Issues at high speed ?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by rubbel, Oct 23, 2015.

1. rubbel

rubbel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    On my way to the race track this morning on a long stretch of deserted 2 lane road I took my Charger up to 150 mph. To my surprise I thought the hood was trying to lift and visually appeared to have a slight bow in the center close to the windshield. Everything was fine until I hit 150 - smooth and accelerating aggressively and effortlessly. At 150 I also heard a slight whistling sound. I backed off when the hood seemed to be trying to lift.

When I stopped and checked the car the hood was rock solid and I could find nothing loose. And no sign of any deformation either. Curious if anyone else had this experience this at high speed?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I personally have not driven mine that fast, but I have read others who experienced exactly what you are describing. No one has reported any damage or issues due to this. A number of forum members have posted top speed dash pics in excess of 180.

3. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    157 / challenger 6m/t .. No issues

4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    170+ in mine, I have noticed the hood "bulging" even going just over 100 or so. Think it just has to with the air pressure building up under there and it pushes the hood up a little bit

5. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't noticed the hood bulging at 150+ mph, but wasn't focussing on it either.

Many cars experience what you are describing at high speeds and it doesn't surprise me. The hood is aluminum and has more play so I say it's nothing to worry about.

Not a bad idea to get some hood pins installed for some piece of mind?

6. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Make sure that the hood is down my stock hood was up A 1/8of a inch on the driver side . For a 200 mph car they should be pined for safety in my opinion

7. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    182 in my Challenger. No hood issues. Only the wipers jumping around. But hey, who needs wipers? :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Jim, they do lift under air pressure, not going anywhere but it sure is unnerving when you see it for the first time.
    TC

9. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had my windows down going 151, then again and again all day once, it all sounded good to me!

Cannot wait to do it again, hope the new radiator holds up, hell with the hood and other bolt-ons. Guess it would be not safe to others if crap starts flying off, huh? Had a home made motorcycle trailer a buddy tried to let me use this summer, he did not use it in years, it basically disintegrated at 70 mph behind me, it was wild listening and watching stuff fly away. It lasted less then ten miles, then I had to pick up several important pieces.

10. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm surprised it took Jim this long to air his car out,:D
    TC

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha, mine was fresh after racing all day. I just watched one of my videos of it going down the straight and hitting a buck and half, hood looks solid at at that speed, FYI.

12. rubbel

rubbel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    John - at almost 66 years old been there done that with enough cars never felt the need. However with a 2 mile straight stretch on the backroad to Bradenton Motorsports Park I said why not. This morning I repeated the test to 157 MPH and for unknown reasons the hood never moved like yesterday. A test like this really does show just how impressive a road car the Hellcat is.

13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Taken my challenger hellcat up to 179mph, hood lifts a little. The amount of air that goes under the hood at that speed lifts it. That's why the hood latch is there to hold it.