Least amt of tread before throwing tires out?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by accely, Feb 16, 2016.

1. accely

accely Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys, wondering at what tread depth is the point in which people swap out the tires for new ones. Lets assume these are just tires for daily street use, normal dry conditions

When do you throw them out? 2/32, 3/32, 4/32?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whats your life worth? If the tires are bald get some more.

3. accely

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, I'll remove the bald option haha. And for the record I am asking what YOU do :)

4. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure opinions will vary....but for my vehicles....3/32 and I'm ordering new tires. Our roads in these parts often have two concave tracks in each lane....from the heavy trucks hauling. Any moisture collects in there and with 3/32 tread.....it's been our experience....we really have an issue with hydroplaning. It's worth it to me to spend money sooner to have safety than try to scrape by for another month or two. IMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will be ordering a new set of Nitto drag radials this summer. Accely get some tires.

6. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you using a set per season?? Just wondering how long they last? I realize it depends on how many passes etc.

7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2/32nds needs replacement

• Like Like x 1
  8. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been called John Force lol. I use to get a couple of years out of a set. I wont be as aggressive this time around. I will only go out on special events with good track prep.

9. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks......Good to know. I'm used to road course driving. With the Cat.....I'm being coaxed in to doing the 1/4, at least for one day. Not sure I'll be investing in a set of DR's or not.

10. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You did specify "dry", with that in mind, as long as you don't have uneven tread wear, right down to the tread bars...

People pay good money to have their tires shaved...

;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We got you covered, Wayne. I bet if we go out in the types of tires we are talking about going to road race on, you will bust 11 sec. Not to mention many of us are lowered with additional tight suspension members in the back. I have a spare set of DR's, Speedman will also, you hang with us and get the urge, I will let you just bolt them up and let it rip. Better watch your DS, Speedman busted his on the street when he nailed it good and proper last summer. You come out on one of those private days at BIR I have a connection on, or Speedman knows about some 1/8 mile local track for Saturday mornings and we will have fun. He is the one who called and made me buy the DS yesterday, so we can play soon. Maybe that should be your first mod before you even drive it!

12. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did not want to jack your thread, dude. I agree 2-3/32 that is it. Or watch the wear indicators also. Some road race tires start at 3/32, but can't have water!

13. accely

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Np at all, i agree with that as well. thanks for the feedback

14. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the offer.....I have one BIR drag date. Brother in law has wanted me to run my Boss against his 2010 supercharged SS Camaro for the past couple of years. Well, now he wants to run against the Cat . Not my strong suite.......but I think he wants payback from the Boss out handling him on both the short course and Donneybrooke. It will be one of the Wednesday deals.....I think May 4th if I recollect.

15. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Could be the first Wednesday night. Those could be the best air nights. I am up there all day Monday, May 2, for the first of four days throughout the season for road course instruction. Sounds like you like those tracks also. I may have to drive back up Wednesday night if it is nice out with the different rears. I am relieved he made me spend next years upgrade money. Since the DS will be installed, I can think about Wednesday nights too.