Memorial Day... Never Forget Our Hero's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hemi Rocket, May 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I posted this on another thread... Figured this story and other like it deserves it's own thread. Post up if you have one.

Visiting my parents this weekend and honoring my uncle who died in WWII in the raids over Polesti oil fields in Romania... Polesti supplied fuel to the German war machine under Hitler. He never returned from that mission.:(

My uncle was the Bombardier in a B24 who rode in the nose of the plane which took a direct hit to the nose. All went down... only survivor was the Pilot... who told the story of what happened. They all knew it was a suicide mission... a bomber mission with no fighter plane support (Never had been done before or ever again) but a very important mission to the war effort..."Coming back was secondary". Truly remarkable story and what honor and courage these guys had.

Loved how these guys named their planes... my uncle flew in a B24 that was called the "Vulgar Virgin" see this video and fast forward to 20:40... the names of the crew are at 24:08... 1st LT "Robert N. Austin". He would be 98 today... his brother Warren was a fighter pilot in a P47 who is 95 and still living today. God bless these hero's! We do remember their sacrifices in our family... I only hope others don't forget! Take a minute and look at this video. The second video was the actual mission with actual footage (film) of the raid. An amazing piece of history.

The Surgeon General has no problem with you Smoking the Competition!;)

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 5
  2. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks hemirocket, it is heartwarming and necessary to remember our fallen heroes. The story is incredible and the videos are too.
    Take care HR and give that sublime cat at big smile for me

3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah MAB... Given the day it is a story I had to share... We need to get to another show... any word on the rescheduling the Harbor House cruise in? ;)

4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    July 24th same time and hours. The weather here the day of our original show didn't clear until almost 11. We are going to have a bigger and better show now regardless.
    Frankie should have posted it on our fb group. The updated promotion flyer is in hemmings.com too

5. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

both videos are good.