JLT catch can mounting issue?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by natesrt, Apr 15, 2016.

1. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.png Hey guys I just installed the pax side jlt catch can and compared to other pics I've seen mine looks like it's more to the right (looking from front).

I had to install the bracket as far back as possible on the stud because the hose was really close to the SC belt. Then the other Hose touches some plastic part on the SC nose.

I attached a pic. Is this normal? I ended up tilting it a bit so that the hose had some clearance from the plastic part but the other pics I've seen show wayyy more clearance all around. I'm wondering if I did something wrong on the install or my bracket is wrong?

In one other pic I saw the bracket almost seemed like it had a slight bend in it whereas mine is completely straight. The kit I got was for the pax side not the drivers side.

Thanks for any help!

2. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IMG_2411.JPG
    That's the way mine was too. I mounted mine like you did and after mounting the can on the bracket, I twisted/rotated the bracket/can clockwise just a enough to give the hose about 1/4 inch clearance from the supercharger belt. The hose really needs to be about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter to keep the hose from bowing towards the belt.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The bracket does seem kinda thin so you're staying you just twisted it while it was mounted? I guess that would solve the belt and the plastic clearance issues...

4. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes twist it after mounting. The bracket is aluminum so it don't take much to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Trim the hoses 3/4" to take up the slack.

Warson

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Both hoses?

7. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I trimmed at least 3/4 if not 1" from each side because I had the same condition us you. I simply used a razor blade to cut it lengthwise along the the nipple (plastic, you won't damage it), slid It off the nipple, cut the length off and slid it back on the nipple, repeat on the other side. Doing this will take up the slack and prevent some potential interference. I actually did it twice on the first side because I didn't take enough off.

Others have done the same. One member recently contacted JLT and according to him, they are shipping them with shorter hoses after they were informed of the potential issue.

Warson

8. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I trimmed the intake (TB) hose 3/4" and now there's plenty of space to the SC belt. Didn't need to trim the PCV side. Several others have had this issue so I emailed Vinnie and JLT will start cutting the hose a little shorter.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok thanks guys I guess I will start with the intake side and go from there. On the other side of the can do you also notice the hose touching that black plastic piece if the can is straight up or did you do like plumcrazy and twist the can on the bracket also?

10. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's the sc bypass. No worries if the hose touches it, as it never gets that hot. I just tilted the bracket a bit and it doesn't touch. If you cut the intake hose you don't have to back the bracket all the way to the end of the stud. I backed the lock nut out about a quarter of an inch and it gives you a bit more clearance to the bypass.

11. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg Thanks guys. I ended up taking about 3/4 inch from both hoses. It's still a close fit but there's not much slack left so it doesn't seem like it will touch the belt.

Here's a pic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good job. That's one thing I like about the JLT... it tucks in there and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Looks almost OEM.

13. Xander

Xander Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had same issue with my JLT catch can hose from catch can to intake. I also cut it 1/2-3/4 inches, remounted, and now have acceptable clearance with SC belt. I'm still trying to tweak the position so it does not touch the SC bypass.

14. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    JLT now uses stronger hoses and both fittings are 90 degree. I trimmed a very small amount off of the hose going to the snout. There's plenty of clearance from the belt. It's also fitting nice and straight. See pics below.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

15. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have nowhere near that amount of clearance. I probably would need to trim the hose significantly to get it like that.

I just ordered my kit 2 weeks ago so it's pretty recent. I do have the 90 degree fittings but the clearance is not like your pics.

After the trimming it is much better though.