Matte Black Hood Maintenance

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by mixiao, Jan 23, 2016.

1. mixiao

mixiao Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Purchased a PCP hellcat in November and it had some paint imperfections on the hood. I was able to identify the problems before I took possession of the car. Worked with dealer and Chrysler and they've sent me a check for a new hood and paint.

Now here is the question or my dilemma. In the two months I've had the car maintaining that hood and cleaning it has been a hassle. That paint is just touchy and it shows absolutely everything. I've bought different products but it just not worth the effort in my opinion. So I'm going to have the new hood painted PCP so that I don't have to deal with it. I do like the look of the hood so I may end up wrapping it Matte or Carbon Fiber Black. Much easier to maintain that than paint.

Any advice on how to maintain that matte hood? I' dropping the car on Tuesday to get painted.

IMG_7486.JPG

2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How about this option:

Have your old hood wrapped with Satin Black ( or Matte Black. - what I have) 3m vinyl and leave it on the car. Have your new hood painted OEM Satin Black then cover it with matte finish clear PPF? You could actually leave either hood on the car and have decent protection. (Others here have done that if you care to search and contact them.). The vinyl (either clear or black) is pretty easy to maintain. You might also want to consider clear PPF on your front fascia as well. Stone chips come easily there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have a PCP Hellcat on the way with a Satin Hood its going right to shop to get #m clear over the hood

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use Dr. Beasleys on my factory matte hood and it works well.
    That said, if I had it to do all over again I'd wrap it like I did on my Scat Pack.
    Cost about $250 and it's held up well.

5. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If it was me I'd wrap it and leave the existing paint on. And if u ever decide to sell it offer a discount on the paint issue in the future. And I have the same car and all u have to do is touch it and it seems to scratch. And I have some scratches but does not bug me to much yet. And if it gets a lot worse I'd do just what I said to you. I think the black hood just gives the car a really bad ass look. I wouldn't go PCP on the hood. And the average person isn't going to be fixated on the black hood paint issues like u.:D
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. mixiao

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

7. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So glad those hoods were unavailable when mine came through... I wrapped mine and never looked back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stealth from xpel!! Keeps the satin look and protects the hood..

• Like Like x 2
  9. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You might want to fix this post, your entire message is listed a quote.

10. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Go to the hellcat wiki page, then documentation, there is a pdf posting on how to take care of the satin hood. You must be logged in to get to the wiki pages.

11. go fast chuck

go fast chuck Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You may not like hearing this but Harley Davidson has been using matte paint for years they call it denim.
    They sell a cleaner in a pump spray bottle for about 20 bucks specifically made for their denim ( i.e.matte ) paint it is not a wax and does not shine just cleans and removes grease and oil, water spots ect.
    I keep a bottle with a micro fiber towel in the trunk of my hellcat and finger prints, water spots, dust and scratches from dusting are a thing of the past. If it is good enough for my 45 thousand dollar Harley that costs 3 to 4 grand for a repaint on just a very few parts then I figure it is just fine for the matte black hood, spoiler, grill and under hood parts on my car. The 200 to 400 price for the recommended dodge cleaner protectant stuff is crazy I can repaint for that price or close to it labor not included.
    I also looked at and tried the Expel satin paint protection on a section of my hood and it did not like it because the matte paint is not smooth and air was trapped under it; plus it was not as dull but it worked great on the clear coat areas were the paint is smooth which would let you have a satin look in any color but not a full matte.
    I hope this may help you with another option to try before going as drastic as repainting. It is very very hard not to have dust or flaws in something that can not be buffed or color sanded its like spraying a single stage pearl metallic paint you get one chance or start over, been there done that not fun.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat yeah I like hearing this. I am Harley CVO owner:D
    image.jpeg

13. mixiao

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great feedback.. I'm going to stop at the Harley store tomorrow and get that cleaner and try it.. I may stay with Matte Black but I still have to repaint it no matter what.. The hood came from the factory with a couple small blobs of paint and a slight bent on the corner. To top it off the Dealer prepped the car and scratch the hood on the other front corner. I was thinking of painting the hood PCP but It looks much better matte black in my opinion.. So I am going to have it repainted black and see.

I found a great shop to do the repaint and they do Lambo's and exotics and guaranteed me that the hood will have no blobs. If I'm not happy Chrysler gave me enough money to buy another hood and start from scratch..

I was thinking of the Matte Xpel as that seem like a good idea. I'm going to go to a place tomorrow and try it as you did and see what I think.

Has anyone done a gloss black hood on a challenger?

14. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have never had any experience with Dr. Beasley's car care products but they have a product line dedicated to matte finishes.

15. Kado

Kado Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Theres all kinds of matte specific products out there, just search any of the big detailing websites. I'd recommend just doing a wrap or the stealth ppf. My cts-v was all wrapped matte grey metallic and it was the lowest maintenance finish I've ever had. Simply wash it and wipe it down with meguiars nxt quick Detailer.