List of the stupid things you've heard calling Dodge dealers.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Galt, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So I've called about 450 of the 2300 Dodge dealers in America and just when you think you've heard it all somebody tops it.

I had one sales lady ask what a Hellcat was. "Is that like a Hemi?"

I talked to one guy who had a Hellcat in. I asked what options it had and he said "well, it has power seats and windows" I stopped him and said "no I get that, I meant optional items" and he replied "you mean horsepower?"

Dealer in SC had a silver Charger in transit. I asked "what options" he replied "I only know for sure it's a stick". "You said it was a Charger. The 4 door?" "Yep, six speed." Sigh. "Could you check and see what it has specifically, like colors and whatnot?". "I can but it's sold". "But you just told me it was for sale". "Yeah, the owner bought it".

The overwhelming response I got was that they only got one and the guy who owned the dealership bought it, his brother bought it or one of his buddies bought it. I have no earthly idea why anyone would share that information. I heard 'it's not for sale' quite a few times (I guess they're using them as a draw).

I finally found one that was near enough what I'd order, in transit a few days out. Went through the whole options list with the salesman. This is the car. I did it. The search is over. "But I can't sell it to you until it gets here". Deposit? "We don't take deposits over the phone" But I'm a thousand miles away. "I'm sorry but our manager sets the policy and that policy is first come, first served". I will wire you the full amount, right now. "If you want to be here when it gets in, I'd be happy to sell it to you". When does it come in? "We won't know until the truck gets here. It's usually a surprise".

Found another near perfect options car about 800 miles away. Talking to the sales guy and he said the car was for sale but not for a week after it arrived. The conversation was rather laborious but what it boiled down to was the dealer wanted it for a week for himself. Didn't want to buy it, just wanted to enjoy a customers car on their dime. I was curious what they planned to sell it for "well, when it becomes available there will be a market adjustment." What kind of mark up are we talking about? "When it comes in we'll decide what's fair to us and the customer but I can tell you it will be significant." When you say 'significant' we talking 5k? He actually laughed. "Oh no. WAY more than that."

This was just a small sample of the ridiculous nonsense I waded through. My other pet peeves were being told they stopped making them, being told that if I came in I could place an order, being told 'I think so' - people preferred to guess rather than check. $70k car - 'I think it has a sunroof'. How about 'I don't know, I'll check?' But the biggest butt burner of them all was that every single salesman felt compelled to tell me their version of the Hellcat saga. Dude, I have internet access. We're good. Also kind of bummed that nearly every dealer I called - I knew more about it than they did. Isn't this what you do for a living? Have you no interest? When a customer knows more about your product than you do, you should be doing something else.

How about you guys? You go through any of this or was it just me?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Oh, one other annoyance - when you give them your info you end up in a 'leads' file. I've gotten at least 40 calls from random sales people all over the country; "hi this is Susan from Wymer Dodge. I see here that you were in the market for a vehicle back in January. Did you ever find what you were looking for?' Ugh. Now I won't give them my information anymore. I've had several dealerships refuse to help me until I gave them a call back number. If you're just starting your search get a burner phone. I wish I had. Gonna have to change my number this keeps up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "I don't have any Hellcats, but I've got a few nice RTs that are really close to their performance level..."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Doug Redd

Doug Redd Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    "We don't have any 2015 Charger Hellcats but the 2014's are the same" o_O

5. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Why a Hellcat?"

"We're only knocking it down to $10k over MSRP because we really want to earn your business."

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Colorado Hellcat

Colorado Hellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    out of the 20 or so most were pretty nice & strait to the point of the markup & whether it was sold already or not. Actually there were 3 guys that were great to talk to.

The worst was right here in Denver. There's a certain retired football QB here that's been in the car business for quite awhile. The lady was nice that called me back.

She said. " OH sorry, that car is for Mr. (insert name here #7). But when can you come in. We'd love to show you what other cars we have."

Me =" No, sorry. Only only interested in a Hellcat."

Her= " Well come in & let us know exactly what you want & we can find one for you!)

me= LOL no, I don't think so. If I can't find one after calling 25 dealerships in the last two days you can't" .

Her+ "Oh but I'm sure we can locate what want" Just come in & let us try! "

Geezz, they don't take no for an answer. She just wanted to get me there & try and sell me something else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Greg

Greg Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "I think we have the Hellcat. When would you like to come in and test drive one?"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HellDoc

HellDoc The Doctor is IN!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "We already have an offer at $10k over but if you're will to pay $5k over MSRP we'll start the paperwork."

Ummm, what?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Oh this thread should be good - subscribed.

10. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

:) I got that one as well...really, you think you have a Hellcat? Could you go check before I make the trip?

11. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That comment about not knowing when the hellcat comes in and that it's usually a surprise is actually true. They often have little control on when the truck picks it up from the railyard, and they are often delivered in the middle of the night so when they arrive to open the dealer in the morning, they see a shiny new hellcat sitting in the back

12. rickydl

rickydl Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have my Hellcat yet? Ya, we do and it has the Scat Pack package too.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ugh....
    This is why I deal with BF (an I am sure Roanoke is similar). People who hate on BF don't get it. You NEVER have to deal with that crap. Sure, there are dealers out there who are not inept but by and large I cant stomach the dealer experience. With BF its MSRP no matter what happens... Knows his stuff... treats you like a friend.

Reminds me of when I went to buy my used Durango at a local dodge dealer and all the salesman did was go on and on about his Mitsubishi EVO and how (this was in Aug) the hellcat wasn't going to be made because they were having "problems" with it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Similar experience to you early on.

There is an app callled burner that is great for this purpose. Alternatively get a Google voice number that you can dispose of.

15. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok Ok, I have bin dealing with a local Dodge Dealer in my area (Chester Co. Pa.) for about 12 years. Here is how I made this happen. First, I called the sales manager direct, told him I was thinking of a Hellcat, Next I told him I wanted to talk with his best sales person who did in fact sell and deliver to his custmer a Hellcat at that dealership. This narrows the playing field down to 2 salesmen, one was on vac. the other one was off on this day but would be in 9:00 am next day. I made the app. with the sales manager then and there for 10:30 the next day. Everything went smooth gave him a check for $5,000 the best part, under msrp, Got my VON two weeks later now looking (wishing and hopeing) for VIn. So, the way I'm thinking it is possible to cut off the B.S. just deal with a Dodge dealer who has bin dare done dat.