M6 racers, there is hope...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by StellasHC, May 13, 2015.

1. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was finally able to get my M6 car to the track tonight. I am running Mickey Thompson 305 drag radials @ 20psi on stock rims, otherwise car is stock. I made/attempted 5 runs, 4 of which had to be aborted due to SEVERE wheel hop. Any wheelspin whatsoever resulted in wheelhop, so I immediately got out of it. Those were my first 4 runs.... I was trying to slip the clutch, and apply throttle, but as soon as a hint of spin came, it bouncey bounce...

So, I started thinking of the time I tried using the launch control on the street... It really didnt spin, but it did bog pretty bad, but no wheelhop... So, I set the launch control at 3500 rpm and gave it a shot... Yup, big time bog, but NO wheelspin which meant no wheelhop. Clean shifts, although NOT powershifting, made for a pretty decent run, considering the poor 60' time of 1.97..... But here is what makes me optimistic that these M6 cars can run MUCH better than people giving them credit for...that 126+ MPH.... and that isnt a MPH skewed by wheelspin... There is a lot of potential in these M6 cars, with MPH right up there with the A8s... I think with good track prep, and a skilled driver these M6 cars can run right up there with the best of them. That being said...

I will not make 1 more pass on the 20" drag radials. Wheelhop WILL break parts, and on the track, that is all these 20" DRs get you with a M6 ( but, for some reason, are GREAT on the street). I will invest in a set of 17" wheels and 28" slick type tires for my next time out. I think that is going to be key for a killer ET out of the M6, considering the MPH is right there.

On a lighter note... My diff that was howling so bad at 50 mph, to the point of me wanting to bring it to the dealer, is now almost whisper quiet after all the wheelhopping action from tonight...go figure..LOL

Timeslip.... image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck finding 17's w/o custom build AKA big bux. Did you have to shift to 4th? If so try taller tires maybe 29.5's. I have 18's on order for my A8's rear.

3. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

17s are $140 each. Yes, I did shift to 4th. That wasnt the issue. The ET is all in the first 60'.

4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Who's 17 inchers? I know the 60 ft but once you get 1.60 you'll need to avoid 4th gear shift IMHO

5. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Mustang Cobra wheels fit just fine. Bolt pattern is .7mm off on the 5 bolt spread, which bothers some, but guys faster than us have been running them since the Challenger came out. I had them on my last Challenger without issue.

I dont think the 3-4 shift is an issue. With a 126 trap speed, it needed the shift way before the traps. If it was just 200ft out or so, I would agree, but going to a taller tire will hurt ET even worse with the super long first gear. I think the car will go bottom 11s stock with an effective launch. The MPH is there.

6. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well when you learn the car manual I mean you only use clutch first gear after you can mesh wit out clutch and will be smoother then u assume

7. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, thats not happening...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    StellasHC, Have you done anything to the trailing arms or rear suspension in general? Someone here replaced the rear trailing arms to beefier units from Speedlogix and claimed the hop went away. Not sure if they were running DR's. Shag

9. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WOW, That's a very respectable run. Especially since it really was only one single run without any practice (not counting the wheel hop runs that were aborted for good reason).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you considered HopNot? It's supposed to knock out wheel hop on challengers big time.

Great ET and Mph! I do feel there is hope now thx to you. :)

11. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock everything on mine. I tried doing those trailing arms on my old 600rwhp 6 speed SS. Works on the street, but still hopped at the track. I think the money is better spent on a set of correct race only wheels/tires.

12. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  13. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Ive seen the HopNot kits. IMHO I think it would transfer too much road noise into the car, which I dont want. If you can get the M6 to dead hook, you wont have to worry about the wheelhop. shocking the 20s so hard at track is where the spin and hop is coming from. I think the extra sidewall of 17s will take care of that...

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is it about the A8 that lets the 20s perform just fine at the track? Is there a way to launch the M6 in a similar manner? Practice?

• Like Like x 1
  15. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A8s are seeing it too, just to a lesser degree. You can foot brake an A8 and put tension on the driveline.. The M6 you shock the tires too hard on launch. You can slip the clutch and ease it out, but as soon as you lose traction, it wheelhops, not to mention your ET will suffer.

• Like Like x 1