Letting wife drive the Hellcat...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MandM3, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MandM3

MandM3 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, all. I've been browsing the forum for a short while and I'm fairly certain I'll be pulling the trigger on a Charger HC within the next week or two.

The single outstanding issue I'm facing has to do with my wife and her ability to drive this car. Without getting into the boring details, there will be times we'll have to switch vehicles, and frankly there's just no chance in hell I can trust her driving ability with 700+ HP. Not to mention she'll be hauling a kid around (with plans for #2 imminent).

I've noticed a few posts regarding Valet Mode, although I'm not sure if it's recommended to drive the car for extended periods in this setting. I also thought I noticed something about a reduced horsepower setting (~500HP?), but can't find any solid evidence of that. If anyone has firsthand experience with this issue (ie - a wife that is an overly aggressive yet poorly skilled driver), please chime in.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mo-par!

Mo-par! Bone Stock Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WP_20160611_19_11_38_Pro.jpg You keep redkeys:cool:...she gets the black one and no parking by a curb:eek:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Two things, with traction control in "street" mode, you have to try REALLY hard to break the thing loose...

Valet mode is not viable for daily driving, so that leaves the 500hp option, so this combined with Street Traction and also the fact that you only have the option for an A8, means that if she has any driving skill at all AND some discipline, you'll (she'll) be fine...

If not, all bets are off. Do a search for the first Challenger HC delivered to Colorado... Then try not to think about it...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    P.S. My wife is afraid to drive mine (ours)...

:eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Black key and she'll be fine. My wife thought the car was actually tame with it, and she is by no means a thrill seeking driver. As long as your wife doesn't floor it, even with the black key, this car is extremely easy going for timid drivers to use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would and have had my wife drive my Charger HC. Bear in mind, she has a 2015 Charger SXT Ralley. If you keep your foot out of the gas, the Hellcat drives quite a bit like the Ralley.

She would rather not drive it.
    I would rather her not drive it, especially if she were to take it to park in a public parking lot. But she has managed to not get any door dings or curb rash on the wheels on her Ralley.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dude, seriously? :rolleyes:

The whole premise behind your question is like listening to that painful irritating screech of nails being dragged up and down a chalk board. :confused:

Keep it simple and avoid the problem by thinking outside the box:

1). Wifey + Hellcat = way too great a risk of a major fugly. That combo is unsafe at any speed, in any mode, with any key. :eek:

2). Easiest solution: buy her one of those cute little Dodge Darts in the same color as your Charger HC. Those two cars look the same anyway.

Just say, "Here's a 'mini-me' Hellcat for you, dear," and hand her the key. ;)

3). You can thank me later. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. william

william Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    let her drive it. red key. quickest way to spice up your sex life. and if she wrecks it, well it's the quickest path to divorce. any way you look at it, it's the quickest.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is this a joke? ANYONE can drive a Hellcat. It's a VERY easy car to drive. The Hellcat is a very docile ride unless you don't want it to be.

My wife has no trouble driving ours, nor has anyone I've heard about in real life. There's no learning curve if you tool around in this car.

Robert

• Winner Winner x 8
  10. Hell-Bent

Hell-Bent Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another stupid thread.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Oh Jeez the wife and husband conversation.......dangerous waters LOL. And the outside counseling LOL oh great and this is a tough one. So as an outsider I'll keep it simple HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Sawdust

Sawdust SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wife is looking forward to racing the HC. Heck we are even going to the Bondurant SRT experience together.
    First thing she did was admit she is afraid of the car, it is a big step up from her previous R/T PCP M6. That's the right thing to do, acknowledge the fact it is dangerous in less than experienced hands.
    Just get some training and know your limitations.
    Clint said it best...............

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wife drives my Challenger Hellcat with an automatic all the time with the red key. She also drives a 2015 Charger RT Hemi if you don't pound on the gas pedal the car can be driven like any other car. I'd be more worried the mall parking lots and shopping carts at Walmart or this food store.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, WELCOME to the forum.

Second, like many others have posted here, the Hellcats (I have a Challenger not a Charger) but the day we picked it up, my wife and ten year old daughter drove it home. These cars are very docile with all of the "nannies" left in "Street" mode and on dry pavement. They are not much more slippery to drive on a wet road than any other V8 rear wheel drive car.

If your wife is a bit of an aggressive driver, just spray paint the black key with red paint or transfer the "guts" from a red key into the black key and vice versa and don't tell her. These are powerful cars, but they are also heavy cars and the electronics that help keep the cars in a straight line and shiny side up are very effective.

I wouldn't sweat it to much. If you guys like the Charger Hellcat (what's not to like) then go get one!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ford killa

Ford killa Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wife has her on Hellcat.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1