Manual (M6) shifter upgrade? Skip shift? Do you like your M6?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by soundman5000, Jul 18, 2015.

1. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After owning the Challenger M6 just a few weeks I have some thoughts on the transmission and some questions...

I have decided I hate the skip shift! I never had a car with this...What gives? I did actually review the owner's manual tonight and now that I know what exactly what that skip shift is doing I may be able to live with it but the "surprise" you can't go into 2nd has been a bit troubling.
    From the Owner's manual
    1–4 Skip Shift

There are times when you must shift the transmission directly from first gear to fourth gear instead of from first gear to second gear. This is to help you get the best possible fuel economy from your vehicle. This occurs when the engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F

(41°C), vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) but less than 21 mph (34 km/h), and the transmission is in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1⁄4 throttle or less.

After you shift the transmission to fourth gear, you can press the clutch in and shift to another forward gear.

I know the skip shift has something to do with gas mileage but who decides to put these in cars and why? Why did my 2014 Subaru WRX not have this? Why does the Hellcat have it? Is it required by the EPA or something?

My Hellcats shifter does not feel as good as my WRX did. I know apples and oranges but still. I know my wrx had a factory optional short throw shifter and I must say felt nice.
    The best way I can describe my M5 is soft, loose, clunky, not precision. Its nice and very easy to shift and drive but Im looking for a better, tighter, I can tell what gear i'm shifting into kinda a thing.

I see options such as
    Barton and Hurst aftermarket shifters. I need to know if that will give me more of what im looking for?
    Q) How hard is it to install?
    Q) Will it void new car warrantee?
    Q) is it worth that $500 +/- price?
    Q) what brand has the best, tight feeling?

Before you A8 owners come after me all I can say is at least Im feeling something with my right hand...:p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jared SRT Cat

Jared SRT Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have about 1500 miles on my m6 and i love the feel of it.. However i had a hurst short throw on an 09 i owned and i can say it did improve shifting times.. As far as waaranties i really really doubt you would void anything.. I installed mine myself on my 09.. I think the m6 shifter is great how it is from the factory myself, however, if you want an aftermarket short throw go with the barton... In my opinion not worth the 400-500 bucks tho

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love my m6 completely the skip shift I guess can be a pain half the time it might happen I always think I just goofed shifting but I do have the stop skip shift cable to put in my car once I figure out how to lift my car up I'll install it
    Also installed a Barton shifter very easy install shifter is way more precise
    Ron

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The skip shift is an attempt to meet CAFE standards on all brands using Tremec T-56 and 6060 transmissions. Vettes, Mustangs, Firebirds, Camaros, Vipers - they all have it too. Let the engine wind out like it's supposed to and you'll never even activate the skip shift. Once I paid attention after all the skip shift posts, I found that I normally shift to second at around 25 to 30 mph or in the 2,500 rpm range, give or take, when just putting around town. That's what sounds and feels normal to me. I forget the skip shift is even on my car.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im still doing my break-in and with me going easy it is bugging me. My thoughts area it may not be that big of deal after I can drive it normal. Im still thinking that product to make the skip shift go away may be the 1st mod I do if nothing else.

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my DD is a 4cyl 5sp Hyundai.. there is no skipping.. I must row all the gears unless going downhill! LOL,,.. when I got in the cat once in a blue moon in traffic and not thinking I would go for second at 20mph.. if you pass thru neutral u can U-turn and hit any gear.. but for $20 I added the eliminator.. as u know, 20mph is way too slow to hit 4th gear in a car that idles at 8mph in first.

im happy with the feel of my shifter

7. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Personally having owned other manual cars including a WRX I set some records with and never having driven anything with skip shift before I was hesitant in the beginning.

I love that feature!!

Works as it should, and doesn't interfere at all when driven hard. The fact that the car has enough torque to go from first to fourth and have no surging or chugging issues is impressive IMHO
    You could drive grandma too church on Sunday and she would think she is in her Camry , car can be driven extremely smooth and comfortably using that feature and doesn't have to be a high strung monster.

I find the shifts as smooth as butter and couldn't be happier with mine.

I went 9.74@ 142MPH with my 6spd WRX , so believe me when I say the Hellcat is Very Capable of quick shifts...

But the fact you can go from 1-4 kinda gives it the best of both worlds IMHO . Personally I won't be changing it on mine.

Just my honest opinion

8. Jugrnt

Jugrnt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Strangely, I think I hit the skip in my 392 roughly 3 times in 2years...and in my Cat, it seems to be at least once a week. Figures.
    I love the way it shifts in comparison to any other " high powered" vehicle I have driven. Positive engagements.
    However, I will be leaving it just the way it is.

9. Tanner

Tanner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the Barton in my '14 Shaker, it performs like they say, will follow suit with the Cat that is riding the rails as we talk. No other real issues with the skip shift.

10. Sublime 70

Sublime 70 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have skip shift in after it happened twice...2x's too many.......Installed Barton short throw , no problem, there is a video and it feels like butter..no problem keeping foot to the floor and shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd...never lifting!!...definitely worth the $$$...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the cable to fix the skip shift just can't figure out how to lift my car using my lift I have in my garage I put up a post on here trying to get ideas how I can lift my car using my lift but no luck yet
    But I do have issues going slow in first and shifting to second but if I'm whaling on it never had a issue not letting me go to second

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Should lift like every other Challenger or modern car. Either on the pinch welds or inboard on the front on the subframe, or at the back on the black lift spots

13. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I put on the skip shift eliminator from speedlogix was easy to do. Just wait for the exhaust to cool off before you do it. Lift the front drivers side up enough to wriggle under. (Please set up your jack stands safely, I used 3) use a screwdriver to unplug a cable from the drivers side of the tranny and plug in the new part. Easy peasy. Took about 15 minutes including the lifting. Works perfect I can shift to second whenever I damn well please.

14. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah lifting it is no biggy just like any other challenger there are several videos on YouTube if you're not sure where jacking points are. I used the pinch weld to lift it put a jack stand next to the jack on the same weld and a couple more stands where the front suspension is. If you look at it a bit it's pretty obvious where you should put the stands. Make sure to set your e brake before you lift it

15. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As unprofessional as it may be I have a few 2" x 12" boards I drive my cars up on that will give me "belly" room to change my oil and has worked on all my other cars as tight as it may be. I have yet to try in on my Hellcat.... Debating If I'm gonna take on the 1st oil change myself and hope the board would work but my questions is if I can get under the car via my boards or jack stands would I be able to reach the location of the skip shift connector with the car not being on a lift?