Looking for input on summer tires vs. all season

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by cat-a-pult, Mar 13, 2016.

1. cat-a-pult

cat-a-pult Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi all - I'm wondering whether to get the summer tires or go with the all-seasons. I live in a northern state so will not be driving the car over the winter. I'd like some info on the tread life of each tire, pros and cons and approx. cost of a set based on your experience. During our spring and fall, we sometimes have beautiful sunny days that are perfect for driving, but may be on the colder side - 30s and 40s. I have heard that the summer tires are not safe when things get cold but of course I don't know exactly how 'cold' that is supposed to be. Would welcome all your insights! Thanks!

2. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am running the all season tires since my car is my daily driver... the TC system is excellent and I wouldn't discourage you from the all seasons.

I don't have any experience with the summer tires and wonder if I could get away with using those as well.

3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it was me... I would go with the all season especially if you plan on running the car when it's cold out. I would then buy DR's with spare wheels for when I wanted to get down the 1320 in a hurry. All seasons will have a higher tread wear rating than the summer tires but gives away some traction department. It really depends on what you want to do with the car... but based on what you said you'd be happier with the all seasons IMHO. I'd go to Tire Rack as they generally have good writes ups on the tires and you can price shop ;)

4. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All Season here. Another daily driver. If I take it to the track, I'd buy drag radials anyway... so, it didn't make any sense to spend the extra money on the summer tires option.

5. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The summer tires are a softer compound with great traction and a much shorter thread life than the all season. Probably 12 to 15,000 miles is all you would probably get from them and that's assuming you keep your foot out of it.

6. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the summer tires on my challenger. Over 60F there pretty good, the colder it gets the worse they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2016BADCAT

2016BADCAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run both all season and summer tires, here in East Tennessee the winters are not so bad so I use the all seasons during the winter months, I do this on all my cars.
    All seasons are a compromise, and do not stand a patch to summer tires for grip and stopping power, but they are only better once the temperature gets above 50 degrees.
    Anything bellow 40 is not recommended and I agree.
    PS, just switched back to my summer tires this weekend

8. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All seasons are good at everything and great at nothing. If you dont plan on driving in the winter, I would go with summer for maximum grip while you do drive it.

Warson

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have both the factory summer and all seasons. The all season don't compare favorably to summer tires in warm weather. Just the opposite is true when the temp drops below about 50F.

10. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All-Seasons here, Lower NYC Area. When there is no snow and cold out the all-seasons still preform. The summer tires are useless below 40F

11. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    20151017_133701.jpg 20151017_150521.jpg 20151017_133701.jpg 20151017_150521.jpg I picked the car up Day 1 in a snow Squall, with summer P zeros. Drove first 300 mi below 40F. In breakin mode, going easy: never felt once like I was out of control.

Drove it a few miles with temps above 60F, bit for most part it was Fall time and below recommended air temps so I behaved myself. ...having said that I still broke 2300 miles in 2 weeks of driving and hit a top speed of 135....in a straight line. ...

I like the summer tires, lookin forward to the grip they give during summer months. Some nitty DR'S are in my future after these go away.

12. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have summer tires and I like them but IMO they are worthless (dangerous) below 40 degrees. If you plan on doing an regular driving in cooler temps I'd go all season

13. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For the OP question, I'd go summer tires. I drove mine in December before the snow in Ohio this year with mornings in the 30's and 40's. No problems at all for daily driver use at those temps. I was obviously taking it easy.

Also, I completely disagree that the P zero will only deliver 12-15k miles. IF they are rotated and not abused, I think you can see 20-25k miles before they are done.

If you are one of those people who only put a few miles on per year, keep in mind also that the Z rated tires will harden fairly quickly with age.

14. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most people on this forum have been saying 12-15K for summer tires is what they have been getting.

15. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm at 8800 miles, 8/32 right now on all seasons lol