John Dodge / Wireless & the Future

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by TallCool1, Aug 26, 2015.

1. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    John Dodge,

I'm hopeful this will make it to where it needs to go.

(I run and E&O organization for a NA cellular network provider. This has been my primary career for a long time; working in all segments, specializing in the RF air interface, working in R&D, and in other capacities.) (I've worked in that capacity for the 2 of the 3 tier 1 wireless carriers in the US.)

What is the migration strategy for Hellcats. It appears to me the Sierra Wireless radio in the 2015 Hellcats only supports 3G/EVDO/1X. Major NA carriers (including who FCA has agreements with now that are the preferred carrier of FCA wireless traffic) are rapidly reducing resources associated with 3G/EVDO/1X. As our customer bases migrate their devices to newer technologies (predominantly LTE in NA) in turn we migrate our networks to the newer technology (spectrum is valuable and finite resource it makes fiscal sense to do so.) In fact, some carriers in the US have less than 50% of their network supporting 3G/EVDO/1X, in service today, compared to just 3 years ago. While FCA may have contractual arrangements that contradict with our future plans, the reality is traffic generated from you is minuscule compared to overall net volume and payload. Overtime, any device relying on the older legacy technologies in place today, they will become problematic and eventually cease to operate. Case in point my network often overloads on legacy resources, where other carriers are defeating legacy resources faster than we are, and inter carrier roaming agreements are in place with them are structured that way and they are leveraging that. Still we can only handle so much the performance of devices caught in that suffer. FCA business profit will not be enough to keep us from doing what is in the bigger bests interests of migrating to new technology, you will not slow that down despite anything you're told to the contrary or believe is addressed in contracts.

Specifically, FCA has two things they need to do. Provide an radio upgrade paths, and enter into agreements where the new technologies we deploy that will carry your traffic. My questions -

Where are you with your wireless strategy?
    Are you discussing agreements with NA carriers to move to current air interfaces?
    Do you have upgrade paths e.g. for Hellcats? (This car will be around when no 3G/EVDO/1X exists. I know that for a fact. 3G/EVDO/1X sunset is imminent.)
    Will you offer radio upgrade swaps minus a head end change?
    Will you offer head end swaps that would provide a radio upgrade to new technologies?
    Will 2016 cars contain a radio that supports LTE in NA, even if you haven't entered into agreements to utilize the service?
    What about the 2015 Hellcats?

Do the right thing and get this going and open up and communicate to your customer base. My sincere hope is FCA is working on this, and is doing so, aggressively, where wireless connectivity becomes valuable to your consumer base (which is definitely the case in Hellcats.)

Thank you.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They use the tail light project plan for technology upgrades. Once they see your tail lights go off into the distance, they don't care.

Not only what you mentioned, but what will happen to all the custom settings in the future only accessable via the touchscreen/headunit?

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This reminds me of some words to an old song "to much time on my hands" :)

4. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    or the performance page access I'd hate to loose that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Be nice ;) I care for your car too (you know that.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice TC1

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I you are lucky they will do the same thing GM did when we complained the analog OnStar in our Yukon was obsolete and quit working- send a $500 voucher good on a new vehicle.

8. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    See I know Charles in Charge brother is a genius

9. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would venture to say that if FCA is like any other automobile manufacturer (I'm sure they are) the path to upgrade is a new vehicle purchase. We will see if they make the 2016 unit with Siri capability a liable for the current hellcat owners. I'm not holding my breath.

10. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most likely the air card can be easily changed, it's not made by HK, so it probably can be removed and repalced.

That would keep connectivity, which does nothing for features a new head end might offer. So long as fca supports the swap, or a head end swap.

My 1st concern is maintaing wireless connectivity.