K40 Laser Defuser Installation Pictures

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by goingsolo2, Jul 9, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Today I had my K40 Laser Defuser installed...relatively easy installation if you have the proper tools and patience to remove panels slowly. This defuser loudly signals when your car is shot with laser and defuses it so there is no readout from your vehicle. It comes with a red LED as well, which blinks when you're hit with laser. It has a ton of range as well...enough to slow down and not get caught. K40 even lays your ticket if you indeed get one. We mounted the red LED in the top middle of the gauge cluster...you can barely notice it and it looks OEM. The word runs right along with the hood release wire, so the engine bay looks seamless as well. Here are some pics.

Here's the box it comes in.
    image.jpg

Run wire along hood release. Use small zip ties and hide the wire under hood release wire...can't even see it when it's done.
    image.jpg

Drill hole into top of bezel. Use the clip because it marks a center point. Top home must be made larger to drop LED in from top. You can insert it through bottom of bezel, but more of the light would stick out. Hot glue wire to top side of bezel. I also made a notch using a file in the clip to run the wire so it did not interfere with snapping the bezel back in place. Add two dabs of black colored hot glue on the wire to keep it neat.
    image.jpg

Here a look at LED once installed. It's bright when it lights up, but you barely see it when it's not lit.
    image.jpg

Panels removed to run wiring and install the speaker for the warning chime. Everything mounts right to the aluminum plate you see there, that's already in the car. The speaker is plenty loud, even being mounted behind the dash panel.
    image.jpg

Close up with cluster removed. Cluster is only held in with clips. Remove carefully, so as not to break any clips.
    image.jpg

Another view of where we put LED.
    image.jpg

Plate frame with mount for defuser sensor installed. Looks like an EZ Pass, to be honest.
    image.jpg

Enjoy and drive safely!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Then does it look like this?

image.jpg

Mine was installed, all he said was it came apart easy and went back together well. I was good with it, I can't find any of my parts except the external diffuser box. They say that is for finding curbs you know?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I opted for the red LED, and only did the front. I didn't want to spend the extra money on the rear. I figured there's a slim to none chance that I'll get shot with laser from the back. You're looks well done also!

4. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, you up just have the Diffuser. I have the whole RL360i system. He must have torn tons of stuff apart! I have not been hit with one of those, it is much more likely of getting hit with a non-laser. I have several "hits".

5. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Around my area, most just use laser. Plus, I want to put some money in other places, like tuning and my CF driveshaft...which should be arriving any day now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Understand completely. That thing, tires, wheels, trailing arms, brake pads, AFe new air box, and a bunch of little things are making me wait until 2016 for my drive shaft and whatever tune/upgrade seems best next spring. 2015 budget gone!

I am pleased at the amount of radar monitoring us around here is much less than I thought. The lasers seems to be very rare up is way, and I am ok with that. Enjoy the car, because it is a beast, be safe above all else.

7. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The unit I have installed can also be upgraded to include radar bands, rear laser, etc. I just don't find it necessary at the moment, when I have other things I want to get LOL. In the even I take a long road trip, I'll hook up a portable radar detector.

8. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Do they pay for bail money too?

9. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL no street racing for me...just for long road trips when I'm slightly above the limit and forget to look down and check. This car feels like 60 when you're going 90.

10. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so do the officers trying to see your speed with the laser gun know you have this defuser installed

11. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The way I understand it is that a speed will not register. They are legal because they are regulated by the FDA, not the FCC. The jammers are illegal because the FCC regulates them.

The whole idea is that you know they have a laser on you before they can even see you or you see them. They have excellent range. You're already slowed down by the time you pass them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where did you see the felony penalty you quote? One guy has been written up in the Twin Cities area, cop gave him an equipment violation. Info from the installer.

13. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine isn't the K40G5....it's another one...we checked all of the rules on it. I also spoke with 2 of my police officer friends and they said it was fine.

14. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My son knows a lot of police officers in Minnetonka including the police chief as well as several state patrol officers. Minnesota Laser Jammer Laws - Guys of LIDAR I am surprised you don't know this. Any device that jams a signal used by law enforcement is illegal in Minnesota. Laser jammers fall under the broad heading of radar jammers. State Radar Detector and Laser Jammer Laws[/QUOTE]
    I understand illegal or not, I have researched the MN State Statutes. I do know the difference btw a misdemeanor and a felony. Again where do you get the info about the felony offense?

15. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As far as I understand, it's not a jammer…it's a defuser…the two are supposedly different. I have to look and see what model it is.