Just Got My Hellcat; Quite the Journey

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by TheStealthCat, Dec 6, 2015.

1. TheStealthCat

TheStealthCat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello All,

Figured I would make a post now that I have mine. I'm 27 years old, and am an E-6 in the Navy. I originally bought a 2009 Kia Rio back in 2011 when I was brand new to the service, and for about 2 months I have been looking for something else to drive. I was definitely on the fence about a C7 Corvette and the Challenger series for a long while. Ultimately the deciding factor for me was that I think I've always been a fan of the old 1970s Challengers, could definitely utilize the back seats sometime down the road, and I thought the trunk would be a bit more useful than in the C7. I have been in one with the Scat pack and was definitely a fan. For me, I went with the decision to go with a hellcat because I can see myself driving it for years to come, and other cars, I can't say so with certainty.

So I began researching, looking at reviews, seeing them on youtube, and so on. I was confident in my decision. So I began searching and was talking to a dealer located close to where I used to live about ordering one. After about 10 emails, I decided to talk to another representative from the same dealer VIA their site which included a chat app. The answers I received concerning wait time certainly made me second guess myself and the hellcat. So I figured I would only search for hellcats that were located at dealerships that were not reserved. I was looking for a 2016 with a sunroof, black paint, interior and wheels. I looked for what seemed like an eternity on different auto selling sites until I found one about 400 miles away from me that was not marked up with a ridiculous out-the-door price.

I put down a deposit to reserve it until all the paperwork was taken care of, and waited a week to fly home. I was anxious. With considerable jet lag the day I flew back, I got a rental car, tried to sleep a few hours that evening and at 2 am I was wide awake. I got my Mom up to take the journey with me and I drove 6.5 hours to the dealership (with lots of stops and even a 30 min nap in between). After about an hour at the dealership the Hellcat was mine!! I was so happy and nervous at the same time. I was a bit intimidated at first because of all the people I spoke to at the dealership thought I was extremely young to buy it (which of course I understand). I couldn't possibly be the one that was talking to them throughout the car buying process; But I was and everything worked out!

I drove the car easily to the rental drop off less than a mile away. I parked it and before I turned it off there was a lot of smoke coming out of the hood and it smelled like burning plastic. I was frustrated and the dealership drove out a mechanic in a jiffy. They took a look at it and told me they forgot to take off some of the stickers on the underside of the car, specifically along the exhaust and near the catalytic converter. They said it would just burn off during the drive home and I was ok with it I guess.

The ride back home was amazing. I got used to the car, and was blasted away by two mustangs (one a GT and the other I couldn't tell). I exercised restraint in not even attempting to entertain racing on the interstate with my mother in the car that I just got that day... No tickets, I like that the car is noticed by some people but not all, and that it sounds amazing. I originally thought I wanted to de-badge the car to give it more of a stealthy look. After purchasing it, the emblems on the side don't stick out as much as I thought, and secondly, even if I did de-badge the car there is no denying the sound or the hood, so they grew on me.

I've had it for a few days now and couldn't be happier, I haven't had the burning problem since and coincidentally the stickers are indeed gone. And without sounding too much like a hypocrite, I would like to say for all those who are waiting on theirs I am telling you it is worth it! (The wait and ordering process just wasn't for me).

V/R
    Cory

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Beautiful car, hell of a step up from a Kia Rio..please be safe and follow the break in. Congrats, and welcome to the forum

3. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the Hellcat! Welcome to the forum enjoy the ride!

4. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Way to sidestep the aggrivation,
    Enjoy that "stealthy cat"machine!
    Keep the rubber side down.
    Far

5. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations and thanks for your service lumpy

6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!
    No better help than self help on finding your HC! Must be a military thing...

Get her broke in and then drive it like you stole it!

7. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats...! Also have to say thank you for your service and way to go with achieving E-6 in such a short period of time !

8. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and wow! E6 in four years? You are a motivated young man and obviously excellent at what you do! Enjoy the car and thank you for your service! You certainly deserve it!

9. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and welcome to the forum!!

10. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and welcome to the family. Thanks for your service.

11. Speedlogix Sales

Speedlogix Sales Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Congrats on the new Hellcat, and thank you for your service.

- Alexis

12. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service.:D

13. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. You will love the Hellcat. Be safe and take a little time to get acquainted. They are awesome beasts but can bite

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Driller

Driller Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    FIRST THANK YOU for serving. Just don't do anything stupid, get to know this beast. Take your time, the Hellcat will teach you. If you are good to it, it will give back ten fold in enjoyment. Remember NOTHING is cheap to fix on the Hellcats

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome and congratulations on catching your cat even short hunts are awesome ;)