Last CDJ product I will buy

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by AER, Jul 1, 2015.

1. AER

AER Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just got off the phone with Mopar tech to ask why my car suffered heatsoak after aggressive driving, and I was told that "they are not interested in hearing about engineering flaws that may exist and would be unable to help figure out what happened."

Useless

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well it's true. As a tech we had a saying the 3 B's-Didn't build it, buy it or break it;)

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Contact FCA. Most techs, not all, don't have a damn clue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree BUT lets take a simple issue which isn't an issue per say. In traffic my coolant temp goes to 220 never overheats I just don't like it. There's no way I can go into the ECM and make the coolant fan come on at 200 the factory has to have a program. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing as a tech.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually I think Dodge did a great job with the HC's, they are better than most of the other brands running a SC, sure they can be improved upon, but for daily driving and occasional racing, a thumbs up.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounded to me like he did.

I called FCA's engineers over the lack of front license plate brackets on my 13 Wrangler and 2012 Ram. After about a month and multiple phone calls from them-to me they told me they will not be able to find a solution to my problem.

Every time I hit a drive through carwash the front plates on both vehicles would get taco'd. Solution, painters tape the crap out of them to the bumper before entering the carwash. My wife actually had her plate ripped off (yes it was taped, or so she says) at the car wash a couple of weeks ago. Thanks FCA!

7. AER

AER Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Spoke to the engineers and they were utterly useless. Problem is they advertised about how they built this supercar that frankly, while a fun daily driver, doesn't stand up to its advertising when pushed. I mean to be told well don't believe our advertising is a little silly.

8. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wait a minute here. All cars heat soak to a point....no matter how good your cooling system is.

What is your issue? Cuase the temp creeps up a little in traffic? Maybe feels a little down on power in the heat of the summer day? Which there is a flash for that FYI.

*edit*
    OK I see your other post about the supercharger stopped working.

How down on power was it? 35 minutes of "spirited driving" as you stated in this summer heat is going to heat soak a little. They advertised 20 minutes of straight driving before power loss. If you got 35 you fell well within their advertised 20 minutes.

Think we have heat soak....I suggest you go talk to a new C7 Z06 owner.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know what else FCA could have done to lessen heat soak. With dual intercoolers and a large heat exchanger, they followed the book.To be fair, I think youre really pulling the HC out of its element. These cars are straight line monsters, really not designed for the oval. N/A cars like the Boss and new GT350 are more at home there.

As far as Mopar techs go, they'll follow the party line and will not go out on a limb with anything substantial. Myself, I'm not real thrilled that my brand new $67k car needs a new differential, but I'm not ready to write off FCA. Not impressed with quality control, but sh#* happens.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you want an all out race car, then build or buy one. Bitching because a production car heat soaks is a little much.

Want more cooling? Then modify it. The initial comment by FCA was 20 minutes. Not 21. Not 35. 20 minutes. Which for a production car getting hammered isn't bad at all, depending on conditions and airflow.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think your expectations are not logical. They spent 100's and 100's of hours on this issue.
    In early interviews they said the biggest problem was heat. So no fogs,
    no inner light, No grill ornamentation, No front end radar, just open gulping air front end.
    and three functional scoops on the hood for good measure.

I just ran 20Hours at 80 -100 mph at 100+ degree outside temps and felt a little heat soak. But overall still amazed. I drove cars back in the day with half the power, twice the fuel consumption and twice the overheating problems. 20 minutes in traffic and you would have to shut them down or get moving.. Um it's called a "hot car" lmbo... We had to dial back the mixture and timing just to get to work on Monday morning.
    Every Friday night if you wanted to go to the track we had to reverse the process. We drove around with cases of octaboost just to keep our high comp engines from pinging to all bloody hell.
    Now you hop in a car have 700 plus hp 199 top end it adjust itself 30 times a minute instead of twice a week. run it at high speeds with ac on through a desert. and do all that for under 100k ... and still you expect more...

What I read is that they designed this car to run full out for twenty minutes on the track at 100+ ambient without overheating while balancing that against power loss.
    They fought this for awhile and stated so.
    I think they did a great job! The laws of physics will always play some hand they are not gods.
    In my opinion that is the sport of this whole hobby every car and I mean every car has its flaws. Even normally aspirated cars drop power when they suck in overheated air. My cat was drinking 150 degrees air for over an hour and still coolant temp was 204 with very strong acceleration. I would have blown my ss454 to shreds on this last trip.
    This car is a marvel of the automotive tech available today.
    but as always we are all entitled to our opinion. Right or wrong I just gave you mine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. MizzouRT

MizzouRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm with TC and Notch on this one. The Hellcat does a great job of avoiding heat soak. The new Z06 suffers heat soak after about 2 minutes. 35 minutes of running hard is going to produce heat soak. I'm impressed the Hellcat is good for 20 minutes. Not an accident the Z28 and GT350 are naturally aspirated cars. Ford spent a lot of time and money on the FPC to avoid supercharging the GT350. By the way, Chevy wanted the C7 Z06 to be naturally aspirated, but they couldn't make the power they wanted and still meet emissions without supercharging. But now they have terrible heat soak issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fast Cat races here on the fringe of Hell, and he reports no heat soak. However, expect a loss due to temps of upwards of 60 hp. That is not heat soak, that is ambient temps.

I can tell you from experience that nose sucks up so much air at speed the hood bows upwards on both sides. I am not drunk, I have filmed and it had been filmed by others.

I can tell you from experience that no other hi-perf car I've owned takes longer to warm up the oil to "normal" range at around town speeds.

Please, explain the situation fully-I am curious-we are curious to know.
    Tammy may put it in the Wiki, man :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WiKi ready!!! Just give me the facts.;)

15. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's no surprise the Z06 has heat soak issues. TVS (Roots) superchargers inherently run hotter than twin screws to start with. Also there's not a whole bunch of room for cooling hardware.