SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Manual transmission outsells automatic transmission for hellcat

15K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 ·
#6 ·
My 09 R/T was an automatic and when I was looking at getting a 12 SRT I WAS going to go with the manual, but when I heard they had paddle shifters I went automatic again. The Hellcat is an automatic again! I think a manual would be "fun" but I truly love the paddle shifters!

#5 ·
The Manual Transmission Still Rocks
I have had the extreme pleasure of driving the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with each of the transmissions and were I ordering a 707hp Challenger right now, it would have the 6-speed manual transmission. The automatic transmission might make for the quicker stock drag racer, but that doesn’t replace the added fun to drive factor that you can only get with a proper manual transmission. I love driving a manual transmission and I believe that banging my own gears is worth what little compromise comes with the third pedal. Obviously, the majority of the first buyers of the Hellcat Challenger feel the same way, with 55% of them opting for the 6-speed manual.

It's like they interviewed me and took the words right out of my mouth!!!;)

#13 ·
Fastest way to the 1320 will be A8! Have the same 6 spd in my Viper, can't shift them fast at full throttle. You will loose all your boost between shifts=slower.

#15 ·
Let's hope dodge has enough manual transmissions to fill the orders or this might be the next item on the car to go the way of Laguna leather, brass monkey wheels, sun roofs and satin black hoods.

Reactions: 630
#21 · (Edited)
...just my two cents worth but a manual can be quicker in a standing-start 1/4 mile drag race with a sticky tire and a driver ( like me) who knows how to shift without lifting on the go-pedal ( AKA power-shifting). A manual car can be brought out at any RPM whereas a stock automatic with a stock torque convertor has only so much stall so the leave RPM's will be limited to usually 2,000 RPMs or less at the tree. The auto will be fine for 80 % of people but if they go to a drag strip and apples to apples pull up against a manual car with a gear-jamming driver their feelings are going to get hurt..

..wait a couple months until the real drag race guys run the Hellcat with the stick and see what they get out of her.With a sticky tire the car should 60ft in the 1.60's vrs the auto will probably be 1.80's at best.

#30 ·
I have 3 Dodges,,all manuals,,Ive re-built at least a dozen vintage TorqueFlites. They were great trannies for the time,,then they went to PCM commanded solenoid shifted automatics,,no comparison to the older valve bodied, mechanically operated vintage trans. Now we have an 8-speeder that can keep the torque peak when needed or increase wheel speed by upshifting at the HP peak. With paddle shifters it's going to be very hard to beat it. I think the 1/4 mile times will reflect this and around a road course the auto will keep the car planted better by decreasing the unbalance that occurs when the clutch disc and flywheel interact. IMHO,,but both will ROCK!! Yeah I got bad knees too! 1 replaced,,the other is going to be replaced in time.

#34 ·
If this was going to be my weekend car...I'd go with the 6 speed. I plan to use the Hellcat as my daily driver so I'll be going with the A8. Hour long stop and go commutes (when there is an accident-happens once a week ) is the primary reason.
The wife can't drive stick either...

Let's be honest...No auto OR paddle shifter in the world will be as much fun as a well sorted out M6 transmission.

#38 ·
More manuals than automatics. Good, my automatic will be worth more because there are less of them. Don't get me wrong, I used to love driving a manual. But I got old and my knees are shot! The military killed my knees.

BKuz

Reactions: gasser
#43 ·
Motor Trend's comment on automatics is priceless LOL ... (from video beginning to about 20 seconds in).

Forgive me but I don't see the issue with manuals even in stop and go traffic. Makes it less boring if you ask me.

#45 ·
I wouldn't have bought mine if I couldn't get it with a manual transmission. Just have no desire to own an automatic at all. We/ my wife has a 2014 Camaro ZL1, which has been tuned and had a pulley change with an automatic and I won't even bother driving it. It makes alot of power no doubt 650ish but it just gets boring to me. To each their own I am just glad we have the choice of which one to order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.