It's official Chrysler 300 SRT will be no more for North America

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source car and driver

The Refreshed Chrysler 300 SRT Is Hot—But It’s Officially Dead for North America

image.jpg

The mainstream Chrysler 300 lineup received a thorough update for 2015 with nary a peep about the nuclear-grade SRT version. While that was a clear message that the burliest 300 was truly buried in North America—our sources also said as much last year—multiple sightings of refreshed 300 SRTs testing in the U.S. sowed confusion and seemed to indicate otherwise. Well, the answer is now definitive: It’s gone, man.

But not everywhere. Those cars we spotted testing? They were doing so for the benefit of 16 global markets where the SRT is still popular and which are just receiving the updated model, including Australia, New Zealand, Brunei, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Belarus, Angola, six Middle Eastern countries, Indonesia, Japan, and South Korea.

While sales volumes and economics certainly played a role, a Chrysler spokesperson we spoke to cited FCA’s focus on SRT as a Dodge-based performance brand as chief among the reasons for axing the hot 300 from the U.S. (The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is a notable exception, but it sells well enough to justify its continued existence here.) The Canadian-built 300 SRT skews somewhat away from all-out performance, so it moves to export-only status—albeit now with an eight-speed automatic and updated styling to go along with its stonking, 470-hp 6.4-liter Hemi V-8. You can check out a batch of photos of the refreshed car in our gallery below.

We always liked the 300 SRT’s blend of luxury and uniquely American brutality, and it came across as a sort of budget AMG. (Which, given the Mercedes roots of its platform, we suppose it is.) While it’s not like SRT isn’t churning out interesting stuff for us nowadays—witness the Hellcatting of all the things—it’s hard not to be bummed that the latest version won’t be roaming U.S. streets.

2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Because Zimbabwe is such a hot market

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jim M

Jim M SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    SRT told me last fall that there would be no 300 SRT's built. That's when I decided on the Charger HC.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From the SRT track day thing, I thought the 300s were boring. Just go charger if you want the 4 door IMO

5. Jim M

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When I did the Track Experience in '08, the 300 was faster than the Charger for me. They gave me 2 extra laps in the 300 because the instructor couldn't lose me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In 2014 at the SRT Track Experience, I rode the hot laps with the pro driver in the 300 SRT. It was not boring. If there was a 300 Hellcat I would probably trade my Challenger.

7. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Although the 300 seems like a nice vehicle, I just can't wrap my head around the ugly front end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jim M

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The 300 SRT was my favorite at the Track Experience. I did a hairpin turn on the west end of the course 4 times with it in a 4-wheel power slide. While doing that I was thinking, here I am with my right foot on the floor, sitting in a nice leather seat with AC blowing in my face. Life doesn't get any better than that.

• Like Like x 1