last minute order confusions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by abcdefg, Nov 12, 2015.

1. abcdefg

abcdefg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went to the dealer today and at the last minute hesitated, instead of the M6 I wanted I ordered an A8 on the waiting list. The M6 was going to be D1 available in 6 weeks and the A8 2 more months or so, who knows. I'm a stick shift guy and love it, but couldn't bear the idea of having a slower hellcat than the others. I don't think I will ever race it, and now I'm concerned I won't have the real feeling of that beast without shifting the stick with my own hand. Anyone here with good stick shift experience and skills drove both and ended up buying the A8? Are those 3 milliseconds worth it? And if so, any regrets. Thanks

2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Get the M6. Why wait when you know you like a manual tranny? 3 milliseconds are standing between you and what you really want...

• Like Like x 1
  3. shooter45

shooter45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered M6 too.stayed awake trying to talk myself into a A8 than my son said you never raced a car at the track in 57 years so get the M6..That's how I looked at it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will love the A8. I am a manual guy as well but once I drove the A8 I was happy I got it. The ratios are spaced perfectly and around town it sounds badass going up through the gears. In default mode it shifts early, and crisply, and the sound is intoxicating...even just getting up to 35 mph. It downshifts nicely too and the exhaust burbble....Use sport or track mode and it holds the gear longer and downshifts earlier...and the feel of the shifts is amazing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CNYHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I forgot to mention: If you are drinking coffee, doing the crossword, shaving, or, for the fairer sex, putting on eyeliner, all that's easier with the A8....LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been circuit racing well over 20 years. For that purpose manual only is the way to go. But the Hellcat is a fat lard arse weighing over 4400lb and will never be a race car. Quarter mile car sure. The A8 is a blast to drive. A brilliant gearbox, you won't be disappointed. Take a Hellcat to the track and it will go well. Once you have honed your skill it will eat through discs,pads, tyres and suspension. Any car that weighs more than 2400lb will never be a race car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 6 speed in my Hellcat and while I havent driven the automatic in the Hellcat, I do have an SRT8 Jeep with the 8 speed auto in it. I know the auto in the Hellcat is not identical to that of the Jeep, but I personally would not trade the manual for the auto in the Hellcat. If my life depended on winning races, etc., then yes.. I would get the auto. But from fun perspective, the manual is great! Dont let the pressure of what others are doing force you to change your mind. Look at it like this. What if the auto were slower? Would you consider it then? What if they were identical in performance? For me, it wouldnt matter (in this particular car). I would always get the manual!

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  8. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

^^^^^^THIS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love a manual and have had many, but got the auto and don't regret it a bit - it's an awesome auto, best I've ever driven and you can still play around with it. And no clutch to burn up...

You can't go wrong with either of them and they would both be a blast.

Wish I had one of each, lol!:cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CNYHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's too bad you can't test drive both before you order. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its all personal preference... I've had both... and the A8 in the Cat is impressive... but it also almost $3K more too. Which is a minor detail in a 70K car. Just make the choice based on what you want... you won't be disappointed either way. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CNYHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So true, Hemi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. abcdefg

abcdefg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the m6 was faster, I wouldn't have posted this. I wish it was

14. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How many people have gone from an A8 hellcat to an M6 hellcat....im guessing ZERO. how many of us M6 guys have gone to A8's? At least a handful. I am one of the guys who went from an M6 to an A8 and i don't regret it 1 bit. The m6 is fun. So is the A8. I can tell you hand on the bible, hand over my heart, scouts honor whatever u need me to pledge on haha that the A8 is and definitely quicker. Absolutely 100% always in the power band. The throttle seriously has like 4 positions when you want to speed up. 1/8th throttle for standard passing. 1/4 throttle for a little kick down and quick pass. 1/2 throttle the cat sounds angry and you fly passed the other cars quicker than necessary. 3/4ths you ask yourself did i really need to do that. And full throttle foot to the floor the car is completely pissed. Your body gets thrown back the car slams thru at least 2 gears you look at your speedo and realize your doing 100 in a 40 and slam on the brakes. You slow down to what you think is 40 and then look and see your doing 70. What the hell just happened you quietly ask yourself?!?! Ummm i don't think i should ever floor this thing in town again. Your passenger will be pissed at you for trying to kill them. Then it dawns on you. You have SEVEN HUNDRED AND SEVEN GD horsepower when almost anything on the road is 150-300 hp. You smirk and say hallelujah that was fun. As far as racing goes...don't say you wont because if you do once...you will do twice and thrice. More addictive than heroine. Oh yeah back to the M6 its fast. Its fun. Rowing your own gears is fun but having owned both, this car was meant to be an A8.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you wanted the M6 then you already know the answer.. nothing like rowing gears with a blown Hemi out front.. but hey, maybe selecting D is your thing....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1