Jalopnik gets HC to review. Why Dodge why!?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by GeneralLee, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GeneralLee

GeneralLee Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So many things wrong with this review. For example, "Pedal feel isn't linear at all, and the brakes never feel like they have the bite to handle both this car's weight and power. They're decent, just too soft and not up to the task at hand." Not one reviewer has ever said this.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat The Jalopnik Review

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm more upset with the grammer and speeling mistakes from a "professional" writer.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You know last week I read someone ranting about why they gave this guy a Hellcat as he is an absolute idiot and can't drive worth crap....I see now what they meant. He is saying some of the opposite stuff out of every review and normal driver reviews posted here are saying. He really sounds like a pansy who has no business driving cars like this!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GeneralLee

GeneralLee Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    We saw the same thing. And here is the end result.

5. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have to take the good with the bad. This guy is NOT a Mopar guy so, what he says does not mean squat. :) I'd guess he drives a Chabe.

6. Helldog

Helldog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope there are a lot more negative reviews so maybe I can get one for a decent price :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's Jalopnik, what did you expect? LOL. I am usually entertained by them and this article entertained me, too. Not everything he said was bad. But here are my disagreements:

1) Brakes. Whoever drove before him must have killed the brakes as mine are most certainly not 'soft'. I'm used to Brembos (had them since 2007), but these really surprised me, especially with the weight. They have a ton of bite and bring this fat pig down from speed real quick.

2) Handling. Yes it's not a canyon carver. If you want that go buy something track oriented and good luck fitting more than 1 passenger. This car is not meant to be a track car but it definitely holds its own for what it is. Even with stock all seasons I've taken sweeping corners at high speed and very little body roll and lots of confidence. No complaints here. Not bias speaking, either.. if it was crap, I'd say so.

3) Daily driver potential. I drive mine every day and it's perfectly fine to drive in 700+ mode. I keep it there most of the time unless I'm cruising down the highway at a steady speed and I'll throw it in ECO mode (it does seem to make a difference as I've watched my miles range go UP in ECO mode). Drive it normally and it's perfectly fine.. just don't drive it like a Civic you're trying to keep in the powerband all the time. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well he did get one thing right, the last sentence. This is not a car to trifle with. Rookies to HP need to learn to use the loud pedal in stages like a top fuel driver does to get their(politically correct;)) NHRA license. I know I will be careful for a while when I ever get mine built.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Jalopnik is a Carmax guy he doesn't know much about hellcats but he's friend with Carmax dealer he bought his Rover from I read a while back. He done some reviews there and some waste of time articles many of his FB members complain about.

10. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is obvious that he is not driving the same car that I am! Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... no matter how wrong it may be! :p

April

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HCApologist

HCApologist Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very glad to hear you say this about the brakes, as I have heard every reviewer talk about how great the brakes were and was wondering how this one reviewer came to a radically different conclusion. The brakes are one of the things I am looking most forward to! Also, almost every review I have ever read says that they are shocked at how livable it would be as a daily driver (as well at how surprised they are at the handling for such a large car). Almost seemed as if some of the things he said were motivated by the need to be different instead of objective and impartial. Anyway, thanks for the comments!

• Like Like x 1
  12. BitDrive

BitDrive Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought it was well written and entertaining...

Regarding the brakes... I would imagine a 9300 mile Press car has had 9,296 very very hard, stop and go thrashings its entire life.

Makes you wonder how many sets of tires[​IMG]have been on that car by now :)

13. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the rebuttle. Great job.

14. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All of the braking #'s I've read have contradicted what this guy wrote. Most common comment is that no fade on multiple hard stops. Same on recent review of HC Charger.

15. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not too wrapped up on the words from a guy who doesn't own the car. I know the Hellcat better than he does.