Let's gain some perspective, shall we?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Blackbeast, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Blackbeast

Blackbeast VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To gain some kind of perspective on our supercharger issues. I thought we should list performance cars of our past (or that we know of) that have mechanical issues. This will hopefully help us to realize ...that this is part of owning a performance car and not owning a camry! :D

I will get us started with my contribution:

-All of these failures cost in the area of 15 to 25k +
    -These were sudden and many unexpected and internal.....Unlike our superchargers which warn us way in advance, and heck may even be normal...

Corvette C6 LS7 engine:
    Valve train issues that led to the engine failure.
    BMW M3 S65 engine: Connecting rod bearing clearance issues led to engine failure.
    Ford Mustang Coyote engine: Cylinder #8 piston failure led to engine failure.
    GTR: Transmission failure.

All of these never had any recalls issued. Their forums are riddled with multiple threads discussing these problems.....:(

I thought I had found a car with zero issues in the Nissan 370z. ....wrong.
    370z clutch slave cylinder: Causes the clutch to get stuck in the down position and is no longer responsive. It is a very very common failure that Nissan never fixed to this day their forums are filled with people concerned about the clutch leaving them stranded. Cost to fix approximately 2,000.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    08 GT500: Defective steel flywheel would warp, causing the clutch to partially engage and subsequently burn up the clutch. Ford remedied the issue by issuing a TSB replacing the steel flywheel with a thicker aluminum one along with a different clutch assembly.

3. alinjack

alinjack Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought an early generation 1991 NSX. They had a problem with the transmissions in the 'snap ring range'... I was lucky I just missed the cars that had that problem. My Cousin wasn't so lucky and had to replace the entire transmission.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CalCpcat

CalCpcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2012 to 2014 Camaro ZL1 and maybe beyond isolator bearing on supercharger problem requiring replacement of supercharger. I had a 2014 Zl1 that I traded in for my 16 PCP Hellcat Challenger. The Camaro only had 2000 miles on it with no problems with s.c yet but I was always worried. It was one of the reasons that made me trade it in other than the fact that I have always owned Mopar muscle cars. The ZL1 was a fun car to drive but the Hellcat is much faster and more practical.

5. HHCO

HHCO Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    had 6 very low mileage corvettes,all leaked or consumed large amounts of oil,had electrical problems or when you filled them up gas ran out on your feet. vipers and challengers gave me zero problems.my hellcat has less than 1000 miles but doubt it will give me problems.any vehicle can have problems but have had less from Chrysler than others

• Like Like x 2
  6. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only catastrophic failure I've ever had on a street car was when my 1998 Neon R/T commuter/parts-chaser/grocery-getter broke its timing belt. The car was only worth a couple of hundred dollars though so..... I somehow found a buyer and sold it. :D

7. toekneethetiger

toekneethetiger BMF Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    1979 K5 Blazer. Damn thing failed to drive in five feet of saltwater at the beach. I let the ocean have it.

My contribution to the environment.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. oilburner

oilburner Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    owner error!...........lack of maintenance. ;)

9. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge SRT4: Damn thing started on fire destroying entire car....this did not effect a huge percentage but when it did...

"Fire in dash

This has been happening to a growing number of people. There is a wiring problem with the multifunction switch in the SRT-4 (and other Dodge vehicles) that controls your head lights. The wiring harness or connector apparently shorts and overheats in certain situations. If you see or smell smoke coming out of your dash, turn off your lights and get out of the car immediately. After everything has calmed down, take your dash off and check the connector for singe marks or melting.

This incident is being investigated by the NHTSA (see here), if you have this problem please report it on the NHTSA web site to ensure they know the problem applies to all years of the car. There is an on-going discussion about the problem."

10. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was a Neon. :) I got my money's worth out of it though, and it served its purpose well beyond what I intended when I bought it. I did replace the belt when I first got it, but by the time it broke 8 years later I was looking for excuses to junk it or otherwise get rid of it. Turns out there are Neon enthusiasts that refer to it as a "competition coupe" (because it was an R/T with the DOHC engine). They even have a web site! I made one post on that web site and a guy was at my house within hours to give me $500 for it and haul it away.... If I had known that I would have sold it before it broke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OhioHC

OhioHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IMS bearing Boxster and 911. Catastrophic engine failure

12. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member HOTM Winner

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like this thread, it does in fact give perspective. Thumbs up!

But in the case of systemic failures, for me it still comes down to poor quality that we shouldn't have to endure and/or should absolutely be covered without having to beg and pray...

You know, that integrity thing...

:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lots of cars have major issues -
    6G Mustangs have horrid driveline vibration problems that Ford can't seem to fix (I lemoned mine after 80+ days in the shop & no repair in sight)

GT350's have a problem with oil line failures, dealers have new cars sitting on their lots they cannot sell till Ford gets a fix out (will be months)

08-10 Nissan/Infiniti products had dashboards that disintegrate & turn to goo in hot climates (mostly after the warranty had expired)

Spend some time on the AMG forums - not a car you want to have in the stable after the warranty has expired

While it's certainly disquieting that a growing number of our cars seem to have supercharges issues, at least FCA seems to be stepping up and replacing them without hassling or stonewalling the owners. Even the few that run into issues with crappy dealers have eventually gotten things sorted out in their favor by SRT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Chevrolet C6 Corvette w/LS3 engine. Known as a rock solid build but own it awhile and you start to find things ....
    1. Wobbling harmonic balancer
    2. Torque tube bearing issues
    3. Electric gremlins causing multiple start problems and battery changes.

Link below discusses the harmonic balancer issue and how they did not take responsibility for the issue which was then fixed miraculously with the C7.
    PeterMJ's Corvette C7 Stingray and Z06 Exposed: Corvette C5 and C6 Harmonic Balancer problems raise serious concerns regarding General Motors solution to growing problems with Corvette C7

15. Blackbeast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    C7 ( new corvette): Allot of problems....complete engine failure is one of them....
    In cabin electrical issues, major engine problems that result in engines freezing up, major overheating issues, and leaky fuel supply.

Our 10k supercharger issue is starting to sound pretty good relative....