Loud SC Whine: Trans set to Sports

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MuscleGarageLA, May 22, 2016.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lately, I have been going back and forth b/w the sports and track (trans) in my custom setup since I wanted to establish which mode really wakes the SC up and makes it scream.

I went for a long drive earlier today, on the Pacific coast highway and drove from Malibu to Oceanside(en route to San Diego), which took over 3 hours while negotiating the wild weekend frenzy/traffic. I got a good excuse to further experiment with the settings and finally came to the conclusion that it is indeed the Sports trans which actually accentuates the whine and makes it sound louder, crisp and more pronounced.

No doubt the shifting is aggressive and insane in Track and the Exhaust sounds significantly louder however I have never been satisfied with the SC Whine when the trans is set on track. I confess i had rarely used the Sport setting as far as transmission is concerned in my custom set up. Transmission was always set to track and the rest street.

I was even contemplating installing a CAI like bwoody for the sole purpose of trying to exaggerate the SC whine. However my experiences with the Trans set on Sport has been quite positive and frankly speaking, quite a revelation.

Therefore to sum it up

Track trans:
    Loudest sounding Exhaust notes and most aggressive shifting. Good SC notes but not as loud compared to sports(but definitely better than street).

Sports trans:
    Loudest and crisp SC whine. Shifting more aggressive when compared to street but not as aggressive as Track. If you want the loud SC whine then this is the transmission you need to select under custom set up or choose full sports mode.

Have you guys noticed the same with the trans set to sports? Let me know what you guys feel. I would really appreciate feedback. Cheers and drive safe..!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never noticed but then again I wasn't looking for it. Not sure how sport or any mode can make the SC louder?? I'll try tomorrow

3. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why would the SC whine change if the engine in both modes is cranking out 707? I think you're hearing things.

4. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you want to hear the SC whine, bolt on a BWoody intake. That makes it scream!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is no way to quantify my observations. I wish there was. That's why I wanted folks to give their personal feedbacks. Have you noticed a difference in both the modes? Maybe I'm hearing things. Lol

6. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have seriously considered that, like I mentioned in my OP, for the sound quotient only. I am not interested in any performance enhancements. I only want a ridiculously sounding whine. I just felt the transmission in sport, made the sc louder than when it was in track mode.

I usually have the trans on track mode in my custom set up and never really changed it. I know the exhaust sounds wild, however I was pleasantly surprised when I switched over to sports and noticed a considerable difference in the SC whine with minimal pressure on the throttle.

7. SoCcal Dragger

SoCcal Dragger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since you are usually in track mode, maybe when you go to sport it is merely attenuating the exhaust to a sound level that allows the SC whine to be heard?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nothing is mechanically changing. The difference is your shift points in sport mode makes your exhaust "quieter" because your rpms are lower when it shifts, which in turn allows u to hear some more whine from the supercharger. Even in sport mode tho I wouldn't mind a little more whine. I've been considering the Bwoody intake myself

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Boost ramp could be different in each mode and likely is, which would affect sc sound.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is interesting, I am going on a drive up to Ojai Hwy 33 today, I heard from a Dodge salesman who also happens to track his car that this is a beautiful road to drive and play on. Much safer than "The Snake" since the CHP are heavily enforcing that area again. I will play with these settings to experiment on their effect on the sonic results.

I am curious as to how supercharger whine would be affected as I didn't think boost was controlled by anything on the performance pages. My understanding is that boost is controlled by throttle opening, vacuum and engine RPM's so it will be interesting to see how the different settings affect the SC. Unless our superchargers have a sort of variable "transmission" I don't see how a direct drive supercharger can be controlled electronically unless the bypass valve is controlled by the performance pages. But I am here to learn and am all ears. I am eager to test different performance settings as to how they affect SC whine.

Procharger does have a programmable supercharger with a variable rate transmission in line with the drive mechanism. Clearly, here is one application where settings could alter output and sound.

11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Boost valve closure is adjustable, like the throttle body, both affect what you hear. And the Hellcats tune file controls how fast boost ramps in.

12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok did my own sound test today. I heard no difference in SC whine in all the modes. I'm thinking maybe what you are hearing is the tranny holding gears longer giving the perception of louder whine?

One thing I did accomplish is now my girlfriend officially thinks I'm crazy. She is amazed of how much time we Hellcat guys have on our hands

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You might have hit the nail on the head. I don't know the exact terminology to deploy, but this is exactly what i was thinking. The exhaust sounds so loud when the trans is set to track, that it probably drowns the whine.

Just think about the mid muffler delete example. Folks have been saying that the exhaust goes nuts but you cannot hear the whine. Some have even installed the CAI to tickle the supercharger...hahaha.

In street mode(trans set to street) you have to literally mash the throttle to hear the whine. Not a very smart option if you are driving through streets or residential areas. I feel sports is a the sweet spot for the supercharger whine. You get the perfect medium. Bold exhaust and loud whine.

I want folks to try this for themselves and see if their observations replicates mine. Feedback is always sincerely appreciated.