Making some stripe templates...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by 1FSTCAT, Jan 10, 2016.

1. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been wanting rally stripes for my Hellcat for a long time and I either saw cheap precut kits or have to rely on someone else. It's crazy expense in NOVA to get something done, especially in a timely fashion. I'm just too impatient and hate when folks don't return calls or emails.

So I'll be working on a stripe template over the coming weeks. I could just cut two stripes and lay down the cutting tape under the vinyl and be done. I really took this on as a project since I used to do this (30 years ago) when I was striping and tinting windows. The industry has changed a ton in 30 years and the colors and quality of vinyl film is tremendous. I still have about 600 yards of 3M outdoor/sign vinyl I'm using it to cut templates from to ensure a perfect fit (less the tuck and trim stuff under the hood). Amazingly the vinyl is perfect and the plotter I have is working without a hitch.

I have purchased a dark granite/charcoal metallic as my final color, but I'm saving that for the final runs after I test fit the hood. I will trim the outer stripe in a dark orange or red, I haven't decided, but that can come after I install the center two stripes. Most of the stripes for the car is actually straight forward, the hood and lower rear bumper are probably the most challenging.

Anyways, just a winter project as I stare at the new Hellcat sitting in the garage.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why not just buy a SRT stripe kit from Dodge

3. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Because it's over $1200 from FCA and 10 yards of premium vinyl delivered to my door is just $72 :) You can only get the stripe from FCA in silver, black, and I guess carbon now. I suspect the carbon version will exceed $1200. I can pick any color, have a ton of spare vinyl to work with, and if I decide I want to change it up, I just cut another set.

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i bought my side stripe kit on line for like $250 i believe...top quality....

just seems easier to buy a kit from someone than do it yourself....but then installing it is something id never consider also.....im guessing you have the skills otherwise you wouldnt even consider it

doubt anyone here will have a template for you...almost none will be car stripers

another thing to consider----you paid $65k + for a car and your worried about $1,000 extra for a striping kit?

thats how i would look at it....id want my stripes to be 100% perfect on a $65k car.....not look like crap on a $65k car (and im not saying your going to do a crap job---i dont know you)

5. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can promise you the quality of the vinyl going on my car is top shelf and I know what I'm doing. A lot of kits are good vinyl, not great. There are also a lot of shops that use wrap material to make stripes...it's good, certainly for most, but there are many variations in vinyl grades and how long they last. When you get into metallics, you really need to pay attention (no pun intended) because the life span differences are significant.

The factory kits (at least last year) were 3M, very good stuff, but certainly not top of line.

I've already completed the template (see the photo) and it's good forever at this point.

Suffice to say, if you had the ability to cut your own decals or stripes, you would see how quickly it pays for itself.

I did my truck back in 2013 to match my previous SRT. It was $60 and my time...

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where did you buy the vinyl?

7. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  8. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, 1FSTCAT i'll get some and practice on my truck first. I like the option to change the vinyls and endless options.

9. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Terrible photo as the vinyl is graphite metallic (it's dark), but the flash reflection makes it look silver. Hardest part is done, I'll do the remaining ones after work each night.

Attached Files:

10. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 2 unused sets here, so if you need help let me know

11. Chrissytina

Chrissytina Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    How do you get your template into the cutting program? Im working on some vinyls for my doors but I dont want to cut it by hand for the final decal. I cant cut straight so I want to cut it on my machine.

12. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All vinyl plotters have software programs. You take an image and covert to vector graphic or make it from scratch.