SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Looks like Bwoody has a new secret weapon coming!!!!

14K views 117 replies 37 participants last post by  Blue Suede Goo 
#1 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Marketing peak numbers is always fun. It convinces buyers to buy something yet leads us down the road of debate and independent testing.

Then we try to decipher fact vs. marketing because independent test conditions were not standardized; particularly coolant temp, oil temp, and intake temp which never get reported in dynos posted everywhere.

Even in Sizzles video (still appreciate his time and effort), the above temperatures weren't within SAE J1349 testing standards.

If you're planning to test an intake on the Hellcat, these are the things to consider when making the dyno run:
[1]. Engine oil to operating temperature; normal op temp is 180+ deg F(SRT gauge screen 1)
[2]. Coolant Temp between 165.6 and 240.4 deg F; ideally same coolant temp when conducting a comparison (SRT gauge screen 1)
[3]. Same gear; 4th for manual; 5th for auto (6th 1:1 runs the dyno too high)
[4]. Same Intake Air Temperature start readout when going WOT on the dyno run (SRT gauge screen 2)
[5]. Same Intercooler Temperature start readout when going WOT on the dyno run (SRT gauge screen 2)
[6]. Obtain Ambient, Dew Point, Baro Pressure and Elevation Data to determine Air Density (find a air density calculator to make this easier)
[7]. Compare Air Density with J1349 standard (1.1684 kg/m^3 air density; 29.53 inHg - 100 kPa; 77 deg F)
[8]. Apply correction factor (calculated by the dyno software).
[9]. Compare the entire results; not just peak numbers.

We see dyno results with weather data yet assume the engine is breathing in the same temperature air because ambient is posted vs. knowing the charged air entering the engine is comparably the same (this is where step 3 becomes important on the Hellcat). This is a big reason why numbers get skewed.

#20 ·
Rayazoo testing on this particular part was purposely heat soaked to try and simulate hot laps at the track, please add this to your graph.

Marketing peak numbers is always fun - it's what convinces buyers to buy something yet leads us down the road of debate and independent testing.

Then we try to decipher fact vs. marketing because independent test conditions weren't standardized; particularly coolant temp, oil temp, and intake temp which never get reported in dynos.

Even in sizzles video (still appreciate his time and effort), the above temperatures weren't within SAE J1349 testing standards.

If you're planning to test an intake, these are the things to consider when making the dyno run:
[1]. Engine oil to operating temperature 200-210 deg F (SRT gauge screen 1)
[2]. Coolant Temp between 197.6 and 208.4 deg F (SRT gauge screen 1)
[3]. Same Intake Air Temperature start readout when making the dyno run (SRT gauge screen 2)
[4]. Same Intercooler Temperature start readout when making the dyno run (SRT gauge screen 2)
[5]. Same gear; 4th for manual; 5th for auto (6th 1:1 runs the dyno to high)
[6]. Apply SAE dyno correction factor to obtain SAE standard (1.1684 kg/m^3 air density; 29.53 inHg; 77 deg F)
[7]. Compare the entire results; not just peak number results.

We always see the results dynos with weather data yet assume the engine is breathing in the same temperature air because ambient is posted vs actual air entering the engine. This is a big reason why numbers get skewed.

#22 ·
No not a puzzle, just a part we've been working on for the past few month's, it will be an accessory for the BWoody intake, trying to get all of my vendors in line for this part before the frenzy starts. At this time I would never be able to keep up even if only 10% of our intake customers wanted immediately. Plus I'm doing my absolute best to keep the price down on it.

#24 ·
You are gonna kill people...Demon like suspense. I like it haha

How many guys already "on the list at the dealer for MSRP" for a not yet announced product? lol

#35 ·
Wait ....how are your eyes from "staying tuned " a ltitle dry ? Lol .....I know better while waiting for the new season episode I just changed the channel.
I'm thankful to see those posting up the Drag times of fun.
Linda :)

Reactions: NavVet
#28 · (Edited)
I'm in for more details. Would like to test one at the track for Mike.:D
I hope you do and we will look forward to seeing you post up "The Truth From The Track".

Top Cat always told the Good and Bad, I know you will too.

I've posted before R&D can be a game changer for a product.

Nice to see,

Linda:)

Reactions: TallCool1
#31 ·
Maybe Sam can get us a print out of the entire run??

#33 ·
time stamp at 2:12 on the dyno video, numbers and graph at 2:43 in video, I hit Sam up on facebook he said he would get a print out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.