Measured Mile New England July 12-17

Discussion in 'North Eastern States' started by pinetreecat, Jul 2, 2016.

1. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    New England and East Coast drivers can journey to Northern Maine's former SAC B-52 base and attend a sanctioned measured mile event on Loring Commerce Centre's 2-mile long runways.

Located near Limestone ME, hotels in Caribou ME (6 mi away) and Presque Isle ME (15 mi away).

Event starts Wednesday July 12 and concludes Saturday July 16. Many classifications to qualify/race in.

Cars from all parts if North America run here, including the vehicles usually at Bonneville (which is not running this year).

Hellcat owners may wish to check out the Supercar Section of the rulebook.

For more info

www.loringtiming.com

2. CatHerder

CatHerder SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    One of the regulations is drain all of the anti-freeze. Is this common?

3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Something is amiss here?

4. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone interested in attending the event that has tech questions can email the car tech director at kasselyn29@yahoo.com

5. CatHerder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The rule seems clear:
    VEHICLE OPERATING CONDITIONS
    B: All vehicles must remove all antifreeze from the cooling system (antifreeze is flammable)

I just wanted to know if this is required anywhere else. This, along with all of the other rules and regulations, would make it quite burdensome to race at this venue. I'm hoping this location is the exception and not the rule.

6. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Catherder you can type from the keyboard and make excuses for not driving to an event and run your car. That's ok, not everyone has the stones or the time and the checkbook to participate. It's fine. But antifreeze is flammable : nascar runs 250 laps and 500 to 600 miles on water in those engine blocks and live just ducky.

It's an inconvenient pain in the ass to switch out to water but me and 8 or 9 other 'cats registered are going to do what's asked to run safelt at this event.

Incidentally this track is at one of the few SAC bases deemed long enough to land a space shuttle at, plus was recent repaved just prior to base closure

Macon GA, Ohio, other spots including Bonneville don't compare with the length of the track available, the condition, the Drag Elevation, and the overall air density.

All that aside, the people are downright happy to host the event. It's a friendly place and a beautiful area to travel to.

So if you don't come up I'll post my and other Hellcat runs and you can read abut it.

7. CatHerder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for your reply. Although you did not answer my question concerning whether other tracks require draining of anti-freeze, I appreciated your keen insight concerning my "stones" time and checkbook.
    Your NASCAR references were interesting, although I'm not sure there is a lot of comparison between a NASCAR race car cooling system and a street car like a Hellcat, especially when a Hellcat warranty requires use of a prescribed specification antifreeze.
    I have no argument with a racing association requiring what they believe to be the best safety practices, although flammability of a 50/50 water anti-freeze mix is not universally accepted: http://reifire.net/text/ethylene.pdf.
    I fear that if Hellcats race in the Supercar Class, as previously suggested, the results will be preordained.
    Hellcats have demonstrated that they can go faster than 175 mph in a one mile run. However, the Supercar class is strictly limited to 175 mph with the threat of not only being thrown out of the competition, but the possibility that the entire class would be eliminated.
    Class Rules:
    3. Vehicles speed is strictly limited to 175 mph. Failure to comply with this limit will be grounds for
    immediate dismissal of the team and potentially the entire supercar class from the event.

It will tax the skill of the drivers to either pull back throttle or brake just before the one mile mark as to not run afoul of the 175mph speed limit.
    Although a Hellcat could race in another class without the 175mph speed limit, it would need a full roll cage, a chute, and numerous other requirements.
    You go on to state that "...other spots including Bonneville don't compare with the length of the track available,...". Technically you are correct, they don't compare. The "B-52" track appears to be 2.7 miles long. The "short" track at Bonneville is 4-5 miles long and the "long" track is more than 7 miles long.
    I hope that the event in Maine is a great success and that many Hellcats participate, especially ones with full rollcages and other safety equipment. Then, when you post the results for me to read, I will see more than a string of "175mph".
    Again, thank you for your reply, and bless your heart for your concern.

8. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

These are a few stock Cats at other mile events, think the 175 ceiling is reasonable enough.

9. CatHerder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hctor02 just went 170 in the 1/2 mile: Dodge Charger Hellcat PR half mile

10. Hulk

Hulk Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man, I bet this is gonna be a fun event to see/drive. I would totally drive up for a day to watch but over 5hr drive for me then to do a return trip is kinda rough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mile in 37 seconds: 1.08 gal of fuel burned.

12. Hulk

Hulk Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh man I wish I was up there

• Like Like x 1
  13. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll put some pics together.

I saw two 'Cats roll into town on trailers,,,,I'm driving mine over and back.

Going to be a poor D A on Wednesday with 85F 65Dewpoints and 60 to 70% humidity but a favorable southwest tailwind of 8 to 12 mph. Better conditions on Saturday air wise but a chance of thunderstorms so i will split my time up between wednesday and Saturday.

14. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm registered for The Colorado Mile coming up in September, while I'll go back and double check, I do not recall any requirement to drain coolant...

With that said, I'm not sure what I'd do about draining all of the rust inhibitors out of my car... even for a short period of time...

"Race" cars don't have heater cores and their engines get rebuilt from the ground up, all of the time, I'm sure as hell not going to do that to my car anytime soon...

15. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2.7 miles of concrete and asphalt. 20160713_132218.jpg