Is upgrading the drive shaft required/necessary for a non tracked HC?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MuscleGarageLA, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pardon my ignorance good folks out here, however I have come across several topics/threads regarding the drive shaft that it has now captured my imagination as well or should I say I'm curious now. I guess after driving the hellcat, some of the cat attributes are rubbing off on me now..lol. If this has already been addressed before, then I apologize in advance and would like to be directed to the relevant link to that discussion.

I don't intend to track my cats. I never purchased them for that purpose. I don't have any DR's just stock wheels/summer tires. I do indulge in normal spirited driving and put them through their paces and let it rip every now and then, but no abuse whatsoever. Secondly I would never go at breakneck speeds on the streets. That's not cool in my book and goes against what I stand for. I do however intend to hit the track and give vent to the inner racer in me, when my future viper would step in hopefully (sooner rather than later). Yup if I need a car for the track it has to be the viper or bust. Lol

My question is: Is it still imperative to upgrade to the dss drive shaft even though the cars wouldn't be tracked? Will the stock shaft be durable for everyday driving/occasional spirited driving? My concerns have been further enhanced after seeing so many threads regarding the shaft?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nah.....you're good as is MuscleGarageLA. That's my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah gotta agree with Jolly as long as you keep the DR's or Slicks off the back... you likely won't have enough traction to twist it. But... Its well documented on here that the DS is the weak link. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Upgrading your drive shaft really would be for tracking your car.
    I think the OEM DS will hold up fine even with some spirited driving
    Besides if something went wrong it'll be covered by your warranty.

Linda:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks a lot for that. Very reassuring to say the least since I doubt I would ever indulge in any tracking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for your response. That's what I wanted(or hoping) to hear..:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah no DR's/ Slicks for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To me, it is a safety issue. I like to do some spirited driving on empty roads from time to time.

It is no fun losing traction at 40-50 mph with the 275 all season tires, let alone have the rear end kick out on you at any speed going WOT.

I run 305 Nitto 555r DOT approved drag radials on the rear of my HC for this reason.

If my OEM DS were to fail, I would certainly expect the warranty to cover it.

P.S. I have not come across a single documented OEM DS failure on the street due to running DOT approved drag radial tires.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is some really useful info. right there. It is great to know that there has not been a single reported OEM DS failure while running the DOT approved nitto DR's. That is something I might seriously invest in for safety considerations, like you were alluding to. Hopefully they last long and maintain traction during rains.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jtaugner

Jtaugner Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Long lasting and rain traction aren't in a drag radials description.... 555r's have a wear rating of 100... For comparison Pilot Super Sports are a wear rating of 300.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with a lot of other posters that it is not necessary with an A8 or M6. I have never seen a documented OEM driveshaft break or even seen the comments on the site backing up such evidence

• Like Like x 2
  12. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love my drive shaft...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Speedman busted his on a street NT05's. He made me spend $1,500. I am one of the guys who will have one of the first "revised" V2 CF shafts when they begin sending them out again.

But I have to agree with everyone above reading what you are going to do OP, you are good to go, your OEM shaft is good, if it breaks it should be covered. I have abused mine pretty bad so far, some DR time, as aggressive as you can get with the OEM's and even a set of 315's on the back, AND lots of wheel hop. My driveshaft is still intact. I will say this, after changing out all ten bushings in that rear end with Delrin the wheel hop is flipping gone and the entire drivetrain feels much, much more comfortable now. I am still changing because 1) I am crazy and 2) I will be drag racing at a track soon and plan to absolutely hammer it hard if things are right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a DSS aluminum one going in soon, and I drive mostly on street...but I will be taking the car to a road course once or twice this summer...so for me it's better safe than sorry. It won't hurt...let's just say that...if anything it is just going to make the car feel more connected.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I read your post correctly changing out the rear bushings got read of the wheel hop? Can you send me information or a web link for the bushing manufacturer I couldn't find a direct link. Thanks

• Like Like x 1