Manual/Nitto DR's/Drive shaft ???

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Tomcat707, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Tomcat707

Tomcat707 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have done all the searches and not really finding what I am looking for on this....

I have a manual tranny Challenger Cat. I want to try and clarify a couple of things on tires and drive shafts.

For the rear drag radials, can I use a 10 inch wide 20 inch wheels and mount the Nitto's (NT555R) in a 305/35R20 and have it all fit?

With the manual and the drag radials, is the factory drive shaft a problem? Does it need to be replaced with a DSS? Or...is that a problem just for the automatic cars?

Thanks.

2. Hemi Dave

Hemi Dave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Yes on the drag radials.... and you can also mount that size on the stock rims. I have them mounted on 10 inch replicas for ease of mounting and dismounting..

So far the drive shaft has not been a problem for the Manual Hellcats...... but the clutch has to be watched as it has given some a problem during hard launches on drag radials. If you smell clutch back off.

3. Tomcat707

Tomcat707 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is there a more durable/ high performance racing clutch that can be installed? along with the tires. And maybe if your clutch slipped less, you might need the drive shaft??

4. Hemi Dave

Hemi Dave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    There is one that just became available......
    ATTN: 6osd Owners MUST READ , BILLET CLUTCH!!!! | SRT Hellcat Forum

Give your stock car a try with the Nittos's 555R first.....

.Ran mine with the Nitto 555'R in the street tonight for the first time and got 11.4 @124...3.6 zero to 60.....

My clutch was fine, but I broke it in right for 6700 miles.......

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  5. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dave your clutch is fine cause you haven't launched on a prepped track but instead on the street. A glued track and good tires will eat your clutch in short order... Mine was broke in right for 8,000miles until I tried the drag radials on a prepped track. Tires grabbed but clutch couldn't hold.
    Car still drives perfect like a Camry but can't handle full engine power anymore and slips...
    As far as a driveshaft goes on a manual..... I see no need unless you upgrade the clutch, OE clutch doesn't have enough clamping force to twist shaft IMHO
    Look forward to seeing your timeslips from the track.
    Nice run for a street pass for Sure! Well done!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Hemi Dave

Hemi Dave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392

I was afraid of that......Good info......

A Bad Boyzz clutch will be replacing the clutch it fails, those look bad azz!!,....:D

Once I get it to the track I will post up time slips and let you know how my stock clutch held up......or didn't..

7. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Talk to your dealer they should/mine said yes... They will Comp u the factory costs and apply to BBG clutch 1600$ for stock that's only a grand for a good clutch at that point