K&N Shut Me Down

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by BKuz, Oct 17, 2015.

1. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have sent numerous emails to K&N about the susceptibility of their Typhoon CAI to get rain soaked. The placement of the CAI is directly under the heat exchanger vent of the hood. First, they told me to use the Dry Charger on the CAI. I told them the Dry Charger would be worthless if my Hellcat got caught in a Florida summer torrential downpour. The Dry Charger would not protect the CAI from getting soaked. Then there next brilliant solution was to put the stock air filter back on! Brilliant! So instead of K&N working with the customer in trying to find a solution such as including a rain shield with the CAI they suggest pulling over in a rainstorm and putting your stock air filter. K&N how about putting your CAI where the sun don't shine

BKuz

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds about right.

Have you thought about cutting a piece of plastic the same shape as the exchanger and securing it through the honeycomb with a bolt and washers? It's stupid but if you want to keep the K&N it'd get the job done. You could slap it on in about a minute when you know you're about to get rained on.

3. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    bwoody has a deflector shield works well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I could make my own but it slows how little K&N cares about input from their customers. You buy a product and you would think all the issues and bugs would be worked out, without you having to resort to jerry rigging a fix yourself.

BKuz

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From what I have read (and went thru the afe debacle), don't seem to be much justification for taking out the factory box. They solved the issue you speak of.

6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not a fan of K&N, had on my Cummins. the turbo let go under warranty. the dealer gave me a new Turbo and took off the K&N told me not use it and put a Mopar filter back on. They said they could not be certain why the turbo went but said if it fails again and they see the K&N filter it would be void. I did not have any improvements either way with or with the K&N. Just you could hear the turbo a bit more. I put another 85k miles on that turbo before trading it in with no problems.

Back to the Hellcat, there are better ways to make it faster. I believe you should start with traction.

• Winner Winner x 1