It's Here. Finally posting some pics. What a machine!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by darin skelly, Jul 31, 2015.

1. darin skelly

darin skelly Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Hellcat (aka 'lil Bill)
    Pitch Black, Upgraded Navigation, Summer Tires, Black Leather seats

It's been so nice to watch for the last 10 months as everyone has blogged about their concerns, frustrations, and then finally their excitement and joy when finally receiving their Hellcat. It truly is an amazing feeling when you pick it up - mostly!.

However, like most I have had several frustrations along the way. I tried to buy in northern VA near my home but was told I'd be number 12 or 15 on their waiting list if they even were still accepting names to put on their list. Many dealers simply wouldn't promise anything, but they were more than willing however to take a cash deposit stating that they would be sure I'd get one eventually, but no promises for 2015 car. This just wasn't good enough. I wanted a 2015 not a 2016 ! The problem was that I was a little late to the game - I started the process in mid October. However after much calling around I found a great dealer in the Suburbs of Orlando (Sanford Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge) and their Hellcat enthusiast and salesman "Smitty" said it would be close, but he thought he'd still be able to get me one. On blind faith and trust for his words I jumped on his list on 31 October and quickly moved up as a couple deals fell through. I had my doubts as I watched people take delivery and I remained well back on getting to a D1 status. Needless to say it was a tough winter and early spring just sitting and watching as everyone posted about this incredible machine and taking delivery. I was so jealous!! But finally in late April I was told I'd be getting a car and I received a VIN. The problem though was the configuration in the system had an error. I wanted the upgraded black leather seats. No amount of pleading or debate with the dealer or the regional Chrysler rep would change the order. They were of no help at all - I was going to get the car with the standard seats (something I could live with but I was determined). So after much debate and suggestions from many of you on this forum I sent an email to Tim K (Dodge/SRT CEO) and within 1-day I was approached by someone from SRT asking what changes I wanted to make. Needless to say, SRT made things right and they changed the order. They were wonderful and I informed the dealer of the changes now in the system. They congratulated me for doing something they couldn't (or wouldn't) do.

Getting to the good part. The car was received at the dealer on 24 June and I made plane reservations to go take delivery. I have family in Orlando so I'd fly down spend a couple days with family then figure out how to get the car back to Northern VA (either drive or trailer). All good - right?! Well , when I got to the dealer I started the pre-inspection walk around. First thing I noticed was a door ding/dent in front corner panel including missing paint from the damage. Then further inspection showed a chip/gouge in the front bumper. When asking the dealer what happened they stated it came that way. So what were my options? I was told simply I can accept the car with the damage or walk away. They did state though they would send the car to a body shop and have repairs made. I was devastated!! My new $70K Hellcat was already damaged and going to a body shop! I would have to accept a damaged vehicle or walkaway and not get a car. So after a couple sleepless nights I decided to accept the car and have them fix it. They sent the car to their body shop and I lined up the stripe guy to put the graphics down a few days later. Also, I found a friend with a Dodge 3/4 ton truck who would trailer the car to Northern VA. A week later the body shop work was done and the car was loaded for transit to VA. The dealer's stripe guy however "wigged out" and said he wouldn't put graphics on car unless I was physically in town. I wasn't willing to fly back to hold his hand, so I delayed graphics until I got it to VA.

In the end, I had to go to a paint shop in VA to fix the paint/body work performed by the dealer. It cost me another $1400, but now the car is perfect - the way it was supposed to be when I took delivery as a new vehicle. It's frustrating I had to do their work again, but life is too short to complain any more! The dealer thought they did a good job and obviously have different standards on what a new car should look like. I then had CQUARTZ Finest applied and the stripes/graphics applied here in VA. Attached is the finished product. The car finally looks amazing. I love the look of the black satin stripes on the pitch black paint.

Regarding the driving experience, I am still breaking the car in. I have 380 miles so far. The car is sexy loud. It has more performance and it is more responsive then I thought it would be for its size. I track my other cars and I love the feel of a tight track-type car. I can now say I also love the feel of a beast muscle car that is made to go fast and cruise around. This car is truly amazing and worth all the pain and challenge in getting it right! I welcome your thoughts and if you are on the fence regarding applying the CQUARTZ Finest I highly recommend it. What a difference.
    IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0685 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Sorry about the paint BS

3. DrumHellCat

DrumHellCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats man, this car looks SPECTACULAR!!!

4. DrumHellCat

DrumHellCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just curious, what did you do with the rear spoiler? Paint it Pitch or leave it matte?

5. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and you have the patience of a saint. The first time you get in and start it up is really a special moment. Much of the anticipation finally seems worth it. Kitty kicks butt and the throttle response is really something. From time to time, I drive my Tacoma and I wonder how I could ever have thought it was OK...acceleration wise...LOL. Good thing you have several months to really enjoy it before the weather turns questionable and keep us updated as to any new discoveries re: your HC.:)

6. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Left rear spoiler alone. Typically they put rally stripes over top and continue down back bumper etc. it looked better not putting on spoiler in back and just put on body panels. I like the look from factory on spoiler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grtz! Your HellCat looks fabulous! I heartily approve of your stripe choice, even if I am completely biased, LOL! I am really sorry to read about the crap you had to deal with picking up and repairing the car .. but I am glad that you have made the repairs and are happy. Now go enjoy that Cat!

April

8. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been reading your posts for some time and I appreciate your thoughts. They mean a lot to me. Thanks. I love the color combo as well. Took a while to get right. Now it goes in garage under a cover and out for sunny days and fun weekends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TexasTorred

TexasTorred Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, I'm glad it worked out for you. I had the same reservations buying out of state, but my car, transport, everything was darn near perfect. I am somewhat surprised the dealer would not 'fix' their 'halo' car and said take it or leave it. (I'm sure they knew how long you had waited and more importantly, knew you were an 'out-of-towner.' I don't know, I think I might have walked on principle. A couple hundred dollars to buff out/this and that, ok. Over a thousand and repaint on a 'brand new' car --Hmmm.

End of the day, YOUR HAPPY, that's what matters the most. I NEVER in my life wanted to pay over MSRP (and I did slightly) and I DO NOT regret it now 800miles later. Almost all of my vehicles I've bought were at invoice or less..... The Hellcat is a different animal. It is an absolutely amazing vehicle. Deep down, we all know that vehicle could / and is easily a $85K sticker (Charger) price car -for what you get. Can't say enough to Tim Kuniskis/Dodge Family for producing cars like these. I hardly ever hear about a Caddy CTS, Camaro ZL1 or GT500 ....who cares, when you have 'the quickest, fastest sedan in the world' and the first 'supercharged factory HEMI.' Love my Bright White!

10. Hemi1632

Hemi1632 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought mine out of town also, and I would have been devastated if it came in damaged. The car looks fantastic, the stripes look great. I was going to get the hood wrapped in Matt black, but seeing those pictures is making me consider the stripes.

11. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always felt the car would look great with the stripes and you just proved it. Looks fantastic!

12. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree. Btw I paid msrp. That was nice. Lots of lessons learned but like I said, the bottom line for me is I am happy now and plan to enjoy the hell out of it.

13. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love the Matt black hood and stripes. I settled on the stripes because I wanted it to be a little more sporty and playful. It was so mean looking I wanted a more rally look. I think the stripes add a perfect accent to the car and hood detail. I absolutely love the look now. Appreciate the comments. Always nice to hear that others like as well

Darin

14. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks man. I must agree and now I am done. Now I can break her in and play.

15. darin skelly

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree and really appreciate you saying so. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks evil and fun at the same time

D