Is the manual 6 fun?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Kaneda, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys...I'm not here to start ANOTHER transmission thread. Just curious to those who have driven the M6/A8. How much FUN is the M6? I keep hearing so many mixed messages about the M6. Lots of media who have driven the M6 loved it. Yet on the forums, I barely hear anyone raving about taking the hellcat through the gears. Just saw a thread where M6 owners where upset there wasn't more explosive tire melting action when they floor it. Sure it's got tall gears, but 707bhp must throw you back in the seat, no?

I took an M6 allocation and in my 20 years of owning cars, I don't think I've even been so nervous about getting the manual. Thoughts? Reactions? Be honest. Thanks guys.

2. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 6spd is a BLAST!! I LOVE IT!!
    The glorious sounds the cars makes when rev matching and downshifting is addicting....
    Pops and burbles maybe even the occasional flame from the exhaust tips....
    It's hard to row the gears on the street as each gear has sooooo much power and pull if you took each one to redline and ran thru them all you would be in a LOT OF TROUBLE ON THE STREET!!!
    Had mine to an airstrip an managed to get to 212kmh from an IDLE rowing thru the first four gears.... Didn't hit redline in fourth and ran out of runway LOL
    That was without a hard launch, just leaving at idle!!!
    You can downshift from 6 to 3rd at hwy speeds and lay rubber....

You will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!

6spd is a BLAST , was my first choice when I ordered. 4000kms later I couldn't be happier with my decision. Friends have auto hellcats and I'd take mine over theirs every time. Might be a few tenths slower , but the autos can't touch the fun factor of the sticks...

Both transmissions have their strong points but for me it wasn't even a question.....

Just my 2 cents.....

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks man...great assessment. Any others?

4. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My M6 kicks a$$! I love it and have a blast everyday. It's my daily driver and it has explosive power. All up to you have fast you burn through 4 gears before you are past 100. LOL

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love the M6 in this beast. Much improved modified Viper tranny than what I had in my '14 392. Easy in and out of gears, smooth shifting. Lots of fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. dHL0L

dHL0L Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Trick question, right?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is on order an I too had some questions especially with the pedal set up. I have small feet (no jokes please) and the '09's brake to pedal set up made it very difficult for heel toe downshifts.
    I had the opportunity to drive a M6 cat a couple of weeks ago and I jumped on it and I am pleased to say the pedal orientation is much better. I could not cover (half brake half gas) but heal to toe was very comfortable. Clutch engaement was high and smooth - I do forsee a short throw Barton in my future after a few thousand miles at least. I will also definetly install skip shifter immediately so not to be aggrevated. Overall I was very happy and it just upped my excitment for mid August.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Grey Eagle

Grey Eagle Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Row row row your boat. Sick fun.

If you are trying to set the 1/4 mile record...A8. If you love to drive and the large majority of your time will be on the road, M6. This car is about the visceral experience, the power, the sound and the glory...not carving the fastest times at Lime Rock. For me, the manual increases all of the above experiences.

From a technical perspective, the manual is a solid piece of kit. Short throws, the car is a breeze to drive fast and well with the manual, and the clutch is far lighter than expected. At no time since pick up, have I wished that I bought the A8.

p.s. i also struggled with this decision before purchase

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. American Muscle

American Muscle Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good choice! Wouldn't have anything else. All my cars are M6 and they put the biggest grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Still breaking in the HC so no hard driving yet but love the sound and the feel of the Beast from the nether world. The Challenger is actually pretty civil with the M6 and the throttle response. My 14 has a hair trigger of a throttle and a little stiffer clutch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dHL0L

dHL0L Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just kidding, but in all seriousness you should have zero trepidation. You ask if it will throw you back in the seat? Dude, it hits so hard it can feel like it will throw you into the BACK SEAT! The thread you are referring to, I will speak on behalf of many of us, think the rpms just aren't high enough when he's mashing it and not melting the tires. It's either that or he has a dud. I am slightly careful when ripping on it but do a little more than chirp the tires in the shift from 1 to 2 at about 55 mph....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ahldo123

Ahldo123 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kaneda, the M6 is awesome, the thread I started about the roll on power ( I assume this is what you were referring to) think is being mistaken as I am not happy about it not turning the tires everywhere I go. That isn't the point I was trying to put out there I believe these cars are some of the finest cars available today, The M-6 is extremely fun as it shifts great, haven't had any skip shift run in's and the clutch is perfect, smooth engagement and not heavy put it all together this whole package equals awesome. The manual shifting really makes the supercharger sound even better when pushing up through the gears - sooo yes the M-6 is very fun!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ahldo123

Ahldo123 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dH, you might be right about not enought RPM's as yesterday i took a buddy for a ride and brought the revs up a little more than usual nailed it and his cell phone ended up inthe back seat- it was in his front pocket lol!! It still hooked up hard and took off as it should. He couldn't believe the acceleration and that's all he could tell everyone when they asked how it went, thought it was pretty funny myself.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The M6 was the only option for me... The A8 will be great for the strip, unless it grenades out of warranty?.. Here in Canada, that ain't long! As a driver with good knees, why would I want anything else? For me it's not a daily commuter, but my fun, sunny days off sports car. If I had wanted the wifey to drive it I would have got the auto...:p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drove each back to back, sticking with my auto. I now see why every hypercar going to auto.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the great replies guys. Super excited. My build week is 8/17. SRT said it may be 6-8 weeks from then to get the car. Sounds like a long time, no?

Either transmission is great. Dodge just pushed heavy on the A8 for media, so it was really hard to find driving impressions of the stick. Glad many of you shared your experiences.

• Like Like x 2