M6 Hellcat Clutch Thread

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Stealthv8, May 7, 2016.

1. Stealthv8

Stealthv8 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Figured I'd start a thread for clutch related questions. Tried searching but didn't find a true thread on questions based on it if there is one I apologize and someone send me the link please.

So after 1500 miles I'm noticing a sound kinda like a chirp or a zing after releasing the clutch in 1st. More when releasing clutch into 1st then depressing and releasing to 2nd. It only does it in the morning when I leave to work getting out of the driveway. After I turn down the road the sound is completely gone. Same thing when I leave for work. Car doesn't move when I get to work will sit there for 8 hours till I go back home. Call me crazy I know haha but I notice it. Is this caused by a bad throw out bearing? Pressure plate? Or is this considered normal? No problem shifting and or anything performance wise that I noticed. Car was broken in nicely till 1000 miles. Never smelled the clutch burning or anything. I launched the car one time with traction by accident which made it jitter from traction catching and one burnout with traction completely off that lasted probably 5 secs so the clutch hasn't been beat up. Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hemiguy

hemiguy Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've driven mine pretty much the same as you and only have 2300 miles on but no sounds like your explaining

3. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's possible that you hear the sound while first coming out the driveway due to the close proximity of things (walls, house, fence etc) that are near the car & the sound is pronounced. Then don't hear it when on the open road since there's less chance that things are close to you. Then hear it again when leaving work, for reasons mentioned when leaving your house. Just a theory. In other words - maybe its always there - but maybe not.

My M6 doesn't make any funny/odd noises.

4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    M6 here with 403 miles. No issues but I am watching now

5. canaan

canaan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    M6 17,000 miles only thing I worry about the day I got the clutch bit around mid pedal but soon after it bit at the top

6. Stealthv8

Stealthv8 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I honestly think your right and I'm just hearing things. Just wanted to make sure if anyone had heard something like that before and maybe that I wasn't losing my mind haha

7. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Who would like an Aftermarket Hellcat Clutch Sticky thread?
    I tried to get a thread going a while back to, but theres not enough information, heck not enough cars with this clutch, some of them are doing fine, others are getting them replaced almost right away after they smoke,
    mine is holding together still, it makes a squeeling noise when heavily taking off in first, I've expected it to go out completely for the last 1000 miles or so, I have 3400 now.
    the two options for aftermarket seem to be McLeod and Bad Boyz garage,
    with the BBG clutch taking the lead for obvious quality and build type.
    I'll tell you I think the high 3.70 rear and high 2.20 first gear in the trans with a 28.6" tire is the culprit combined with massive torque and the heaviest car on the street. My buddy had a 1972 four door Mercury Marquis with a 460 and that was 19' long and almost 8' wide and it literally weighs the same as a hellcat.
    Your clutch is most certainly facing the same fate as the rest of the M6 cars. Plan on upgrading, and promote the aftermarket getting us some lower rear gears in a stock carrier/housing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just swapped my stocker out with 1000 miles, looks like new yet and I wasn't easy on it. Never had any sticky tires on though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    what did you get?

10. moparmangamble

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BBG triple disc with HRB and bellhousing. Only drove it a few miles, it is incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wow nice. congrats. that is a heavy duty clutch. i have the BBG dual. do you feel a lof of difference in pedal pressure from stock now? mine is about the same as stock. it feels different. the pedal is almost all the way out before she starts to roll now instead of half way out before with stock. i am still breaking it in so i have not been hard on it yet. are you going to take your cat to the track?

• Like Like x 1
  12. moparmangamble

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, it's like an old muscle car clutch compared to the effortless stock pedal. I like it and the engagement point. Basically it's engaged or disengaged. Leaving the stoplight is like leaving a nascar pit, not smoking the tires but higher rpm and real quick load transition. I drove mine 3 times with stock clutch at new power level, close to 900 rwhp. Now it's crazy because you can feel all the power going to the wheels. It's a monster! You don't realize that slippage is going on, but it is. Can't wait to hit the 1320, waiting on 2 rims.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SrtHellcat

SrtHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No issues yet an I got lil over 3600

• Like Like x 1
  14. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    how do you like the dual? if mine goes I was considering it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    love it.. its heavy duty and well built and feels very close to stock.. i will let you know more once it is broken in and i take it over to the track.