Its still a Dodge. Sad Day for Paint.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Bubba871, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So when I washed my new Cat today I found a flaw in the paint job from the factory. It looks like an air bubble that burst during the baking process. Its not noticeable unless you really look but now my eye goes to it right away. Sadly I don;t think there is anything I can do. If I take it in I suspect they will have to repaint the whole hood and it may not match perfectly and it won't have the baked on factory finish. If any experienced body guys out there have any ideas I am all ears! I guess in the end I have to remember its a Dodge and not a Mercedes and the Hellcats probably get painted right along side the $27K SXT.

[GALLERY=] IMG_0747.JPG [/GALLERY]

2. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Body shops match paint everyday in this country. I would insist they remove the hood to paint and keep the car covered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's weird is it looks like a perfect circle...and I agree, the body shop( a good one ) can repaint that hood (red line red pearl ) and match it, and you may never know it was done..back in 2012 my charger rt had a few body panels repainted from what liked life fall out,, they matched perfect.same color as your car..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah... I'd take it back in and have it redone... a good body shop will match the paint perfectly. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do they bake on the paint like the factory?

6. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not like the factory does... but you don't need to worry about that. It will turn out fine. This is the Ultimate Factory video of the paint process.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They need to do the entire area ( hood ) The grain and pattern if the metallic won't match.
    I would not worry about the body shop paint. I think it may hold up better, but there is an orientation to the tiny metal flakes that will vary. They will match the color spot on. Sorry its not a spot repair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If my local collision center can remove my spoiler and paint it to match my Redline perfectly, then I have no doubt that your hood can be done (below are some pictures of the spoiler painted Redline TriCoat Pearl, with one after the stripes and the final rear badges were added). Go talk to some collision/body shops and see if they can hook you up! Let us know what you find out, and Good Luck! :)

April

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One thing I've learned is that pictures on forums with light hitting it at just the right angle make things look worse than in real life. Another thing I've learned with a Vet I had is you can sometimes obsess with a minor paint issue and then make it worse trying to get it fixed. (I ended up selling the car after making it worse and getting disgusted). A car is only original once and nothing is perfect, or even if it is it won't be for long. Leave it alone, worse will happen. I don't even care about minor scratches anymore even on my classic cars. Ironically, the less I worry, the less happens. When I was more fanatical it seemed like I could not even go a few blocks without something damaging my cars in the most absurd and unexpected ways. Ironically now that I don't care if something does, nothing happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I have decided to leave it alone. I agree that it could end up a complete disaster. Taking a Hellcat in and having to leave it for a week? No thanks. And then there is the potential for more damage at the dealer or the body shop. Accidents happen. And I know they can match the color but it wont be the baked on finish. If it was just a small part on the car I would do it but the entire hood scares me. Its the focal point of the car. (As a test I asked my neighbor to find the blemish on the car and he could not find it in the sun.) At some point I may just put the black aluminum hood on the cat anyway.

11. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you put the stripes on your cat? Looks cool! I love the stripes!

12. AlbertaBlackTop

AlbertaBlackTop Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had a few spots on my hood fixed.i was worried but It looks great. image.jpeg

13. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well said my man!!!!

14. Plum 16

Plum 16 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think that it matters what kind of car it is. My E63 has a couple of paint issues that if I were keeping it I would have to handle. It is one of the more irritating cars I've had in a while. I look forward to getting the kitty.

15. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I had a sign shop cut the stripes and install them for me. :)

April

• Like Like x 1