Media: SD cards, USB thumb drives, etc...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by schv, Jan 6, 2016.

1. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is another thread related to this subject, but It doesn't address my questions..
    So far my research on this forum has shown that the largest SD card that can be used is 32GB, or 128GB depending on who you ask. Has the max size value been determined for certain? There is no mention in any Chrysler document that I can find.
    Would that limit also apply to USB flash drives? I'd really like to find a way to put a 256GB device to use, but I don't want to go buy one not knowing if the system will recognize it. It doesn't matter much to me which format, although SD being physically smaller would be preferable to USB if a large enough capacity card would work. If both formats would work with up to 128GB each, I'd just install one of each and be on my way. I would have room for my entire collection, complete with artwork, in .wav format (same as what's on CD's).
    Lastly, I know most people use MP3 or some other form of digital compression. I don't. I am a wave file purist. :) That's the reason I'd like so much memory available (which would also free up my iPod Classic 160GB). There was some question whether uncompressed files like .wav's would play, but I can say with certainty they DO. They worked fine from my puny 8GB thumb drive, once given time to load the first time. The sound improvement is quite obvious on really well recorded music.

2. ChargeCat

ChargeCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I am using a 256 GB SD card. The trick is to format it in NTFS and be patient when you first insert the card as it will still show "insert device" while it begins to write the directory. Depending on how much data, this can take a while to fully populate. On subsequent start ups if the card has not been removed, it loads in a matter of a minute or so.

You will run into an issue with YOUR artwork being displayed on the head unit as it will not use the art files on the card / usb drive, but instead resources a database like or being Gracenote.

• Useful Useful x 4
  3. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Excellent!! Glad to hear it can talk to big cards! Off I go to Amazon.... :)

4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The other thing to be aware of is the music will be sorted alphabetically, even if you have stuff in playlists. Haven't found a way around this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ChargeCat

ChargeCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Mine keeps the album, artist, song, playlists, etc. sorting functions. Dont know if it matters, but I make my playlists using jriver media center then download from jriver to the SD card.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 64gb one in mine formatted as mentioned with no issues. There is maybe a 10 sec lag between starting the car and it read/recognizing the drive. I have 4,000 songs on the thing with room to spare so I can be patient. :)

7. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It must, because when I copy mine in the correct order to the SD card, U Connect just puts them alphabetically, regardless.

8. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK so this is great news that wav works. As someone who has more sacds DVD audio albums then mp3s I found the complete lack of a cd player a little upsetting. Can't believe that's progress but i digress.
    As I stuck with actual media and just now trying to catch up on digital format because of this car. What's the best wav player and place to get wav mysic?
    Thanks

9. FatCat

FatCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wav is the type file format used when saving music to a computer

10. 06SRT10NR

06SRT10NR The K.N.O.B. Rules Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DVD Audio Extractor does the job for ripping DVD-A's and audio from most DVD's, and will convert to .wav unfortunately, UConnect doesn't recognize any of the common surround formats [.ac3, .dts, .mlp, .ogg], or the better stereo formats [lpcm, alac, flac], so wav seems to be the best option.

EDIT: add 6 channel .wav files [24, 16 and 8 bit] to the list of formats that don't work. in fact, they crash UConnect

Haven't found anything to rip SACD yet. Got the first 5 Sabbath albums staring at me, demanding to be ripped, but ...

and yes, a 512GB SD card does work. just need to re-format as NTFS, and be patient the first time it's loaded. UConnect is so far the only system I've run across that won't accept media running exFAT. How they managed to pick a system that won't work with the most common from the factory format for 64GB and larger removable media, just makes no sense, unless someone got a really good bribe from MS

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Update for the 2016's: Purchased a SanDisk Extreme 95 MB/s card in the 64 GB size, to hold 8800 songs on 700 albums, at 192 kbps. Formatted it NTFS, and loaded it up with the files. Popped it into the car, expecting a 45 minute wait while it indexed, and it started playing within about 10 seconds! Another bonus, I don't have that 1-minute wait time each time I start the car, that ChargeCat mentions above. All album artwork appears to be working, as well.

Down side: I can only view songs by artist and album... not genre! This is killing me, as there's really no other way to get to an album in a reasonable amount of time, with so many albums and artists thru which to scroll. I also like to often just pick a genre and play random playlists from it. I guess I could manually sort them into folders by genre, but that would be a lot of manual sorting on my end. Any ideas on how to get the genres to load on uconnect?

I find that my old Windows Media Player play lists seem to have loaded with the music files, but not my newer iTunes play lists. Or put more accurately, there are playlists showing up on uConnect that I created long ago, and I believe they are the old ones I used to use with WMP.

It will be great to not rely on keeping my iPod classic in the car anymore, as it would always flake out when left in the car in cold weather.

12. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i tried ntfs then ended up formatting to fat32 on a sandisk 32 gig sd card
    it works for me but still a little buggy..