Let's talk "Road Force" balancing of wheels and tires....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Driver72, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard this is a "must" and then others have said, "it's a scam to get more money" as they spin balance each wheel and tire and add needed weights to wheels just the same.

I've owned over 3 dozen (maybe closer to 4 dozen) cars in my life. Many of them I've bought aftermarket wheels and tires for. I have never "road force" any of them. Just normal mounting and balancing. I've never had an issue with any of them.

So what's the real deal with this "road force" wheel/tire mounting and balancing?
    Do I really need to spend $300 for this service when I can do regular mounting and balancing for $160?

2. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never heard of this? How is it done?

3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whoa, how funny we posted the same link. LOL
    I was watching it while you posted I believe.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thx Immo! Looks interesting...1200 pounds of force while spin balancing..I suppose it might be more effective for cars driven at high speeds, or for road racing maybe? Not sure if it's any better than a good standard spin balance for a DD car on the street though. Interesting nonetheless.

6. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had it done on my 305 MT DR's, first spin balance and then again with roadforce, difference was to add 6 more grams of weight.

7. Johnny Popcorn

Johnny Popcorn Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd love to get this done. I've had balancing issues before. The solution for my balancing at that time was to counter balance the wheels by weight placement on the inner and outer parts of the wheel. That helped. Back to this road force balancing, my real dilemma is where to get it done? I was lucky to find a place that did dynamic wheel balancing. I even called around to some speed shops. FYI, I'm in the Las Vegas area.
    Good video. Thank you.

8. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I remember some members with HC's saying that there are balance issues right from the factory. My HC has a slight vibration at 72-80mph. First noticed it within the first 500 miles. My service mgr took it out, got it to 80mph on a good road surface and said he didn't notice anything. I will most likely go out with him and try to replicate what I suspect is a balance issue with the front wheels. Is it common for dealers to do road force balancing?

9. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just had mine done with the road force balancer.Price was around $250 to have all four tires off the oem rims and put on new rims and balanced.

10. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well the reason I brought up this question is the shop that did my CQuartz and Xpel also has one of the Hunter road force balancer. But they want $300 for my 4 rims that come in Tuesday or Wednesday and the four tires I have sitting in my garage waiting for it.
    The shop owner claimed $300 was a good price as he said doing the Road Force is a time consuming affair and a bit of a pain in the ass compared to regular mounting and balancing.
    I've noticed this shop is a bit pricier with apparently everything, but they are close and convenient for me.

I just wanted to know whether it was really worth the additional $140-150 to do the set of 4

The idea seems legit but I've had many of my cars that I've put aftermarket wheels and tires on well into triple digit speeds on many occasions, and i've never had vibrations or wobble out of any of them that I can recall.

The other thing I like about the Hunter machine is it apparently never touches the wheel when mounting the tires, so you don't ever have to worry about getting your rim scratched (which I have had before) from one of the regular mounting machines that has that arm that pushes down on the wheel and spins the wheel around while putting the tire on.

Seems like doing the Road Force is going to be the way to go, I was leaning that way before I made this thread, but wanted to see what others thought first.

11. jpg0511

jpg0511 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    rear tires get out of balance quick so this seems useless on them.

12. seandtc

seandtc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A lot of discount tires have a road force machine. Cost to have it done on already mounted wheels and tires is $20 per tire. It is a good tool to use especially for vehicles that can be used at higher speeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For that amount of money it is bunk. RFB should only cost a little more than regular balancing, which at $20 a tire should be right.

However, it does have a lot of advantages and I would get it done every time if I could. Tires do rotate on the rim when fresh, so accelerating or braking hard almost always will spin the tire in the rim slightly, and the RFB eliminates that by a small amount, just like several days of normally driving in the sun should help reduce it.

IIRC do to it spinning against resisitance, it cna determine if a tire is out of round-and should be returned too. Remeber as well, that as tires shed rubber (and weight) they will need to be periodoically rebalanced.

14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

These points are pretty much exactly what another person who mounts and balances tires told me.
    He said that he doesn't see the need to Road Force since as soon as you start driving and turning and so forth the tires start to wear unevenly as well.
    VP, I will be having brand new tires mounted on brand new wheels, so are you saying I should take it easy on accelerating from lower speeds for awhile to allow them to settle in on the rim, and keep the tire from spinning on the rim? If so, how long do you suggest, mileage wise?
    I know tires can spin on the rim if they are really sticky tires like DR's but never knew that they could spin on the rim with street tires when they are fresh.
    I was quoted $300 for all 4 wheels and tires to RFB them, and I think it was like $160 to mount and balance normally.

15. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Road force balancing is the only thing that can balance my tires for some reason. Tried the old fashions method a couple of times but still had the shimmy.

Took it to the chevy dealer that has a RFB machine and the shimmy was gone.

And it only cost me $20 pertire. the guy charging $300 is full of crapo