at a minimum. very much liking the car. Some people like blue cars, some hate them, some like red cars some hate them. BUT, can anyone really be unhappy with a Hellcat.....YES, yes they can, if they don't own one
    they can really figure out how to hate one!;) Especially if they line up against one and bet SMOKED!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why of course do you really have to ask, I mean really these are Great times we are living in.Boys and Girls it won't last for ever come on in the water is fine.
    Bam Bam:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Absolutely. Rock star status. Best modern retro redesign. Bad Ass!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OMG are you kidding me this car is the best comfortable interior (you are not squished in like a sardine in a can), sleek styling, and the speed of the stock Hellcat is awesome. All put together in an affordable package. Love our Challenger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its a bad S.O.B. period.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All you have to do is drive it and your hooked

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The best way to describe driving a Hellcat is like that movie when you were little about the boy who would ride the half dog half flying dragon. You might have to be in your 30s or 40s to understand what I am saying.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Even though I bought a 2016, I really think $70k for these cars is too much. The 2015 prices were really where these should've stayed. Consumers overall seem to have accepted higher vehicles prices though, so now you gotta pay to play.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got a great deal on my HC, but still paid close to 65k. It's an awesome car and I'm glad to own it. I would have been just as happy though with fewer options and a price under 60k. I originally chose a Scat Pack over an SRT when Hellcat prices were crazy because I didn't care about all the extra stuff. I feel the same way about the Hellcat. You need the better suspension and brakes, but things like Nav, leather, upgraded stereo and tech package are all fluff I could do without. At the end of the day it's definitely worth it to me.

12. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you are considering one and can afford the jump to the Hellcat. Then by all means do it.
    If you do you will not look back. It is joy all the time when you get in it. You find reasons to take it out
    to "air it out". (safely that is)
    Insurance is not out of reach, in my case my agent told me it is not a foreign supercar with sky high premiums.
    Once you drive it and hear the exhaust and the startup of the Supercharger, you will be hooked.
    As they say. "Smiles by the miles" no one exits without one.

Matt

13. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First off the Hellcat is a ton of car for the money. To get more horsepower than this from the factory you have to buy a Ferrari F12 for $325,000.

I came from a heavily modified CTS-V sedan. It ran 10.77 on drag radials, so I was looking for something with similar performance but with a warranty. Pretty much the Hellcat was the only choice. I could have gotten similar times from a new Porsche 911 turbo for at least twice the price, no thanks.

The Hellcat is a very comfortable daily driver, but can kick A** when needed. Love this car!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

You're making a mistake people commonly make when talking about these cars. Yes it has over 700hp. That's cool to speak of at car meets. But it weighs 4450 lbs. Look at power to weight ratio and you'll see that this car is worse off than a C6 Z06 with 505 hp. A Ferrari F12 has much more to its price than just the hp number. I love my Hellcat, just as many owners do, but I think some folks give the car a little too much credit. It's great for what it is, but it was greater at the $59k introduction price is all I'm saying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat never pretends to be anything but a modern muscle car. Would it be nice if it weighed less absolutely but it will still wax a C6 Z06 and has beaten the new Z06 that has 650 hp and weighs 1000 lbs less.

And yes if I could afford the Ferrari I would certainly buy it!

• Useful Useful x 1