Keeping It Original

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mopar707, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With all original parts a factor with collector cars, keeping all the original parts when they need changed out so you have all the original but used up parts to pass on does not cut it. Those really looking to have an all original car down the road need to consider removing the oil filter, air filter, belts, hoses, tires and battery as soon as they get the car for careful and well preserved storage. Then you can actually enjoy the car and drive it and still have all original parts to put back at any future date when it is advantageous. Just some food for thought. They are only original once, and cars kept original by never being driven with extremely low mileage have usually suffered all kinds of other gasket and seal deterioration issues. You know how many 60's and 70's Hemi owners wish they could find proper date coded parts for the "consumables."

Think about that Tammie and start ordering replacement parts now! And when you get it don't drive it until you have done so. Good things come to those who wait.

2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmm interesting

3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Mopar707. I am challenged with the whole good things come to those who wait thing...I do agree with you though. I kept all the original parts for my Charger and am giving them to the dealer with my trade in. I even went so far as to keep the stock exhaust. Interestingly enough, I am not so keen on keeping something totally original. I can appreciate the value and nostalia, but I can also appreciate the uniqueness and creativity of having something a little different than everyone else. My Camaro was NOT stock by any means, but I enjoyed it everyday that I was not pushing it because it died. I am not going to commit to anything right now, but I will probably put a sunroof in it (I know many of you are cringing right now) but for me a car is something that I can enjoy the way I want it, not what someone else would want. I am not saying I won't take this great advice because there is definitely something to be said for having the original items. I just think once I tear a hole in the roof, I have wiped out all considerations for stock and then who knows how crazy it might get. ;)

4. Sum1 Else

Sum1 Else Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just drive them and enjoy it today, there might not be tomorrow.

I quit worrying about the little stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am rooting for all the folks who are planning on cutting in sunroofs, painting stripes on the trunk, adding Daytona wings, adding the conversion kit so it looks like a Cuda, tubbing the rear wheel wells, installing a hydraulic lift kit, changing the carpet to high/lo shag, stuffing in a Viper V-10, adding a 15,000 watt stereo with a subwoofer that fills the back seat and trunk, adding undercarriage lighting or even that hood ornament JC Whitney has been selling for 50 years of the guy thumbing his nose where his hand and nose lights up. Since they are making 4,000+ of these things, folks have to do unusual things to these cars to get down to the 1,400 cars buyers heard originally rumored still left untouched and collectible. I am by no means one of those guys who buys a car and stores it so it has 1,000 miles in 10 years when they sell it to the next buyer for half of what they paid. That is like not having sex with your wife to save her for her second husband.

I bought a 96 Viper GTS, modded it a bunch, had fun with it and then returned it to stock when I sold it. I sold 4K worth of used modifications off the car and got 4K more for the car without the mods than I was offered with them. I found out from that experience that buyers like their first editions of icons left alone.

That said, once anyone buys one of these it is their to do as they wish. I just hate to go to car shows and hear folks walking around muttering "what were they thinking?" Let the sawsalling begin! LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not buying mine for an investment so I don't care, however that will make your efforts worth more. I am the buyer who will drive it. If I had tons of cash I would have bought a couple to put away.
    I figure the rear tires are going to be the first to go. Just can't image them holding up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. perry

perry Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    feel your thinking

8. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good way to look at things. Life IS short.

9. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Get off my lawn!

• Like Like x 1
  10. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think its a good idea to,, Keeping all extra parts..

• Agree Agree x 1