Lift pucks and dealer service

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Rham, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Rham

Rham Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg Just a quick question for those that have had dealer serviced oil changes. If you have lift pucks do you leave them in when you drop the car off and for those that don't have lift pucks does the tech do anything to act as a lift puck? Just curious before I bring mine in for the first oil change. Thanks in advance.

2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Leave them in? Do they stay in by themselves?
    Id think the dealer would be hesitant to use since its not a regular part they might have experience using and would be afraid of the liability of using something like that to support the car when they are underneath it

3. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've had dealer technicians and indepedent shop technicians that have ranged from being obsessively careful, to jealously abusive to vehicles when they've put them on lifts. It simply depends upon the individual. I've seen the self-proclaimed "best tech in the shop" crush rocker panels occasionally and at the very least, mangle the bottom lip of the rocker panel along the spot welds. The same guy often scratches and dings doors on new cars coming in for prep when he opens the door against the lift post to squeeze his belly out. He has stated, "Yeah, maybe, but I turn more hours than anybody else in the shop. Besides, those marks are my signature!" I'm friends with another technician in the shop who treats my vehicles with great care. I drop vehicles off (directly to him), or he stops by and picks them up on his way to work and I take his truck to drive. He gets the work order written up and is extremely careful with my vehicles. It doesn't matter if its my old plow truck, or daily driver Caravan. He's the sort of guy that if he saw your wife or girlfriend naked, carrying a bushel basket of crumpled $100 bills, he'd go get her a blanket to cover up with and then help her count and flatten the money. I guess it all comes down to the individual technician. I hope you get a good one.

4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With the dealer i bought it from

1) Curbed a rim
    2) gave me back my car completely filthy with obvious rag marks of them just dusting it off

With the dealer i brought it for it's first oil change

1) Made sure not to crush rocker panels
    2) careful opening doors in-between the lift posts
    2) gave it back to me exactly how i handed it to them

Summary: It comes down to the techs/service department in general

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you find a good tech, my advice is, TIP WELL! Let them know you appreciate the extra effort. If it's your first visit to that service department, maybe fold $20 bill (or more) in your hand and shake hands with the tech while you ask him to be very careful with your car as he puts it on the lift. After all, the techs are just like all other people in general, some are terrific and work hard to do right by others, while some are quite a distance from that standard.

6. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I call bullshit on this. I've been having multiple cars serviced at multiple dealerships for over 20 years, and I've never met a tech who worked on any of my cars. They won't even let you into the shop, at any dealer I know, due to insurance constraints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call it what you like. Ironically, I'm at the dealership I use for service right now getting my 2010 SRT8 dolled up to sell. I've been right here with the detailer for an hour or more. I always take care of these guys. They work hard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    While I don't wait with my car when it's being worked on, they do let me go back there and talk to the tech or grab some stuff

9. Danny123

Danny123 SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I had my first oil change the tech came and got me to show me the underside of the car while it was on the lift, he also showed me a Viper that was in the other bay getting a new motor cause the guy did such a crazy burn out that he broke 2 connecting rods and had 2 holes in the block, yes tip the well!

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Customer in the shop policy varies from dealer to dealer. I don't even take my cars thru writeup. I just pull up to the back door and it opens automatically and I park the car at the tech's station. I even get under the car with him sometimes to help. It is all in how you treat people and of course the dealer's attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Dunno where you live, but around here most dealers are large companies with numerous brands. They run their businesses like any big company, vigilant to avoid insurance claims for a customer tripping over an air hose in the shop, etc. Wayne's situation is unique, he's good friends with a technician in the shop.

I've been in many non-dealer private shops, but around here, most dealerships have a strict "no customers in the shop" policy. The only face time I get is with service managers, which isn't a usually problem, since they're generally very good at their job. In other words, I'm not complaining, just stating that greasing the palm of a technician (as suggested above) is something that might be difficult to arrange.

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most of the dealerships here are locally owned including mine. I have always been able to go into the service areas of every dealer I have bought from except for a Chevorlet dealer years ago (I have been driving for 44 years). They all have signs "no customers in service area" but it comes down to getting to know them. Small tips, donuts or biscuits in the morning or a $10 gift card around Christmas makes them look forward to seeing you. May not work as well with national chain dealerships but they usually have local people running the dealership.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yup! me too! I just ignore the signs. I cant remember the last time I was told to get out of the bay area but it was long ago

14. rags

rags Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is where putting a location in your profile will help tell the story. I'm with 16SRT. No way the dealers around here are letting you in the shop.

15. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess different dealers have different rules for their shops. Now that I think about it, when I was in a few months ago for some service on my daily driver Caravan, one of the owners walked through the shop, came over and said hello and asked me to wear safety glasses when I was under the car. He said something like "I don't want you ending up owning this place!" He said it with a smile, though. Putting myself in their shoes, I don't know as I'd want customers hanging around the shop either.